collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Would you be upset?  (Read 1418 times)

LadyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
Would you be upset?
« on: November 16, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »
Well a while back I found the new born twin "Big Top" at a garage sale for a quarter. I bought her and then realized she was a twin so I've been looking for a good deal on Toppy for a couple months now, with no such luck.

I ended up paying full blown retail value (I usually find ponies and get a deal on them for a few bucks under what they're worth) because I really wanted the set of twins.

Well I get Toppy in the mail today and I notice right away that the tail seemed a little short in comparison to the ponies I have. I grabbed big top and held them side by side and Toppy is missing about an inch off her tail..... It was a bummer but at that point I still was happy to finally have them together...

Well when I got her in the light I also noticed glue all around her neck and there's actually a hair glued into the neck (like its not attached to the mane or anything its just a strand of white hair. Basically it looks like someone took off the head for something (I'm assuming with the hair in the glue that they rehaired something) and poorly glued it back on.

I wasn't going to bring it up to the seller until I found the glue smears all over the ponies neck and shoulder.

Basically would you be upset that you paid full price for a pony and then you got a arts and craft project? I mean she's still pretty but I really don't think she's worth what I paid. I expected something without glue all over it.

DavidC

Re: Would you be upset?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 08:43:42 AM »
Yes, I'd be upset if I paid something like "Mint, Complete, Loose" prices for what sounds like a restoration or custom.

LadyBird

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:52:59 AM »
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/160503555?ref=fb2_tnx_title

That's the ad, you can see it says everything is "little to no marks" on everything. The glue actually goes all the way down one leg. Either way I'm pretty frustrated because the seller has "no returns or refunds" so I hope this doesn't mean I will end up just having to eat this....

Offline StarFaerie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 09:29:42 AM »
Their policy is irrelevant if you paid by Paypal, as Paypal will make them accept it back if Paypal agrees it is not as described and make them repay you the purchase price and shipping. Though you will have to pay to ship it back to them by a tracked shipping type.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman in possession of disposable income, must be in want of a pony.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 10:04:43 AM »
If I got a pony without being informed it was a rehair, I'd definitely be annoyed! Maybe the person you bought it from wasn't aware--we had an instance of that here recently. Maybe PM them and find out, and they may offer a partial refund. Fingers crossed!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »
It's not an unreasonable possibility that the glue is a factory defect. G1's heads were glued on & that glue is not always neatly applied. I have 2 childhood ponies with part of their manes stuck in their neck seams, and many more with visible glue around their necks & bodies. From the Etsy picture, the hair appears to be original based on the texture. Personally, I would not suspect it to be rehaired (based solely on the picture). Of course, the only way to tell a rehair for sure is to look at the "weave" inside the head.

The tail looks like its a normal length from the picture, so it could easily have been accidentally overlooked by the seller.

What was the sale price? I'd expect that pony to be in the $5-8 range for the condition described. The Etsy link only shows it as "sold" (I'm viewing the mobile version, so if the regular site shows the sale price I apologize for the question).

If you are unhappy, try to work things out with the seller before leaving feedback. The flaws don't sound too severe, in my opinion, but every collector is entitled to their own opinion of what flaws are acceptable.

Offline sweetlittlejenny

• Trade Count: (+99)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »
I agree with kitkatvintage. Based on those pics she looks factory to me. Her tail looks ok too.I wouldn't suspect a rehair.
And I also agree that some G1 ponies do have sloppy neck seam with drips and hair glued in the seam. It's not all that uncommon.
If you really suspect a rehair then I would pop her head off and look at the weave like kitkatvintage mentioned and look at how her tail is put together.
Good luck getting things sorted out.

Click banner for my customs gallery.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
I also agree that she looks factory, and I have gotten several G1's that have had glue issues around the neck seam, so I don't think it's as uncommon as you may think.

It really is up to you if you decide to return it, from the pictures though she looks minty.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 12:41:40 PM »
I have a few ponies with the sloppy neck glue and a few stray hairs coming out of the neck. It's a pretty common factory flaw.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 12:57:26 PM »
She looks to be in great condition!  Plenty of G1s have neck glue and sometimes the hair strands got caught in it.  :)  And her tail is angled a little higher so it looks a little shorter but that is just the pose. 

If you paid anywhere from $8-12, you got a fair price.  Maybe I'm being a little harsh here but I don't see the issues you are complaining about, and it's certainly not something to ask a refund over and say negative things about the seller.  :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 01:39:45 PM »
I'd probably be a little irritated, but it takes a LOT to really get me mad these days. :P 

Is the glue you are talking about hidden my her mane in the pics?  I suggest asking the seller if they noticed it, and mention you are disappointed that it wasn't listed in the description; as others said, messy glue is common from the factory. 

The shorter tail length could easily be factory, too; at least one of the twin sets were released in short and long haired versions(the slumber party ones).  I haven't heard of any other sets of twins with that showing up, but it could just be everyone assumes the shorter hair ones have had hair cuts!
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 07:08:11 PM »
She looks to be in great condition!  Plenty of G1s have neck glue and sometimes the hair strands got caught in it.  :)  And her tail is angled a little higher so it looks a little shorter but that is just the pose. 

If you paid anywhere from $8-12, you got a fair price.  Maybe I'm being a little harsh here but I don't see the issues you are complaining about, and it's certainly not something to ask a refund over and say negative things about the seller.  :(

I have to agree... I have many G1s with glue and hair around their neck, I just got a Wind Drifter who had a mane hole punched right IN her neckseam, and glue all over down her leg... I think she's really nice and, I am sorry you didn't get a "super steal" on her price but, I think she looks nice... Sometimes a seller won't know if a tail is cut if it's a minor amount... :huh: It's one thing if it's bobbed but, not knowing it was originally 1" longer than that... I personally know I wouldn't bring it up with the seller... But I'm sorry you feel that way about getting your pony... :(
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

LadyBird

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 01:50:38 AM »
The problem was that all of my issues with the pony were not able to be seen in the photos. All of the glue was smeared under the mane, it went down to the knee area of the front left leg and then it continued halfway across the back. The tail is angled at the camera so you can't see the true length of it. It's for sure cut and its about an inch shorter than it should be.

I guess I was more upset that these things weren't said and after I got it and noticed the issues and went back to look at the pictures it seemed like the seller had been purposely hiding them. I was super upset about it last night which is why I seemed a little drama queen in this post but to be honest I feel I would have wanted to contact the seller about it regardless. I just didn't want to be paying full blown collector value on a pony that had some flaws.

Either way I contacted the seller and I did get a partial refund. I still think toppy is pretty and all but I just am super OCD about hair cuts. I'll probably replace her eventually but for now she looks purty next to her twin :)

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 03:27:18 AM »
I am of two minds.  On one hand it is a sellers responsibility to accurately describe flaws of the pony.  On the other hand, the pictures are very poor quality.  When you bid on a lot with poor pictures it's important to ask questions if you have any concerns or even ask if better pictures might be available.  It's very likely they didn't notice the tail trim.  It doesn't look that extreme and they probably missed it.  I doubt they were trying to mislead you there.  They figured tail length was evident in the pictures.

As to the glue, can I see some pictures?  As many other have said it is a pretty common issue with neck seams.  The glue running down the leg is the most concerning part. How much was this lot?

I'm not sure a partial refund was really deserved here.  I'm glad they were able to work with you and you are happy and all that.  If possible I'd like to see the damage to see how much that damage would have negative effected the price of the pony compared to what you paid.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 08:12:47 AM »
Yeah, I'm at least pretty sure her neck is factory as I have loads of G1s with messy glue and hair caught in the seam. One of my ponies has a whole plug of hair coming out of her neck.

I also never disclose the neck condition thing, but I guess that if she had a tail cut, it's great you got s partial :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal