collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Restoration  (Read 914 times)

Offline kid80

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
G1 Restoration
« on: February 15, 2021, 03:01:20 AM »
Hi everyone.

Not sure if this is the right forum--please advise if not ;)--but I'm looking for advice on two topics:

1) Restoring white hair
I have a secondhand G1 Powder whose white hair had extremely yellowed. Sunfading has helped quite a bit, but wondering if anyone has tips to push her a little closer to bright white

2) Cleaning rust or mold inside
Also have a secondhand G1 Skyflier. When I removed her head to clean her I realized her poor insides were completely covered with either mold or rust. Not sure which -- I was so grossed out I put her head back on and tucked her away. I'm really hoping she is salvageable and am looking for recommendations on what to use for a deep inside clean.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
Re: G1 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 03:24:17 AM »
For the hair, toothpaste is great! You could also try Oxy powder and soak her in a warm water Oxy solution for a few hours. This will also help with the dirt inside.

Have you taken the rusty tail washer out? When you have done that i clean inside with an antibacterial soap and a bottle brush or small toothbrush to get inside the legs and head. Then then the pony upside down onto a radiator to dry out (with the head off).

Hope that helps!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 03:28:28 AM »
I agree with the above, yellowed white hair is often possible to clean up with toothpaste. I'd use hand (not dish)  soap to get the toothpaste out, then hot water to re-style the hair and finally a tiny drop of baby oil to finish off.

If you decide to clean inside with the washer still in (esp. if it's not rusty) then try pushing the tail in slightly to allow the air to get around it properly to dry. If the washer is rusty but still intact you might want to try and save the washer by sanding it and applying a coat of clear acrylic varnish before re-assembling.

Best of luck.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:14:49 AM »
mlppreservationproject.com

NEVER use acne cream !!!!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kid80

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 07:32:22 PM »
Thanks for these tips! How long do you typically leave toothpaste in the hair to re-whiten?

Baby oil--cool! Had not thought of that!

I've heard good things about the oxy bath, so I'll give that a try as well.

Haven't taken out the washer yet, but I will for sure. I've actually been replacing the washers with zip ties, which has been working out well!

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 03:53:17 AM »
I would honestly avoid any oils, especially leaving them in as oil can affect plastic over time, and g1 vinyl is already a bit unstable ^^'
(In conditioners should be fine, as you rinse them out. ) Good luck restoring your ponies! Restoring is such a rewarding part of collecting IMO :lovey:

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 05:04:31 AM »
I would defintely try the toothpaste - it's worked wonders for me in the past! Also, oxyclean is great. Good luck!
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 12:11:32 AM »

Baby oil--cool! Had not thought of that!

I found the idea from people who restore vintage cars and boats with soft plastic trimmings and interiors and after 6+ of use I can confirm that it works well. I also read that pony hair (nylon) has mineral oil on it from manufacture. Make sure you just use a tiny amount and that it's mineral oil (i.e. petroleum), not organic (like almond, sunflower etc.).

As for the toothpaste, I leave it on for a while but don't let it dry too much. I think it's more that it lightly scrubs the hair when you brush it through rather than a chemical effect.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline silverdragon54

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 05:18:38 PM »
For cleaning the inside, I like to use denture cleaning tablets. Crumble it up and put about 1/4 in each leg, fill with hot water, and leave her overnight. Minty fresh ponies!  :biggrin:
Will make custom plushie for MIB Fashion Style Applejack. PM for details!

See my pony art here!
My items for trade
My wanted list
My plushies!, Handmade plushies for sale!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal