collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice on buying Makeup (a Gift for my Sister)  (Read 671 times)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
Advice on buying Makeup (a Gift for my Sister)
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:21:40 PM »
I overheard that my sister got a raise at work, and I wanted to surprise her tomorrow with a gift from Sephora. She likes their makeup, and I also get a discount there (the company I work for is owned by a big industrial conglomerate and we get discounts at various places). I also want to do something nice for her before I move out in two weeks.

There's only one problem- I know absolutely nothing about makeup.  I think I do pretty well in buying gifts for women, but I'm clueless when it comes to this.

Besides the ladies at the store, I don't really know anyone who would be able to help me, unless my sister's friend who lives with us can tell me, but that all depends on if she is up when I leave for work (and I needed to go to bed about... 20 minutes ago.)

I figured this would be a good place to ask since there are so many women here, and some of you might be able to help me out.

I have a Plan B, though. If I can't find a makeup that I think she'll like, I'll just buy her something cute like a plushie.  That's way more up my alley.

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Advice on buying Makeup (a Gift for my Sister)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:29:16 PM »
Hmmm....make up can be tough to buy even for yourself!! But as long as you know what she likes you can buy things that are pretty much color neutral. Like mascara.....blush.....different eye shadows.....and eye liner. I would probably steer clear of foundations and powders unless you know what her exact color is. Lipstick would be a good choice as well.

You could always go for a cute plushie and an eye shadow pack or something??

MagicStar

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:30:48 PM »
Why not go for a gift card and a plushie? (:

shintoji

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 09:32:03 PM »
i'd suggest thinking about what she wears! if she wears eyeshadow a lot, get her some in her favorite color(s), if she wears lipstick a lot, get some of that in colors youd think she'd like, ect, ect.
if all else fails, i'd say go for eyeliner, mascara and probably some nail polish if she wears that. good luck!

Offline melon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
Why not go for a gift card and a plushie? (:

I think a gift card is a great idea for the makeup items but does your discount still apply?

Offline Prideth

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Rainbow Sparkle Pony Power!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 07:31:55 AM »
Oh, me me!!  I want to jump up and down, I love Sephora and I could talk for hours about makeup!

I'm a member of r/makeup addiction, it's kind of like a forum for makeup addicts, and Sephora products are discussed at length.  Here is a link:  http://www.reddit.com/r/makeupaddiction  On the right side of the page, there is a link for "What to buy at Sephora".  I'd say all of those recommendations are GREAT!

My personal recommendations for "safe" bets (things that work great for everyone and all skin tones) would be:
- Naked 3 eyeshadow Pallete (Urban Decay)
- "They're Real" mascara by Benefit (black)
- Hourglass ambient Lighting blush (I looove Dim Infusion - I have fair skin tone)
- GlamGlow super mud (epic!)
- Stila stay all day liquid eyeliner in black (the best eyeliner EVER)
- Buxom lip glosses.  Holy moly they feel amazing and they look great!
- the Beauty Blender sponge (nice if she uses a liquid concealer)

I hope that helps, I'd say all of those are really good bets if you're unsure on color/brand.  They're the best!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wishlist    Trade  Prideth Reference Sheet

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 10:35:31 AM »
Id make sure she actually wears makeup first--and note what she does and doesn't wear. Next, note where she works..if its something reserved don't go off the deep end with colours.

Seriouslly--my sister and I are night and day.  I rarely wear makeup.  Ill wear nail polish from time to time, maybe a bit of lip gloss and RARELY some eyeshadow. Give me mascara or an eye pencil and ill look at you like you have 3 heads.  My sister would live in saphora if she could and gets excited if I have to go somewhere special because then she gets to play 'makeup dressup'.

Now, shove me into Bath and body works?  Im not coming out! I live in the body mists and aloe gels^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 12:26:35 PM »
What a nice thought! I'd second the Urban Decay naked eyeshadow pallet, if you can swing it - it really seems like it has good shades for everyone.
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »
Lipgloss is always good?

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »
What a nice thought! I'd second the Urban Decay naked eyeshadow pallet, if you can swing it - it really seems like it has good shades for everyone.

Urban Decay rung a bell for me, I remember her getting some of that for her birthday last year. I didn't get that naked one, but I got a different eyeshadow pallet for her that I think she might like. I just hope she doesn't have one like it already.

Thanks for the advice. Also, HOLY CRAP HOW IS MAKEUP SO EXPENSIVE?

Offline Tigerlilyx

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • ♫ Portugal - Walk The Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 09:17:11 PM »
I suggest getting a beauty kit/set that has all the basic makeup essentials (eyeliner, eyeshadow.. etc). Benefit Cosmetics have some of those sets and they come in cute pretty packaging  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal