collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 634
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Hey there, everyone!  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Adarkdraconis

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
Hey there, everyone!
« on: January 25, 2020, 05:40:11 PM »
Howdy, all!

This adventure all came about because my child asked me if I could teach her how to braid...

I then shared with her how I learned how to braid when I was 6 on my My Little Pony's tail!  She started asking about my pony and I told her my story: she was blue with pink hair and was a hand-me-down from my cousin.  I never knew her name, I just called her 'Pony'  I took her on many adventures and we had lots of fun together until my mother sold her at a yard sale for drug money because she decided I was 'too old for that darn horse, anyway.'

I have recently begun research into the wonderful world of ponies because my daughter has started enjoying them.  I have found out that the pony I owned was Bowtie, and I found one in great condition for her on Ebay for a very reasonable price, her bows are just faded but that is to be expected for a gal well in her 30s!  My little one was so pleased to have the same toy that I had as a kid (I don't have much from my childhood to pass down.)  Well, Bowtie had to have some friends...

She likes the 'regular ponies, not the alien looking ponies' (her description of the newer ones,  :lol: she is 5) which I have come to learn the ones she likes are the G1 and G3, and so they are older now, but I have found some bargains for some of the ones she wanted.  I recently found one of her favorites, Minty from the Christmas movie, but her hair had faded (every single one I saw on Ebay had white hair instead of pink, apparently a common problem called fading pink?) so I have now started my adventure in pony hair coloring.  Her Scootaloo also has a small part of her marking missing, I will try to touch that up in the future.

Any advice, tips for care or simple restoration tricks would be appreciated, and also just education and chatting about ponies!

Thanks, from Ohio
~Draconis
:cold:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Hey there, everyone!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 05:02:59 AM »
Hi :)

That's so great you figured out what your childhood pony was.

I would suggest buying your child new retro MLP made by Basic Fun for the G1s because that option exists now. You can find them at Target ( https://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=retro+my+little+pony ) they are on an inner end cap with other retro toys. I think people also have found them at Cracker Barrel.

The plastic in G1 ponies weren't made to last long term, so many ponies now deal with leaking plasticizer. That's fine for people who want to put them on their shelves, but for kids, eh, getting random plastic chemicals on their hands probably isn't the best. At least have your kid wash her hands. But as I said, now there is a good solution to that (before the retros I'd just say proceed with caution).

This is a good site for restoration info : http://www.mlppreservationproject.com
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Adarkdraconis

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 06:58:19 AM »
Thanks for the advice!  I didn't know they made new old-looking ponies, I'm sure she would love those.  I am also glad to know about the plastic degradation.  Bowtie is her only G1, the others are all G3 so I assume plastic got friendlier in the 2000s?  Maybe I could convince her that Bowtie is tired and needs to rest on a shelf for a while.  She was just so chuffed to have a toy that I had!  Do you think her 80s Transformers that were her father's have the same problem with chemicals?  I know they are a harder plastic.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 07:28:42 AM »
They did make a bowtie reproduction if you want to look out for that. I think she was in the stores last year, and I haven't seen her since... So you'd probably have to find her second hand.

I'm not sure with the transformers. I know with the ponies it's something within the softer plastic-- since the ponies will turn hard after they leak the plasticizer stuff. I would just have her wash her hands after, just as a good precaution. There's some transformer fans on here, so maybe they can give you a better answer. :)

I think in the long term G3s will start to degrade as well. IIRC I've read that a few have. But as a parent, I wouldn't worry about it unless I saw some obvious signs (Aka when they get sticky).

Offline Adarkdraconis

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 06:57:44 PM »
Thanks so much!  I had a talk with her and Bowtie is going to have a spa day on my day off this week in which she will be all spiffed up and get ribbons braided in her tail to feel fancy, and then be put on her shelf in her room to watch over all of the other toys.  I had to explain to her that Bowtie was so old that her plastic just wasn't very safe anymore, and that she is still a good pony but might get unhealthy stuff on our hands if we play with her just because her plastic is an old kind of plastic.  She understood and was a bit disheartened, but agreed that as long as she still got to keep Bowtie it was okay.

I did some looking and Ebay had some new ones in a box.  Everywhere else was sold out, even Amazon!  So I paid an exorbitant amount for a pony plus shipping, but this way I knew it was for sure a new Bowtie and not an older one.  Having not much experience I don't know if I could tell the difference if they were both out of their box and I wanted to be safe rather than sorry!  None of her ponies are sticky yet, their plastic all feels nice and smooth, but Bowtie does have that old plastic smell if you give her a strong sniff, even after having been washed well when we got her, that I think just comes with the age and the material.  I am sure if it is not degrading now it will start to.  I hope she is surprised and pleased when New Bowtie comes next week!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 05:21:11 AM »
Aw, I bet she will have a really good time opening up the new one. :)

Offline Spinky69er

• BBE Enthusiast Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+160)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 06:04:50 PM »
Welcome to the Arena :wave:

It's so wonderful that both of you can venture down the pony path together.  Hope you enjoy your time on the forum!

Offline OleGrayMane

• Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 04:52:27 AM »
Welcome fellow Ohioan

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 07:25:29 AM »
Welcome to the arena! :)

Offline Adarkdraconis

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »
Thanks, everyone! I am excited to be here!  I get to relive the childhood I didn't experience  with my daughter in many ways, and this is something we both are enjoying together.  It's awesome!

Hey, OleGrayMane!  Glad to find a neigh-bor...  :biggrin:
 NE Ohio here, and thankful for such a mild winter!

Post Merge: January 29, 2020, 01:51:03 PM

Also may be an odd question but... why does it say I am a Bratz Pony under my name?  I am not a big Bratz fan, can I just be a pony?  Lol
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 01:51:03 PM by Adarkdraconis »

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 08:54:42 PM »
Hi and Welcome to the Arena!
Have a fun here :D

The ranks change has you post. A Bratz pony lasts for a very short time!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal