collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice needed: Hair change color & Show me your style!  (Read 1013 times)

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
Advice needed: Hair change color & Show me your style!
« on: December 19, 2014, 06:18:16 PM »
Hi all!

I need to make a change, and I'm going to start with my hair. When I was younger I used to dye my hair in all colors. I would keep them dark, because I feel that lighter colours don't suit me... but the thing is:

It's been more than ten years since I did something to my hair other than the ocasional cut and style. I have a my natural colour: dark brown hair, long and not in too bad shape. I have a pale skin that tans into a golden tone. And I have dark brown eyes. So nothing too exotic as you might guess.

I want to do something risky and different: I want it dark purple or such. But I don't know what to do.... First I thought of a few locks of a different color, then I thought about ombré hair, but in purple instead of the natural blonde (don't know if you call them like that.. I looked it up in google). The other option was to dye all my hair purple...  :dizzy:

So many doubts!! When I was younger I would simply go ahead and do it, and if I didn't like the result then do something different on top....

Any advice?

And to see if I can make up my mind... Show me your hair styles!!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 06:29:20 PM by LadyPinwheel »

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed: Hair change color & Show me your style!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »
The great thing about hair is if you don't like how it turns out, you can always cut it off and let it grow back or dye over it. Since you're unsure about whether or not you want to go all out, I would suggest peekaboo colouring, so you can hide it or show it depending on your mood, or just go with the tips, if you don't like it, it's easy enough to cut it out. I really do like the ombre idea of brown to purple, its quite pretty in photo's that I've seen.

I have had my hair just about every colour imaginable, sadly I don't have many pictures showing off the various colours and styles. I would say if you want to make that change, go for it!

Because of your current colour, it's difficult to get the results you want without lightening it first, so if you aren't handy or comfortable doing that yourself, I would strongly recommend a professional colourist. The purple will be easy to add yourself if you choose to go that route :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
Purple sounds fun! Though I'm afraid I have zero useful advice. I do hope you'll share pics when you do though!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

brittney_rochelle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:14:19 PM »
I've done a full hair dye of manic panics vampire red about 2 years ago. It was soooo much fun. I didn't bleach my hair though and it was still super bright. I have a medium brown natural color.

If you bleach it, do it when you have a few days to hole up. You need to be as close to white as possible in order for the color to be vibrant and be the bottle color. Do it a little bit at a time to avoid damage.
I suggest manic panic personally. I've used it plenty of times (stated with an 3 inch wide blue streak by my ear and then when it faded I used purple)

As far as style, try peekaboo! You put it in a hidden layer of hair so you can style it to where you can or can't see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 07:58:47 AM »
you could try a dark plum or a black cherry, that way it'll show your hair as dark but when you move into the light, the loveliest dark red purple highlights will show up. manic panic and punky colors are my choice if ya wanna go wild again :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

ponygrl07

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 08:24:30 AM »
I have similar hair (dark long hair) I did the ombre (dark near my roots to light pink at the ends) LOVED IT. I recommend it! When you have an ombre you can always pull your hair up and it appears normal (due to the dark roots) and you get the loveliest bright colored pony tails and buns!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:49:12 AM »
I have similar hair (dark long hair) I did the ombre (dark near my roots to light pink at the ends) LOVED IT. I recommend it! When you have an ombre you can always pull your hair up and it appears normal (due to the dark roots) and you get the loveliest bright colored pony tails and buns!

that sounds gorgeous! (I have long dark hair too) I'd love to see

ponygrl07

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 09:07:24 AM »
Here is how my hair was done. (I am back to my natural hair color but the Ombre pink has been my favorite hair style I've had). It started really bright pink and faded to a light pink/orange over a couple months. I loved it at every stage.

sorry in advance for the selfies

I LOVED having a big pink bun on my head hahaha. :)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
I would agree that you may want ot try a peekaboo first and see if you like it.  I would also second a professional.  You have dark hair which means you will need to get it bleached and if you don't know what you are doing that could turn out horrible.

That and you don't want the dye to bleed after its done.  That happened to mum once >>

Me, personally--I don't have any coour in right now but ive had both caramel blonde and red streaks int he past.  The one I loved most was red peekaboos that faded into the most gorgeous natural shade of auburn <3<3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Pegaso80

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 10:39:48 AM »
ponygrl07, wow!!!I love it!!
 I've had dark purple with a red touch for some years and it's amazing under the sun light, now I have a cherry colour  (similar to sugarberry  :P) because I wanted something shocking! My mum hates it, by the way.
The boring thing of this kind of colour is that it needs to be done again in less than a month as it looses its brightness, sometimes I'm too lazy to have this into account and my hair turns into a faded horrible orange.
Here, a pic of me a year ago, sorry I couldn't find any other, that's the dark purple with red. Good luck and courage!!

Post Merge: December 20, 2014, 06:16:48 PM

I took this pic of me tonight before going out with friends in my red red ;)) if you like it I'll give you the name  :biggrin: as we live in the same country I think it won't be difficult for you to find it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:16:48 PM by Pegaso80 »
:rainbow: Nemo patriam quia magna est amat, sed quia sua (Séneca)
Beati Hispani quibus vivere bibere est (Iulius Caesar) :rainbow:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 08:21:03 PM »
you girls look great

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 12:40:51 AM »
I've had dark purple hair. I had dyed it black forever and started to dye the outgrow dark purple instead. I am a dark blonde so it stuck really well. I loved it alot but it was soo much work as it quickly faded to red and I had to redo it every two weeks. But I loved the colour and miss it alot.

About a year ago, I went to the hairdresser and undyed the hair and got a new colour, a beautiful chocolate brown instead. It faded to blonde and just two days ago I went back and got a colour more similar to my original one.

Feels like I've become boring, but oh well. Less work with this colour..

ponygrl07

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »
so many pretty colors!

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 07:15:47 AM »
Finally got on the computer to get some photos off facebook.

Spoiler

These were taken in bathroom lighting where its not the best in the world.
This one though, was taken in the living room with natural lighting. Its the best I could find that shows the true color. You get to see my baby, I mean dog, at least!

And this is an older photo. The first time I dyed my hair "funky." It was green the first time I did it because I didn't leave the bleach in long enough and the blue didn't turn out blue! But I loved it!

We dyed my (then)14 year old brother's hair over the summer as well. It was fun for him to have while he wasn't in school. He had to go back to normal afterward but my aunt (hairdresser but not familiar with these funky dyes at all) just simply covered it with HER dyes and....it went funky dark forest green. I told her to let me do it but noooo  :P
Spoiler
He was asleep haha
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:17:42 AM by brittney_rochelle »

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »
i have just dyed my hair red and green for xmas with crazy colour it lasts about 8 washes  ,mine is pretty dark as i had high lights in it last time i dyed it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal