collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wind Whistler Clean-up: Is Scotch-Bright as good as Mr. Clean  (Read 542 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
I got my NSS Wind Whistler home from the MLP Fair and she has some marks on her.  The biggest almost look like a scuff mark being darker blue and having parallel lines in it and being a tiny yellow patch.  I'm also afraid she might have pin-dot mold on her cheek as she has batch of tiny brown dots.  Other than that she's in great condition.  Her plastic is still soft, her hair is still pink, what I listed above is the extent of her imperfections.

Anyway, I tried to use a Scotch-Brite Easy Eraser pad to clean her but it didn't do much to the mark on her shoulder.  Are Scotch-Brite Easy Eraser pads as good as Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads at cleaning ponies?  If they are, then what is the mark and what are good ways to get rid of it.  I know sun-fading Wind Whistler is a hazardous process.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Ianthe99

Re: Wind Whistler Clean-up: Is Scotch-Bright as good as Mr. Clean
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:02:26 PM »
I would think the two eraser type things would be the same. I usually use an off brand one and it works fine.

I would bet you would have to sunfade her to get the blue mark off.. although, you could try acetone as long as the mark isn't near any other paint.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »
Thanks.  The eraser cleaned Fizzy up nicely.

Would you suggest cleaning wipes with hydrogen peroxide? I have them but I don't know if the hydrogen peroxide would be too concentrated and damage her.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »
I think it sounds like sunfading is the best bet to be honest. Wind Whistler is not a pony who has a problem with this in her body but you will of course need to cover all paint as well as protect that hair as much as possible. When sun fading  a pony with pink hair make sure you wrap over on to the plastic as well - just to ensure no light can sneak in around the edges to fade that hair.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 04:20:04 PM »
Scrubbing seems to be slowly taking care of the dark marks.  I'll just have to keep at it.  I'm a little worried about the yellow mark.  I might get some some acetone.  It's on her shoulder, so it's nowhere near her paint.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:31:24 AM »
Let us know how you get on :) You could certainly try sun fading with the yellow mark as well.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 02:04:01 AM »
The problem is my house really isn't built for sunfading.  We only have three windows that face south and we have some huge catalpa trees shading them during the summer.  Sunfading might have to wait for the winter when the leaves are off the trees.

And do I have to worry about fluorescent lights with Wind Whistler and her hair?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »
No you don't have to worry about fluorescent lights. However, you should remember that UV light gets everywhere and in to every nook & cranny; and its the UV which actually fades the hair. So you need to keep her as far away from natural light as possible at all times but be aware unless she is in a dark cupboard at all times she will fade a little over the years [speed of fade subject to UV exposure intensity and length of course].

That being said as mentioned the key is UV - so as long as you are getting some kind of sunlight, even if its weak, it will have some kind of UV content and it will work to fade. Its just that it will take much longer. Sometimes if you are fading a pony which has hair with fading issues or if you havent faded before its good to start with a weaker sunlight, means you can keep a better track on the pony :)
Loa is my love god!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 03:12:24 PM »
My room faces north, so there's very little sunlight that ever gets into my room.  Hopefully her hair will stay pink as long as it possibly can.

I got some nail polish remover.  If that doesn't work, WW will be taking up residence in a south facing window this winter with her hair protected.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 04:38:36 PM »
Good luck! I hope the acetone works or if not I hope the sunfading is successful.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 05:01:13 PM »
The first acetone treatment didn't seem to do anything but I was just rubbing it in with a tissue.  What are good scrubbers for ponies?

I'm more worried that these things might be progressive.  If they stay small, I'll be fine with them.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 02:02:57 AM »
If its a stain from something then its not going to spread and if it is a stain like this then it should be removed by a sun fade.

Its only if the issue is a breakdown in the plastic itself that you need to worry and that it can become a problem in regards spreading. But from  your description it sounds more like something on the plastic than in the plastic. Do you perhaps have a picture?

Also if the acetone did not work using a tissue it probably will not work with anything else. You dont really want to scrub the plastic with it. I use a q-tip when applying acetone it makes for a more specific point to cover the mark.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 03:35:54 AM »
Unfortunately the only camera I have is the one on my phone which isn't really good for taking pictures for detail.

The mark looks like a scuff being blue/grayish in color and having parallel lines in it.  There there's a dot that's 1/16" in diameter in it that's yellowed.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 06:01:04 AM »
I would give it a go as sun fading...as that doesnt sound like anything which is caused by plastic break down I can think of more a combination of stains and marks.
Loa is my love god!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal