collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fanon or canon personality? Does it influence your purchases?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
This is for the ponies that were obviously shown in any of the television series (I know there are a ton of G1 and G3 pony toys that were sold that never actually made an appearance in the show so they don't count). Does the personality of a pony on one of the show have any influence as to whether you purchase it or not?

For example, I really like the new G4 Lyra that was just released, her colors are beautiful, I like her cutie mark, and of course, unicorns are always major brownie points for me. But the way her fanon character has been portrayed really annoys me, and the few times I've seen her in the show I can't stand the stupid way she sits. So it makes me not want to purchase her despite liking the actual toy. Is this ridiculous? The same can also be said for the new Trixie, I think the pony itself is gorgeous but I'm hesitant because I hate her show character.

So what do you do? Do you buy the pony anyway, maybe rename her and give her your own fan personality? Or do you find the stigma of her own canon personality (or even a strong fanon personality given to her by the community, as is the case with Lyra) too much and pass her up or a different pony?

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Fanon or canon personality? Does it influence your purchases?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 02:08:08 PM »
I don't like fanon, but it doesn't make any difference in my purchases except that I have to be more urgent of getting fan favorites because I'm worried they will sell out too fast before I can buy one.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
I am not a fan of fanon.

I just buy all the pony characters, regardless of how a character was portrayed on the show because they are all cute pony toys.

Originally the show did make me want to buy toys, but I found I liked every single pony even if they didn't make an appearance in the show.

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 02:09:09 PM »
It doesn't mean a thing to me, a pony's still a pony. I'm not crazy-in love with Big Mac like everyone else seems to be, but I'd buy his brushable in an instant if they made one, cause, hey, ponies.
I don't really dislike any ponies though, I dislike some F/F fanon relationship, but that hardly counts...and I want a Bon-bon for my Lyra. >.>
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »
Lyra doesn't look exactly like her show form with the "unicorn" eyes.  Trixie is a bit different-looking as well (no clothes for one thing).

I don't see why you should pass up a pony because you don't like the show version, if you like the toy pony herself. 

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
I've never watched any of the shows apart from the g1 movie however it makes no difference to me how a pony is portrayed in the show. A pony is a plastic toy who doesn't speak/isn't annoying so I don't care what they are like in a cartoon ;)

When I was a kid though I might have based my purchases on a ponys personality in a cartoon.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »
It does influence me sometimes, but not all the time.  I don't like Trixie's canon personality in the show (or the fanon attempts to make her seem "nice"--she's a bragging twit), but she is pretty so I still want her.  Well, and it's nice to have an antagonist for my ponies. ;)

Lyra's fanon actually made me want her more, I like most of her fanon very much.  However, even without the fanon I would've wanted her.  She was one of the ponies that caught my eye as far back as the pilot episode.  She is just super pretty.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »
I've never watched any of the shows apart from the g1 movie however it makes no difference to me how a pony is portrayed in the show. A pony is a plastic toy who doesn't speak/isn't annoying so I don't care what they are like in a cartoon ;)

^This for me...I collect toys first and foremost - I am not fussed at all about canon or fanon or any other -non! :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »
It depends, for me. For example my head-canon is that Rainbow Dash and Applejack and dating each other, because I think its a cute pairing. The brony obsession with Bubblecup (Ditzy Doo) has made me not want a thing to do with toys of her, even though I actually like her and absolutely love the one fanfic I read about her (which is now my head-canon for her). Though other things have also influenced my feelings about the Bubblecup toy (Hasbro's treatment of older fans mainly).

However I don't really collect G4 anymore due to the complete lack of quality control. I plan to buy the white FS Celestia (I'm pretty sure I saw that? If not talking will do I guess) because its actually a correct Celestia finally, and Zecora because I really like her character and the toy is pretty unique and different for the line. I mainly plan to collect the blind bags, and only the ones I really like. I want the more unique ones the most (the alicorns and males), but that's not influenced by character as much as it is finally getting some more difference in blind bags.

Offline Daiyuflower

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »
I think the way the character is portrayed only influences me one way--if I really like a character, I am likely to pick up the toy.  But even if I don't like the character, I will still pick up the toy if it's a pretty pony design :)

Rion

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:48:03 PM »
Well, I tend to get the characters that I like most first, but that doesn't stop me from getting all the others later down the road. I really don't let personalities of characters influence whether I buy them or not though- especially fanon related stuff. Most fanon is pretty stupid to me.

QueenGusty

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »
The character doesn't influence me at all. I have my own headcanons :P For example Gusty in the show was groucy but gusty in the G1 comics was very caring and looked after the baby ponies. My Gusty is the Queen of Dream Valley, married to her clone (Italian Gustavo) and regulary chucks pliers at ponies' heads (especially Gustavo but thats mostly because he had a baby with Mainsail-G3 Autumn Leaves). Majesty who was all wise and awesome in the G1 comics, in my herd is an evil insert word of choice who framed her sister (Gusty) for their mother's murder so she could steal her throne.

So nooope. My headcanon> fanon/canon :P

Carrie

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 02:51:57 PM »
It influences me a lot. I don't mind buying several versions of Rarity/Luna/Cadance because i like those characters on the show. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash on the other hand are characters i dislike. So i tend to avoid buying them.
I got to say i prefer ponies that don't have a show or fanon background.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »
My toy purchases are definitely more character-based. Ever since I was a child I've been more likely to want a toy of a character I knew from a cartoon or comic over something generic and unfamiliar, but once in a while it was nice to get a "toy-only" character and make up my own story/personality for it.

When I first saw the FiM toys (before the show came out) I thought they were pretty cute, but not something I would need to get. After having fallen in love with the characters on the show though, my feelings had changed considerably. :D

I think Skywishes is one of the prettiest G4s ever, when I got her with Riding Along Rainbow Dash I thought her colors were even more stunning in person, but I still just didn't feel like I needed her, so I sold her (I bought the pack for the turtle).

Lyra's fanon actually made me want her more, I like most of her fanon very much.  However, even without the fanon I would've wanted her.  She was one of the ponies that caught my eye as far back as the pilot episode.  She is just super pretty.
Agree! Lyra's fanon has made her very endearing, to the point that she is one of favorite FiM characters. And she IS very pretty to boot!

Offline Vampasaurus

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Champion of Kirkwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 03:24:54 PM »
I can't keep up with the fan names, fan personalities and all the rules the fandom seems to have now.  So I reject all the fanon for the most part and just come up with my own.

as for the actual canon  characters, I feel ya. I didn't like Trixie, but I love her toy. Still not entirely sure I should get it. I tell you what, buying ponies was a lot easier for me back when I collected G3s and didn't watch the show. Every single pony personality was completely up to be to decided! no pesky canon getting in the way.

http://vampasaurus.tumblr.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal