collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Collecting Toys...  (Read 4172 times)

Offline RavenWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Collecting Toys...
« on: May 18, 2012, 05:13:50 PM »
... Apparently its like stealing from children.  :|

I was at a thrift store earlier with my one friend (apparently I need to stop hanging out with Alice as she's a weird encounter magnet. LOL) Anyway I was over looking at the toys when she comes over all excited saying look what I found on a shelf over in housewares! and she hands me Lily Lightly and asked if I have her in my collection yet? I told her I didn't and how cool it was that she still worked, when this elderly lady comes up to us all upset and asked if I was really buying that toy for myself and then went into a rant saying "you adults who collect toys aught to be ashamed of yourselves! taking toys away from children, you should all grow up and get a real hobby and stop stealing from little children! why some little girl would come in here and love to have that toy! thats who should buy her! not adults who need to grow up" and then she just stormed away...  :shocked:

I can honestly say thats one of the oddest encounters I've had in a thriftstore and I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it. :huh:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Collecting Toys...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 05:18:29 PM »
Don't let some cranky old lady make you feel bad for liking ponies. You will love that pony just as much as any kid would.

Just like all of us we love our ponies and it makes us happy to find them as well.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
How did she know you weren't buying it for a little sister or something?  Judgmental people drive me crazy.   I would've laughed gleefully all the way to the register. 
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 05:25:38 PM »
I don't see the point in being ashamed of something that brings you joy? Maybe she don't get the joy in collecting?
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 05:27:12 PM »
Wow. I think she may have had a bad day and was just looking for a target. It's not like that was the last pony on earth. I think Hasbro keeps pony collectors in mind because they want to sell to both children and adults IMO anyway. So they're not just for kids, they're for the kids at heart too :)
My Wish List

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »
Well that's just silly...if it makes you happy, it makes you happy. Age shouldn't matter. Besides, it's not like there aren't enough toys or even MLP to go around.

Offline KtKat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »
Wow, just because we get older we're supposed to quash our childhood joys?  I think not.  I was walking around Toys R Us today, grinning like a goon, and I wouldn't trade that unabashed joy for anything.  When it comes down to it, there's plenty of ponies out there for everyone- that lady needs to relax :O

Offline ShannonInPonyland

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »
Wow, that's really terrible that people think like that  :huh:
Everyone is entitled to collecting whatever they want to collect. Just because you choose what is technically a children's toy doesn't make you any different from someone who collects stamps or teapots. I don't know. I don't like it when people hate on others for their hobbies, especially when it comes to pony collecting. I mean if you're not doing anyone any harm then there's no reason for someone to come up to you out of no where and voice their opinion.
I would take it with a grain of salt really. You like ponies, you collect them and that's that. Not everyone understands it but oh well  :)

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »
What a silly lady. That pony had to have come from somewhere, like a child who didn't want it anymore!

Offline RavenWolf

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 05:58:55 PM »
I have to admit it upset me a little, mostly I was surprised and embarrassed as no one has ever reacted to my collecting MLPs like that before, not to mention Ive never had a complete stranger come up to me and start ranting at me, my overly shy self wanted to crawl away and hide...  :blush:
Of course my goof ball friend wouldn't let me, she marched me to the checkout saying rather loudly  "she's probably one of those closet collectors and just wanted the pony for herself" lol :lol:

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

cesprins

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »
Haters gonna hate!

Old people can be so rude.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 06:19:01 PM »
I would have pointed out that it's rude to shout at people.....and that it can be dangerous to talk to strangers. lol

Dyzarktarzk

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »
Maybe she's angry because she havs NOTHING to make her smile o.O

And what's wrong on loving ponies and buying them for ouselves?  I know, ponies are children toys, but there's also a lot of adults who loves things designed or inted for kids.  And at least, I'm really happy to still being happy collecting thing that make me smile =)

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »
Sounds like my mom's view on thrift ponies haha She won't let me shop at goodwill because I would be taking away the "cooler" ponies (ie. G1, G3.) from kids who can't afford many awesome toys. But, if it was a regular thrift shop, she couldn't care less. WEIRD, I KNOW. I take only one thing away from it: MY mom thinks older ponies are cooler lol

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
I wonder if something that happened to her earlier put her into a bad mood.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal