collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: DA's newbie pony questions update 6/29 few more pics added  (Read 2744 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
DA's newbie pony questions update 6/29 few more pics added
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:46:47 PM »
Hi!

Everyone knows I'm new of course, and I've made it known I'm working on cleaning/scrubbing up my old pony collection. I've been looking through the guides, looking up guides on google and asking lots of questions. I thought maybe I would pick questions I currently had and post them in this thread. I think it would be cool if I could recycle it and just edit/change the questions when I need to that way I have one thread with information.

Today's Newbie questions I have

1) What is the best way to remove a rust stain? My Peachy pony had a washer laying on her inside and it has a rust stain that is visible outside.
2)I removed two of my pony's tales that I plan to put back in.  They were rusted, and I needed to get them out and the washers. Problem is how do I remove the metal hair clamp that is dividing the tail without hurting myself?

I'll see if I have anymore, but that might be it for today.

6/18
3) This one is actually not related to the toys, but the videos. My little pony season one which episodes does it include? Does it include all the early movies like Katrina, Firefly and The End of Flutter Valley?   ;--; I noticed it's just really on Ebay and Amazon. I'm assuming it's not in regular production anymore then? What is the average price on it? Amazon has it listed for $100, and my eyes got huge.

I'll see if I have anymore, but that might be it for today.

6/20
4) I was looking through the sticky of magical pony cleaning,and I had a question. If it's there I'm sorry I missed it in the thread, but I just didn't see it.  I'm also searching the forums for it. Several of my old ponies have mold that I cleaned out on the inside. I saw in the threads it mentions boiling or bleaching ponies ect. Is there a set of directions for doing this? I don't want to overdo it or something. Also I noticed it said certain pony's hair did not stand up well to the process. Which particular ones? Also then how do you treat those ponies if you cannot boil them?

6/29

I bought Glow because she still have some very lovely pink hair. I'm not complaining about the seller or anything since she was a pony I was a little iffy on, but I bought her anyway. My thing is she has this one mark on her here.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A few new pictures added, but sadly apparently my good camera is broken. This is the best we can do. v.v

What is that? Is that mold? Does it look like some kinda marker? No clue. Sorry I tried to get the best pic I could, bu I'm using my phone and zooming made it blurry some.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:41:47 PM by madhatterda »
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Mismatch

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: DA's newbie pony questions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »
Hmm.  Usually I just use lots of soap and water on rust stains, but I've never been able to get them out.  These threads might help you though:

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,287264.0.html
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,289242.msg90813.html#msg90813

Apparently toothpaste, diluted bleach, oxyclean, and Rit Rust removal are some of the ones used.  I've never used RitRust-whatever, or Oxyclean, but with the latter, I've heard that you need to be really careful or else you can remove paint.  Just look up 'rust' on the search engine, and you'll get a lot of archived advice from more experienced members!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 04:48:10 AM »
The Helpful Cleaning Tutorials which are stickied at the top of the Corral are packed with links and information on how to clean up your ponies, you should manage to find information on just about everything there.

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,292336.0.html

In my experience the best way to remove rust stains is either toothpaste or bicarbonate - both of them work really well although sometimes you have to repeat the process several times.

Your best bet on removing the tail grip is pliers - you ll need to "break" the shape and then you should be able to slide the hair out. Be careful so you dont hurt yourself but its really the only way to go about it.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 06:45:46 AM »
If the clamp is not rusted, I leave it in place. I realize it's still possible it can rust, but that's what I do. But yes, as hathorcat said, use pliers if you want to get it off. I've used two pliers, one on each side of the clamp and just bent it open. I found it fairly easy to do. If you're worried about the hair not staying even, you can potentially put a rubber band or some kind of temporary tie around it while you remove the metal part.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: DA's newbie pony questions New: 6/18
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 12:03:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice ladies. I'll take a try at the tail and see what happens. Also, I totally missed some of those things in the thread the first time around cat. Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:06:01 PM by madhatterda »

Formerly Maddie

Offline Mismatch

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: DA's newbie pony questions update 6/18
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:35:12 PM »
Actually, you can watch most of the MLP videos on Youtube!  Much cheaper than Amazon, and I'm pretty sure they even have a lot of the commercials up!

Also, if you haven't seen this website yet, you need to :)  This website is like, the beginner's boot camp.  I've been reading it (okay, not religiously, but you get the idea) since I was eight and had to wait five minutes for our dial-up connection to load the images--
http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/ponies_list.html
This allows to conveniently see and ID all the ponies...
And this will tell you all you want to know about the series, so you can easily look up the titles in Youtube.  Happy pony-hunting!
http://www.kimsites.net/dreamvalley/media_menu.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 02:14:40 AM »
Do you mean the My Little Pony: The Complete First Season dvd? I believe it contains the first season as well as Rescue At Midnight Castle and Escape from Katrina. Although the latter 2 have many of their songs and some of the content cut out.

This is a good resource for the episodes...I am not sure if all the links work still or not but they probably do as the Wiki is kept really up to date.
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/G1_TV_and_Movies

$100 is far too high - you should be able to get it for the $30-35 mark - check ebay and you can also purchase it on sites like this http://www.play.com/DVD/Region_1/4-/2537239/708664746/My-Little-Pony-The-Complete-First-Season/ListingDetails.html?searchstring=My+Little+Pony%3a+The+Complete+First+Season+dvd&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search
Loa is my love god!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:06 AM »
Do you mean the My Little Pony: The Complete First Season dvd? I believe it contains the first season as well as Rescue At Midnight Castle and Escape from Katrina. Although the latter 2 have many of their songs and some of the content cut out.

This is a good resource for the episodes...I am not sure if all the links work still or not but they probably do as the Wiki is kept really up to date.
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/G1_TV_and_Movies

$100 is far too high - you should be able to get it for the $30-35 mark - check ebay and you can also purchase it on sites like this http://www.play.com/DVD/Region_1/4-/2537239/708664746/My-Little-Pony-The-Complete-First-Season/ListingDetails.html?searchstring=My+Little+Pony%3a+The+Complete+First+Season+dvd&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

I actually have all of the shows/episodes on a flash drive. I'm just one of those people that likes to have the actual dvds in hand. Course having the flash drive makes me picky about price anyway since I can just pull it out to watch them. Thanks for the link Kat...What is region one? I'm confused, will that work in my dvd player?

MisMatch: Funny because I was actually using her site to look up all of the episodes when I saved them to the flash. My only problem is actually seeing which ones are on the dvd. @_@

I have a new question I'm about to post that I'm sure you or Kat can answer. I think I actually pm'd you about it mis. :lol:

Formerly Maddie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: DA's newbie pony questions update 6/20
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »
Yes the link to play.com is for a region 1 DVD - so as long as you are in the US [*peeks at location...Arkansas*] which I see you are then it will work in your DVD player.

6/20
4) I was looking through the sticky of magical pony cleaning,and I had a question. If it's there I'm sorry I missed it in the thread, but I just didn't see it.  I'm also searching the forums for it. Several of my old ponies have mold that I cleaned out on the inside. I saw in the threads it mentions boiling or bleaching ponies ect. Is there a set of directions for doing this? I don't want to overdo it or something. Also I noticed it said certain pony's hair did not stand up well to the process. Which particular ones? Also then how do you treat those ponies if you cannot boil them?

You really should try to avoid boiling as much of a pony's hair as possible - but the pony hair in particular you may be thinking of is the neon yellow of ponies like Surprise; that yellow is certainly not colour fast and I have seen people have some unfortunately "yellowing" experiences when this ponies hair gets wet and starts to leak colour. A lot of collectors swear by boiling ponies and I dont think anyone has ever reported negative effects however, as there is nothing to "kill" on the pony I dont feel there is any advantage to boiling over a proper elbow grease scrub with very warm water. And the latter method ensures you are controlling and preventing any damage.

Personally I would advise you to be really careful when it comes to bleaching - it can damage symbols and eyes and hair colour and blush - I find that you dont need super abrasive chemicals for ponies - boiling water, toothpaste, bicarbonate, acetone [small amounts], magic erasers and the magic that is sun fading tend to cover most of the stain. Dont soak in bleach unless you want a super clean, no symbol pony!
Loa is my love god!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: DA's newbie pony questions update 6/29 help >3<
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
Eeep new questions

Formerly Maddie

rainbowstars

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 10:11:25 AM »
OK, here I go...

I don't know about removing rust stains on bodies very well, I have one that has one near her glitter symbol and I don't want to mess with it.  I always try acetone on major stains tho.  I know some people think this is bad, but lots of people do it too. 

Some people think it's a major sin to remove the clamp thingy.  I use pliers also.  One time I took a knife to it and was sticking it in the crack trying to wiggle it open a bit, and I totally gouged myself and bled like a stuck pig. 

I don't boil or bleach my ponies, except one time, I poured some bleach water inside of the pony, carefully because her feet were so yucky inside.  Oxyclean and very hot water work wonders, along with a tooth brush.  I DO believe in flat ironing badly frizzed/dry hair, or boiling the hair.  I think for ones with pink hair tho, you have to worry about fading, but I'd rather have fading than super frizz. 

I think that looks like mold, can you take her head off? 

Yes, season one MLP has all those that you mentioned:)  I prefer to watch my movies on my TV and not on youtube, so I think there is a definite advantage to buying the set, IMO. 

I think that covers all of your questions, if not, you know where to find me :lol:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »
6/29
I bought Glow because she still have some very lovely pink hair. I'm not complaining about the seller or anything since she was a pony I was a little iffy on, but I bought her anyway. My thing is she has this one mark on her here.

I really cant make it out well enough in the picture unfortunately...before panicking about it being cancer or mould...try simply cleaning it away with acetone and a good scrub...you may need to pull her head a little back from the neck seam to get in there. From the picture it could be anything from cancer marks to residual and discoloured glue to simple dirt.
Loa is my love god!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »
6/29

I really cant make it out well enough in the picture unfortunately...before panicking about it being cancer or mould...try simply cleaning it away with acetone and a good scrub...you may need to pull her head a little back from the neck seam to get in there. From the picture it could be anything from cancer marks to residual and discoloured glue to simple dirt.
I don't have anything acetone related in the house, but I did scrub her with a magic eraser before posting and it refused to let up. I haven't had one resist the magic eraser before, so I thought I would ask. I'll see if I can get a better picture of it with my camera. I'm going to try a head popping off adventure later. Our hot water heater is being fixed today, so I cannot really get the head off just yet.  >_<

Formerly Maddie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 04:30:06 PM »
6/29

I don't have anything acetone related in the house, but I did scrub her with a magic eraser before posting and it refused to let up. I haven't had one resist the magic eraser before, so I thought I would ask. I'll see if I can get a better picture of it with my camera. I'm going to try a head popping off adventure later. Our hot water heater is being fixed today, so I cannot really get the head off just yet.  >_<

Acetone will occasionally manage to shift things magic eraser cant and vice versa...but if a magic eraser hasnt moved it a good scrub probably wont have much more luck either. I would "guess" as without a better pic its a little tough...that it is cancer then. It may or may not spread within the pony depends on the speed of break down in the plastic...she looks pretty amazing anyway and her hair will fall to cover the mark for display purposes. Or if you want it moved you ll have to sunfade - just be careful with this girls hair and eyes of course so make sure you cover everything bar the mark and perhaps you ll be able to reduce the brown-ness!
Loa is my love god!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 05:41:12 PM »

Acetone will occasionally manage to shift things magic eraser cant and vice versa...but if a magic eraser hasnt moved it a good scrub probably wont have much more luck either. I would "guess" as without a better pic its a little tough...that it is cancer then. It may or may not spread within the pony depends on the speed of break down in the plastic...she looks pretty amazing anyway and her hair will fall to cover the mark for display purposes. Or if you want it moved you ll have to sunfade - just be careful with this girls hair and eyes of course so make sure you cover everything bar the mark and perhaps you ll be able to reduce the brown-ness!

I tried to put up better pictures, but my camera is broken...EVERYTHING I TOUCH DIES!  Anyway these are a tad bit better, but not a lot. :/ I will try getting her head off and looking inside. I know though. I think she is so lovely, poor girl wish she didn't have that spot. Thanks Cat I will see what happens. I have a pony I'm test fading first since she's my first try. Will the fading hurt her wings any? Should I cover those?

Formerly Maddie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal