collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Arena Interview - Gator!  (Read 229 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Arena Interview - Gator!
« on: February 21, 2023, 06:29:13 AM »
This week (is a little late) I interviewed talented and long time Arena member Gator! Thanks so much!

Personal Interview-

Where did you get your user name?
I had created my own Big Brother pegasus named Gator, who had two alligators for his symbol (sort of like Happy Tails pony style).  When I found the arena, I picked him as my name and persona.

How old are you?

Do you go to school or work?
Work.  Licensed veterinary technician.

What are your hobbies?
Reading, writing, and drawing.  Toy collecting.

Do you have any pets?
I currently have four cats.  Cena, named after wrestler John Cena.  Austin, named after wrestler stone cold Steve Austin.  My Austin has one blue eye, so that is his stone cold blue eye  :lol:.  I picked wrestler names because as kittens they loved to wrestle!  Carter, named after Sheriff Carter from the hit television series "Eureka".  And finally Sassy.
 I didn't name her, the neighbor's daughter did.  My dog and chickens have passed away recently in the last year or so  :cry:

What do you like/dislike about yourself?
I like that I'm creative and a hard worker.  I dislike my appearance and my anxiety.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I would love to go to New Zealand or Australia.  I passed up an opportunity to be an exchange student in high school to Australia and I still regret it.

Do you collect anything other than ponies?
Transformers, Disney animation related items (art books, VHS/DVDs, Disney diecast Cars collection), some pokemon, 80's toys from my childhood.  I used to collect Breyers as a kid.  I still have my collection but have not added to it in a long while.

Ponies-

How long have you been collecting ponies?
I started collecting about 1995 when I was in college.  I had ponies in the 80's as a kid.  But they were not toys for boys, and I was forced to get rid of them.  My dad even burned Applejack in a burning pit we had.

Why did you start collecting ponies?
In 1995, on my way home from college for a weekend, I stopped at a flea/antique store.  I found a baby Yo-yo newborn.  The memories of my childhood ponies, the tv series, the Rescue at Midnight Castle, all came flooding back.  Soon I was scouring flea markets, Goodwill, and thrift stores for ponies.  Then I stumbled upon ebay!  Uh-oh!!!

Who is your favorite pony and why?
Paradise.  I had her as a kid and she was one of my favorites then.  Her colors really appeal to me, the red and the green.

Who is your least favorite pony and why?
Not a specific pony, but I would say the SHS ponies.  I don't collect them.  I just feel like with their super long legs they don't fit in with other pony groups.

Who is your favorite pony from another country?
Brazilian Heart Throb!  I found her sometime between 1995-1998 at a thrift store in Georgia, here in the USA.  For years I didn't know what she was.  I thought she was a fakie until I discovered the online pony community.  So now for years I've wondered how she journeyed to the US herself and ended up in that thrift store.  Did she journey with her little girl across countries and continents, and then like Jessie on Toy Story get left behind? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Who is your favorite fakie?
No fakies for me.

Who was your first pony?
My first pony as a child was rainbow Windy.

What pony did you get recently?
I just got Vanilla Treat, the cookery pony, as well as some amazing HQG1C ponies! :biggrin:

What is your favorite generation?
G1

What is your favorite part about collecting?
Imagining a magical world full of colorful and amazing creatures.  I think that's why I'm drawn to animation and fantasy, and why I collect.  You want to visit those worlds.  I want to go to Dream Valley.  I want to go to the Forest of Feelings or Care-a-lot.  I want to escape.
I think of Dream Valley and colorful horses/ponies when I hear "A Million Dreams"
"I close my eyes and I can see
A world that's waiting up for me
That I call my own
Through the dark, through the door
Through where no one's been before
But it feels like home.
Cause every night, I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see"

All the colors!  All the magic! :P

How big is your collection?
 A lot.  Not counting SHS, Precious Pocket, adult Ballerinas and a few others I don't actively collect, I have almost all the US ponies I want.  The ones I need are, of course, the harder to find expensive ponies I may never have.

What do your friends and family think about your collection?
Because I'm a guy not very many know about it.  I've kept my collection hidden in boxes for twenty years, and I have only started to pull them out and display them the last four years or so.

Do you still play with your ponies?
Not really play.  I like to move them around and rearrange them, etc.

What rare or popular pony makes you ask why!?
Rapunzel.  She doesn't appeal to me.  Sweet Scoops is pretty.  I would like her one day.

If you had to have a pony symbol tattooed on your butt, which would you pick and why?
I'm not a tattoo person, so hard to say.  If I had to, um, Starshine or Sunbeam's sun?  Simple and wouldn't have to mean anything?

If you could have any pony remade in a different generation, who would you choose and why?
Paradise.  Wouldn't she look cute as a G3 or G4?

What has been the worst part about collecting?
The money!  It's getting too expensive!  As a struggling college student, I had no money.  Now as an adult, those ponies from 20 years ago are skyrocketing in price!   :shocked:  Wish I could have or would have bought more back then.

What is your ultimate collecting goal?
Just to finish the ponies I want.  Like I said above, I skip a few sets, and I'm not into a ton of variants though I have a few.

What is your biggest collecting accomplishment?
Mommy and Baby mail order.

What is your biggest collecting regret?
Not sure a biggest one.  Many times I just wish I had bit the bullet and bid higher on some auctions! :biggrin:

Who is your grail pony and why?
Sweet Scoops.  She's very pretty and IMO just have to have!
Do you have it?
No :(

Do you prefer loose or MIP ponies?
I like both.  I have several MIB/MOC ponies, but then I do like to have a loose one to hold.

Quick! Close your eyes and grab a pony! Who did you get?
Baby Shaggy.  I have a box at hand of newborns I'm trying to re-home.

Are you a customizer?
I have used HQG1C blanks to do a few, and I only just recently used a Baby Moondancer to customize.  She was pretty rough, so I think she likes being reborn into something beautiful again.  It was a hard decision to use her though.

Would you ever be?
yes

What do you think of custom ponies?
I like them, though I prefer simple, G1 inspired ponies and themes.

What are acceptable and unacceptable pony flaws, in your opinion?
I don't like hair cuts or badly damaged eyes/symbols.

Would you rather have a bait pony or a fakie?
Bait

Do you watch pony shows/movies?
Yes

Which ones?
I love to watch the old G1 stuff.  I did watch some of the G4 series, but not all.  Like I hated G3 Pinkie Pie, but loved G4 Pinkie in the series.

Do you read pony comics?
no

What is the worst thing you've ever done to a pony?
I have used two Basic Fun Starshines as wing donors for my customs :shocked:

Fill in the blank!

"I wish Hasbro would make more G1 inspired ponies of course!"

"When I was new to ponies I didn't know Perfume Puff's hair was supposed to look like that! I thought some kid really messed up Dainty's hair!  I cut it off!" :blink:

"I think the most underappreciated pony is Tootsie because I like her colors."

"I think more ponies should have so soft fuzz!"

"I don't like Precious Pockets because how do you live with that stuff hanging off your butt?"

"I love ponies because they make me happy and make me smile."
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Arena Interview - Gator!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 07:12:34 AM »
Passes a :hug: to Gator.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 07:37:25 AM »
:hug: from me too

I love that your cats are named after wrestlers :lol:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 09:15:26 AM »
Great interview :)

I always want to send along a :hug: whenever I read about what happened to your childhood collection. :( Glad you were able to start collecting again!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 09:33:05 AM »
Great interview!  I've never heard the Million Dreams poem before. It's beautiful.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 06:51:08 PM »
A wonderful and interesting interview! Nice to get to know more about you Gator!  :)  I also really like the names of your cats.

It was sad to read that you weren't allowed to play with ponies as a child. :cry: Fortunately, now as adults we get to collect ponies galore and no one can stop us from doing it!  :hope: :hug:
:zzz:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 06:32:56 AM »
thanks for letting us learn about you more :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 12:23:54 PM »
These interviews are all so fun!  It's great to get to know people better!

And now I feel the need to go watch The Greatest Showman so I can hear that song!  :P

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 12:48:10 PM »
Big fat  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to you!!! No way should your dad have sacrificed Applejack that way!!! I love how Ponies bridge the gender gap!!! I read of boys in the UK collecting too!!!

Also with you on the Tootsie love!!! She & her set have a special place in UK Pony lore
Bonus Tootsie love pic
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 01:36:28 PM »
So many hugs, parents can make things traumatic that never should've been... 
It's too bad that it has taken 30 years for ponies to be more openly acceptable for all genders.
Yes to more fuzzy ponies. So softs never get enough love.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2023, 05:35:22 PM »
Another person with Windy as a first *nods approvingly*

I echo what the others said, too, about not being allowed to collect because you were a boy. I remember playing ponies with a male friend at primary school. He was fine so long as he got to be the zombie overlord. People just need more imagination. I'm glad you got to rebuild your collection as an adult :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 12:37:06 AM »
My prejudices came to shame, I thought you were a female. It's awful what happened to your childhood ponies because of your gender :(. My nephew turns three this summer and I have a Basic Fun Bowtie saved for him that I bought when she came out. He's all into motor vehicles right now but I hope he'll like her anyway.

Great interview otherwise, I loved that poem, never heard of it before.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2023, 09:02:10 AM »
I love these interviews! I enjoy getting to know everyone better. Just a suggestion...it would be really cool if there was a separate section for the interviews, so we could find them easily if we want to go back and read them all!

Nice to get to know you, Gator! I am so very sorry that you were belittled for liking ponies as a kid. :hug: I see a lot of male pony collectors, and toy collectors in general, on Instagram. I'm happy it is becoming more acceptable. As a female collector about your age, I still feel a bit of stigma as a toy collector and while some family and friends know I collect them, I think they'd be alienated by the *extent* of my collections if they saw them.

I knew a lot of boys in the 80's that had Care Bears. But other than that, I do remember it being a time when boys would definitely be bullied for liking anything 'pink' or girly in grade school back then. I don't know if things have gotten better for kids today...my son really loved ponies for a while and has probably 15 or 20 MLPs, both vintage G1s and Basic Fun ones. He is 7. He's moved onto other things, but not because they are traditionally 'girl' toys. He will see me looking at pony stuff online and still be interested and ask me about them. No one at his school has bullied him about his interests, but he also goes to a small Catholic school and the kids are probably a lot gentler and kinder than a large city school, so I don't know for sure.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal