collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Weird Taobao ponies (factory extras/knock offs? Or indication of future size?  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
So a bunch of approx. fashion style ponies appeared on Taobao-
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Knock offs?  That's what I thought until I got them. They are really different than your typical knock off-  REALLY high quality- perfectly branded, with real nylon pony hair that is the same color of the nylon used by Hasbro, and very high quality feeling plastic, eye and symbol paint (all of the other knock offs that have come out have very obvious quality problems with all of these things).

But then again- there are things about them that don't make sense.  Specifically- the branding says 2010, so they aren't a new mold (even though it does appear Hasbro is going to a smaller size for fashion style- see new FS fluttershy).  The symbols are also smaller - most telling, the color of the plastic is a little different.  Finally, the body mold is all the same- earth pony.  So no horn for Twilight, no wings for Dash or Fluttershy.  The slightly off colors and same body mold are the things that tend to suggest high quality knock-off.  Probably made by the same factory that makes the ponies for Hasbro.

Anyway- took some comparison photos so you could see for yourself.

The new ponies are smaller than regular fashion styles- but actually, the same size as the new fashion style rainbowified Fluttershy

But check out the color difference in the body plastic for Dash...

Comparison to original wingless Rainbow Dash

The branding (all the same) 2010 Hasbro- has the MLP symbol- everything looks legit?

Anyway- this appears to be the only way I'll get new FS ponies so I got a bunch.  Finally got an Applejack too- since I've been waiting long enough for Hasbro to re-release that character so I can finally have one...

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
If a bootleg company just uses an already existing mold from Hasbro to make a new mold, it would still have the Hasbro info printed on the bottom...

Alternatively, they might be real and Hasbro was doing all the Mane 6 in Earth pony molds with extra colors in the hair just to check on colors and stuff (RD looks kinda pale compared to her previous FS-size).
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
Hmmm that is interesting.  I have to say though, that I like the eye shape and style much better on these Taobao toys than the other molds.  But weren't the square-ish shaped light spots in the eyes a staple of the Crystal Empire toys?

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
If a bootleg company just uses an already existing mold from Hasbro to make a new mold, it would still have the Hasbro info printed on the bottom...

Alternatively, they might be real and Hasbro was doing all the Mane 6 in Earth pony molds with extra colors in the hair just to check on colors and stuff (RD looks kinda pale compared to her previous FS-size).

I agree it could very well be color tests for the hair or symbols on a smaller size.  Except there seem to be so MANY of them.

The problem with a bootleg company using an existing mold-  is that this mold hasn't been used before.  It is smaller than the fashion styles from 2010, but branded 2010.  If it were a re-cast, than the branding wouldn't be so sharp.  Another possibility is that the factory is using a mold that Hasbro rejected at some point. 

Anyway, it's all very odd.  I guess we might know more as more of the 2014 Hasbro ponies are unveiled (if they have colors like these tests it supports the test pony theory I think)

I do love pony mysteries  :biggrin:

Post Merge: January 29, 2014, 09:35:21 AM

Hmmm that is interesting.  I have to say though, that I like the eye shape and style much better on these Taobao toys than the other molds.  But weren't the square-ish shaped light spots in the eyes a staple of the Crystal Empire toys?

Oh yeah! That's another for the list of odd things.  Also- all the ponies have the same eyes- which isn't typical of Hasbro at all.  ALthough maybe they would do that for test runs... just don't know.

I do like the eye shape too-  it's the same one used in the Chinese New Year Pinkie and the new GIANT Pinkie found in Brazil.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:36:08 AM by Galactica »

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
wouldn't surprise me if Hasbro made them smaller... to save money....just hope they don't make Regualr Brushables any smaller! D:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
I think they are kind of cute looking.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
wouldn't surprise me if Hasbro made them smaller... to save money....just hope they don't make Regualr Brushables any smaller! D:

Wouldn't surprise me either.  They already made Fluttershy smaller and changed the quality of her hair (that super long hair is not nylon- it is cottony stuff).  Except.... the new small fluttershy says 2013 on her hoof- while these molds say 2010.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Yeah...I'm falling on the side of fakies, myself.

Are there any ponies recently made that used the same shade of blue as in Rarity's mane, or the purple in Fluttershy's? They look different from Dash's and Rarity's/Twilight's shades.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile

Are there any ponies recently made that used the same shade of blue as in Rarity's mane, or the purple in Fluttershy's? They look different from Dash's and Rarity's/Twilight's shades.

The blue in Rarity's mane actually matches the streak of light blue in Celestia's mane- 
I am tending to think really well done fakies too- probably by the same factory that actually makes MLP, which explains why they look so good and appear to be using the same high quality plastic and pony hair.

I haven't compared the purple in Fluttershy's- but will do so when I get home :)

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile

The blue in Rarity's mane actually matches the streak of light blue in Celestia's mane- 
I am tending to think really well done fakies too- probably by the same factory that actually makes MLP, which explains why they look so good and appear to be using the same high quality plastic and pony hair.

I haven't compared the purple in Fluttershy's- but will do so when I get home :)

I will be interested to know if she matches anyone :) I really like these Discorded ponies even if they are fakies- I can't wait for our group order to arrive.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
How many have been produced?

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
Marigold there seem to be a LOT of them available-  another clue that they are more likely knock offs than test shots.  Usually with tests/ first shots there are only a few around, like 6 or so. 

I got a couple of sets because they weren't very expensive, and I think they would make good customs.  When the Applejack one came out- I got some of those too (since I never did get the original) but unfortunately I didn't get them shipped out quick enough- and now that Chinese New Year is going on- Taobao and all the agents are closed for business until like Feb 6th or 8th or something- so I won't see them until sometime after that  >_<

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
I tried to put an order in for a set of them, but like you said: Happy New Year! 

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
I tried to put an order in for a set of them, but like you said: Happy New Year!
It wasn't until I started playing Taobao that I realized HOW MANY holidays the Chinese have!  So jealous... wish our office closed more than like 6 days of the year... -_-

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
Thank you so much for these comparison shots! I'm super interested in this frankenpony mystery, too!

Do these ones all have the same body / pose as Wingless Dash?

Is it possible that the bodies are the same size, but the head molds are different, causing the smaller size on these ones? Maybe they all have the new Fluttershy's head!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal