collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Basic Fun SDCC Majesty  (Read 9790 times)

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Fun SDCC Majesty
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2019, 07:20:18 PM »

Both the US and Canada did have a MLP Fan Club. I have the fliers for the latter. I also know I've seen puzzles in French with Ma Petite Pouliche on the box, and that must be Canadian, since France used Mon Petit Poney. And you had a long and thriving mail order programme, which we also didn't have. The UK also didn't have the TV series air properly over here till 1995ish. We did have VHS releases but they were random eps out of order. So we had the comics instead. Also, backcard stories for ponies in North America are much more detailed than the US ones up until pretty late in the line - they only become actually longer in the UK release when they're basically copied from the US stories around 1989. So again we missed out on that. I don't think we had more stuff overall. Just different stuff, and the comic is a stand-out part of that because it went on as long as it did.

My point being every country had something, just not necessarily the same. Which means what was iconic in different places changed.

The fact Majesty was the cornerstone of the comic and story canon makes her iconic here. Nobody had to pick her as the cornerstone star, since way more ponies here got highlighted and detailed attention in comic stories. And yet out of all of those, Majesty did.

Basically the point I was making is that there's a difference between a popular sale item and an iconic one. The problem is that in the last few years all the Majesty stuff that's iconic from the UK has been absorbed into a "in G1, Majesty did this", as though it's a worldwide thing.

And it strikes me that if they did do research on a superficial level, they'd get that and think Majesty was iconic in all places, rather than getting the story right. While I totally want to share the stuff we had, I personally hate the appropriation of UK stuff like Majesty's antics, and also the TE origin story as a general "fact of G1".

I hope you are right by the way, and we will get a proper Majesty at some point that has a more global release. Or at least is easier to import. I can't afford a new DC repro nor can I store one, so it will be a difficult decision if that is how she comes out here - but I would rather see her and Lemon Drop sold as separate ponies, not with sets. I guess we'll see how it pans out.

I maintain that, if this is the only verson of Majesty we ever get, BF have let down their UK market spectacularly.

As much as I'd love a Dream Castle release I think making Majesty and Lemon Drop stand alone ponies would be best so we all have a better chance of getting them. Time will tell.

Oh yes, I forgot about the puzzles. I had 3 as a kid. I've been trying to remember what we had since I have most of my childhood toys, books, etc and don't seem to have anything for MLP but lots for other toy lines. I also don't know how well MLP aired because I don't remember seeing any of the episodes. I guess I should watch them and see if they ring any bells. And yes, we did have the mail order program but I don't think it was necessarily super accessible. I remember saving all my points but then things would be out of stock. I only ever managed to get Satin n Lace.

Anyway, I agree each country had different things, what I meant is we didn't have much for a story line to go with our ponies. Yes we had back cards but I don't remember ever reading one. Yes we had the movies and tv series but I certainly didn't get to see them all and many others didn't either. We had a different dynamic and I couldn't pin point one character that was put above the rest. So anyway, it's just different. A lot of what I see for things like Firefly being so famous is more to do with her connection to Rainbow Dash or her prominence in the US merch.  :shrug:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2019, 12:15:59 AM »
I think the comic is honestly just a different level of storyline, because it went on so long and included so many ponies, from 1985 right up to the seven character ponies of the MLP Tales series. It was an easy weekly/fortnightly way for kids to keep up with their favourite characters, and also provided material for story compilation books like the Big Book of Stories that I remember reading to death as a kid. In context the UK did this for a ton of series back then, too. And obviously MLP & Friends were comics here, not so much tv shows, so we had moondreamers, glo friends, potato head kids, etc in that format instead of it being a big thing on TV. We had the videos, like I said, but the comics seem to have been a big focus.

I think we missed out on a lot here - the early sets, the animation, the mail orders. But I'm glad we had the comics. I never played games based on the comic, but I did choose my favourites in sets based on their skills. Also, though, the comic often used the pony's own backcard to inspire their comic character, so it was like having backcards without having the ponies at times.

I think for all we didn't have, the UK probably did the best in constructing a continuous story canon, which is why I guess for me certain things are iconic.

Firefly had a presence in the comics here, although we never had the pony - all of those early ponies did even though they weren't ultimately sold here, which is why even now you see UK people looking for those sets. It doesn't really happen the other way around - with people looking for non-US sets because of childhood nostalgia - so I guess that demonstrates the presence of that 'canon' in people's memories...? I dunno.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2019, 12:25:22 AM »
Well I have less than zero chance of getting this pony, but if I ever did by some miracle get hold of her I would instantly give her some eyes. I can't manage eyeless ponies. Otherwise she looks ok.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2019, 05:35:11 AM »
She reminds me of Chinese pottery.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2019, 08:25:50 AM »
Is anyone gonna buy her for sure? I'd like to see some pics once she is out.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2019, 08:53:44 AM »
Well I have less than zero chance of getting this pony, but if I ever did by some miracle get hold of her I would instantly give her some eyes. I can't manage eyeless ponies. Otherwise she looks ok.
[/quote/]

Thats because she'll steal your eyes if you don't give her back hers.  :devious:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2019, 11:11:25 AM »
Is anyone gonna buy her for sure? I'd like to see some pics once she is out.

I would if I could, but with shipping and possible mark-ups, (*glares at eBay* ) I don't think I'll be able to afford it. :sad: I think she's super nifty!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2019, 02:03:54 PM »
I'm rather late to the party here, but gosh, I find this pony SO refreshing. It's a shame that she will have limited accessibility. As some one in the extreme minority who (cough) finds the re-releases of the G1 line quite tedious, I think this pony is just fab with the way they have shaken her up a little.

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2019, 02:13:52 AM »
I think she (er, for me Majesty was always a he...) looks super cool, I like the all-around symbol, and on the white background/body it does remind me of pottery as well. I don't mind the lack of eyes either, the only thing that is a little strange to me is the ribbon on her neck, which looks like she was a dog wearing a collar. For a neck accessory, I would have preferred something more elaborate - but I guess that'd be an easy change for whoever buys her and doesn't like this feature either.

I am not the type of collector who can enjoy these limited and thus very expensive ponies, but if she was more widely available I'd be interested in getting her. It'd be cool to make a custom who looks like this though  :rolleyes:

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2019, 02:37:33 AM »
I’m a fan of this! She reminds me of Breyer decorators and Delft pottery! So I love the concept, just wish they had executed it a liiittle bit better! Like why is her horn glittery? It doesn’t match the rest of the design.. and the neck ribbon just looks completely random. It’s like they panicked over the design being so minimalistic and just slapped things on. The lack of eyes are not really an issue for me, I regard her as more of an objet d’art than a pony.

I do think she would have appealed to wayy more collectors if they’d given her eyes, just the traditional tail ribbon and left off that random glitter.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:03:40 PM by little.fox »

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2019, 08:20:11 AM »
I need this in my life.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2019, 01:53:15 PM »
Seeing the in-hand pics on insta and ebay makes me want her more. I like how they styled the back of the packaging to look like a tower of the Dream Castle. ^.^ (But why is there blue sky and a field behind Majesty instead of the castle interior? Some magic mirror shenanigans going on there...)

Her current mark-up puts her out of my reach, but hopefully she'll come down a bit post-SDCC. She's definitely 20 dollars worth of pretty (IMO) but not $60-80. :P

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2019, 08:01:36 PM »
wouldn't it be great if she came with spike.

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2019, 06:52:56 PM »
wouldn't it be great if she came with spike.

With no eyes  :P
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Poster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Beeeee fliiiiies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2019, 09:40:53 PM »
Admittedly I was on the fence about her at first, but she's really grown on me! :lovey:

I'm a little concerned about the neck ribbon, though. Is there a chance it could stain her?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal