collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies left behind in charity shops  (Read 4724 times)

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
Re: Ponies left behind in charity shops
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 08:24:19 AM »
Not that I've found ponies lately, but I had to stop myself from picking up every G3 because I have bins that are overfilled! I don't pick up the McD ponies and for the most part I leave the fakies alone (though I have a weak spot for the G1 baby fakies).

G1s, I will usually pick up for sentimental reasons, unless they are so bad that i don't think anything could save them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MercuryStar

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Merow?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »
I have left behind ponies.   Mostly G3s, since I have so many already, including plenty of extras and bait.   I collect fakies, but I leave a lot behind now, unless they are Lanards or harder to find ones.   I don't see G2s much at all, and the only G4s I have were a few McD ponies that looked like a dog had chewed on them.   So they got left at Value Village.

As for G1s, I have left quite a few behind.   Years ago I had to leave G1s behind at Value Village and Salvation Army because my parents wouldn't let me get them (it was when I was still in school, and I was usually with them at the thrift shops)... I used to find them all the time then.   :(     
Later I left Pretty Beat behind, the only pony I ever found at the Pack Rat Mall, because the seller wanted somewhere around $20 or $30, and she was in restoration project/custom bait condition.   I don't even think I would pay that much for a loose mint one.   I believe I left a few G1s behind at a little Antique booth at the State Fair, though it is hard to remember for sure, since I did buy all the first year I found some (and got there first), and other years there were no ponies left by the time I arrived.

And more recently, a while after snagging a huge lot of ponies on Craigslist, I stumbled upon a bonanza at Value Village.   I took a bunch, but there were so many bags of ponies that the total VV price ran very close to $100, which I couldn't afford at that moment, so I had to leave a few bags behind.  I recall there was a nice looking Baby Apple Delight in one of the bags (one of the bags I did take home had another one of her in it, but she is pretty filthy, and has some tears around her ears), and a hornless, severely rubbed up, SS Ribbon.   Oddly enough, that Ribbon is the pony I regret not getting the most out of the lot I left behindl   

We kill the lights and put on a show/It's all a lie/But you'd never know
The star will shine/And then it will fall/And you will forget it all

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 08:52:38 AM »
One thrift store near me almost always has ponies, mostly G3s, McDonalds and fakies but I leave them behind.
I feel a little bad leaving them but I haven't been able to sell the few G1s I picked up a while back for even less than what I've bought them for so last time I saw a G1 I left it too. Of course if it were something I knew was rare or sought after or something I'd particularly like for my own collection (like the g3 Sparkleworks plush I once found and just couldn't let go) I'd get it but after getting those G1s that one time I determined that I only really want to collect G4 and while the other gen ponies I see in thrift stores are temping I would only be getting them for the sake of putting them back into the collecting community. So if I'm unable to sell them for what I paid it's kinda pointless to even pick them up. I leave them in the hopes that someone who will truly enjoy them will get them  :hope:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:56:46 AM by 3377345 »

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 09:14:25 AM »
I never leave G1's but if it's a G3 and I don't need her for a bait she stays behind for some little girl to love.  :)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 09:32:16 AM »
There was a big box of ponies at the flea market last time I went. Several G3s I didn't have and some G4s and McDonald's. I picked out about 10 ponies (including some McD) and the guy wanted $37 for them!! If I'm going to pay full price for ponies I'll buy them new in the store :P So I only got about 5 or 6 that I really wanted and paid $15.
My Wish List

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »
If they're cheap enough, I pick up all g3's and g1's that I find. If the g3 is in bad condition, I will just leave her, as I'm not an avid g3 collector. I don't think I could leave behind a g1, though, unless she was in just awful condition, or priced way too high.
:)

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 09:57:29 AM »
There was a time when I couldn't leave even the rattiest Peachy behind, but I actually very rarely buy duplicate ponies I see these days.  I HATE selling ponies, which is why I have boxes and boxes of duplicates (we're talking 2000-ish!) which I am only just now forcing myself to go through and photograph to sell.  It's not worth the heartache of buying more unwanted ponies to send off to an uncertain fate! :P

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »
One time I left behind a common G3 because Savers had put her in a bag along with a bunch of junk I don't collect. If she was loose and a buck or less I would have snagged her but I didn't want the extra $2 worth of junk.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 10:13:04 AM »
I did leave a few G1's behind and have regretted since...so for me NO G1 gets left behind...even if I have 4 of them already:P Any other generation I am ok...but I still feel bad...
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 10:32:52 AM »
I leave behind ponies in really bad condition, ones I already have, and fakies. For example, at the antique mall I shop at, there was a bag of 8 G1 ponies. However one was a secret surprise pony with tons of marker marks and she was missing her back, and there were also two of the same BBE with rusted eyes. I didn't get it because of those 3. The others were pretty bad too. I also don't have the power to restore ponies.

One time I left behind a common G3 because Savers had put her in a bag along with a bunch of junk I don't collect. If she was loose and a buck or less I would have snagged her but I didn't want the extra $2 worth of junk.

Whenever I see a pony in a Goodwill/Value Village that I don't have, I get it, even if there's tons of junk. I just have my mom bring them back and donate them again next time she goes to donate cloths.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:35:56 AM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 10:49:36 AM »
I used to rescue every single pony.
Then I only rescued G1s or G3s I liked/needed.
Last time I was at the thrift store, I left behind a baity G1 and a slew of G3s because I already have the G1 and multiples of the G3s.
I almost always leave behind McDonald's ponies.

Sometimes it depends on my mood, though.  :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way.  If the G1 is common then I typically leave it for someone else to brag about, or a child to get a toy they want.  If it's NOT common, then it's coming with me.  I also grab any G2s now.  G3's, well...  only if they are something I know was HTF - mostly I leave them.  And I always grab G4s because... well, I feel bad that they only got a few weeks of love from their previous owner. 

McD's, though... yeah I leave those, too.  Lots of people customize them or are collecting them now, so they can make someone else happy!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Saber-Toothed Crow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »
I used to save every pony that I found. Then I started leaving behind McDs ponies because I was stockpiling too many of them. G1s I'll always try and rescue, unless the price being asked for is too ridiculous (happily this has yet to happen to me). I've only ever found one g2, and I saved her as well. As for G3s, I still grab pretty much all the ones I see, since I use the doubles as custom bait. but now I'm starting to accumulate quite a pile of doubles, and I haven't customized in ages so I'm being a bit more selective of the double ponies I grab.

Thanks Jennifer2004 for my sig and Shaiyeh for my avi! ~formerly Crowpriest~

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »
If it is a g1, it comes home with me regardless of condition (unless it's really overpriced) because I assume that there's someone out there who will want him or her.  Same goes for g2s.  :)

I used to bring every g3 home as well, which would explain the 50 Pinkie Pie doubles I have.  :P. Now, I will leave a g3 behind if it is common or in bad shape or overpriced but otherwise I'll bring it home.

I've only found 3 g4s do far and they've all come (2 I didn't have and 1 is a double.). I don't buy theMcDonald's ponies.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline assassin_kitty

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »
I have only ever found 3 ponies in the charity shops round here, I swear there are pony hunting ninja's where i live!

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 11:50:55 AM »
I used to leave G1s behind but the last time I went out I didnt and my wallet cried. Anyhow I gonna make it in the habit to not leave them behind unless its a super sky high price. I almost never find any at a thrift store I go to. I also swear there are pony hunting ninjas there too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal