collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Being a Living Donor  (Read 607 times)

Offline Yuitsu

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
Being a Living Donor
« on: June 18, 2012, 06:03:03 AM »
A few of you might have seen me mention this in a couple of places, but I thought I'd go into more depth, and (if the mods would like to sticky me), share the progress/process.

My aunt's kidney function has dropped 5% in 4 months - potentially because she was tested while in the full hold of bronchitis but the team of doctors she's been seeing have told her that she needs a transplant. If she can find a living donor, the transplant can go ahead as soon as all tests are cleared (6 months). The kidney transplant waiting list is currently 2 and a half years, which would mean her going on dialysis.

At the moment there are 5 people who have volunteered - me, my Dad, my uncle (her brothers), her husband and her friend (less likely to be a match.) I said back in March when they first told her she may need a transplant she could have one of mine - I'm highly unlikely to have any children and I don't drink or smoke regularly. That and my fathers side of the family is very very small.

First step is blood matching as not all blood types are compatible. Then there are 6 months worth of tests - x-rays, renal angiography, ECGs, counselling, all sorts of things. You could potentially fail at any stage of the tests. If you are eligible to donate, it's then 4-10 days in hospital, 6-12 weeks off work and potentially a year to recover.

It's not even something I needed to think about. My aunt changed my nappies, calmed me down after nightmares and now I'm an adult has helped me actually get the help I need to deal with the past.

I'm waiting on a phonecall from my doctor so I can discuss it, find out my blood group and get a head start on anything in my power to change - like cholesterol and weight. I'm currently about 280lbs, and ideally need to be 210.

19th June - now have a wellperson fasting blood test at my doctors, to check on my sugar, cholesterol, kidneys, liver, all that sort of thing that I'm probably well overdue on anyway.
Now have the phone number for the hospital and the lady I need to speak to. Apparently, they will focus on my dad, uncle and aunt's husband although to my mind, with any one of us potentially being able to fail maybe months down the line having more potentials is a better idea than fewer.  I'm considering the idea of being a living donor to someone other than my aunt, if I'm not compatible with her. I've read a story about a little boy who needs a transplant and only has a 3% chance of finding a match.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:33:03 AM by Yuitsu »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Being a Living Donor
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 06:10:23 AM »
Oh wow, what a fantastic thing for you to offer! It sounds scary, but I understand why you'd want to do it and you've my greatest respect! I hope it all turns out for the best for your aunt :)
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 07:50:33 AM »
OMG that's the most generous thing you could do for someone! You're really brave too, that's a huge life-changing sacrifice :hug: All the best for you both :hug:

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Yuitsu

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »
It's odd, I don't see it as brave or huge or anything, despite the fact it's a major operation depriving me of a body part!

Doctor phonecall resulted in a fasting blood test booked for the end of next week. Going to look at the local swimming pools, as I like swimming and assorted things like that. My aunts expressed interest in getting into better shape anyway (she's quit smoking).

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »
Best of luck to you, your aunt, & the rest of your family! :hug: My coworker (and friend, of course) has had multiple kidney transplants due to a health condition he was born with. His most recent transplant came from his wife. Both are currently living healthy & happy lives.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »
That's wonderful! It's very noble of you. I understand how it doesn't feel brave. Sometimes there are just things you know you have to do and there really isn't an option. This sounds like one of those things. That doesn't make it less important though.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:16:19 AM »
You're doing a fabulous thing.  If anyone in my family, be it my blood family or my encountered family, needed a kidney, it wouldn't be a question to offer one of mine, but unfortunately I have damaged kidneys so I wouldn't be a desireable candidate.  I just hope I have someone like you around if that ends up being me.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal