collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rather than a reboot, what if we got a redo?  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Rather than a reboot, what if we got a redo?
« on: November 05, 2020, 09:13:31 PM »
I’ve been wondering, rather than g5 being a reboot of the franchise, what if we got a past generation retelling, or redo? Ideally, I would love to see this for g2, which seems fittingly comparable to the ginger-haired stepchild that Hasbro keeps chained in the basement....but given Hasbro’s g1 passion for g1- as we have seen all throughout g4, it is more likely that we would get a g1 redo. What new content or merch do you think we would see that was never done in the of g1? More villains? More fleshed out backstories? Could the past gen redo do something for the newer generation than the of gens couldn’t have the opportunity to do?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 06:28:29 PM by Loa »
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Rather than a reboot, what if we got a redo?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 06:22:24 AM »
I'd rather have a reboot. Leave the old stuff alone. I'm sick of the constant reboot parade -_-
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 08:06:10 AM »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

new original designs thank you please
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 11:07:24 AM »
I will hate Hasbro's mlp team more then ever before.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 11:22:44 AM »
I'd prefer newer generations. As unpopular as late G4 and G4.5 are, they're definitely products of the toy climate of the time, just like all the previous generations. My understanding is that reboots are meant to cash in on nostalgia...but kids aren't nostalgic for the old series.
I don't mind hints to old generations, and even a collector's set where older generations are remade into new ponies is fine once in a while, but it would be nice to see something completely unique and new.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline dragglereeka

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 11:37:08 AM »
I would love them to work with previous gen's designs and concepts as inspiration. If they are making a new gen, I do hope they look at our art, our fanfiction, our OC's too -because there are so many crazy creative people in this community that have transformed MLP so much.
So my idea of a "perfect gen" would be:

The fantasy storytelling and pony size of G1
The whimsical design and playsets of G2
The variety of colours and textures as G3
The character development of G4

The unique and meaningful designs of the fans
The inclusive and celebratory nature of the fans

Hope my thoughts make sense  :P

*Thankyou to Strawberry Swirl for my avatar*

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 12:23:32 PM »
I personally want them to leave G1 alone. Basic Fun have done a good job playing it safe with rebooting existing toys more or less as they are. What Hasbro have done with G1 recently wouldn't fill me with confidence. Retro Twilight is not really G1ish to me. Calling the Collector Ponies the original M6 bothers me since that's not true. So I don't want them to meddle with my childhood. I'd like them to leave G1 alone, even if it means we never get anything new for G1. The thing is G1 ended more than 20 years ago. We're used to that and probably, we're over it. Having seen how much they mangled Jem for the movie, there's just no need to rehash an old gen in a different market.

I wouldn't see a need to redo G2 either, because that would probably lead to "should they look different?". The shape of the ponies was one reason they were rejected. And they were only rejected in North America. The European market was strong for a long time, especially on the continent. We don't need them rebooted. We didn't reject them :) I feel like the US etc can regret that choice, but it's still not a reason to mess with G2.

G3 has already been mangled a little bit at the edges with names, appearances etc into G4. Not excessively, but there's more of an overlap there than with any other generation. I like the bits of G3 that are still strongly G3 though. I would hope it is big and substantial enough to stay where it is.

Redoing an old generation is a sign that you have no inspiration for a new one. (By you I mean the creators, not the OP XD). So it's a sign of giving up on originality. G4 was not to everyone's taste but it was - at least to a degree to begin with - original. And now it is ending/over, it's time for new. The characters are stale (I personally don't think there's much character development in G4, but that's subjective. They seem pretty rooted in the same character tropes to me, and I think that's also a sign of lost originality. They're cliches and it would be nice to break that mould and remove the cliche).

Reboot is better than redo, but I prefer simply "new."

In short, I don't want a G1 redo BECAUSE I love G1. I've never wanted G1 to be rebooted or redone. That was my childhood. It was then. This is now. Let the kids of now dictate what G5 should be (even if for us it seems ridiculous). We can still complain about it if we don't like it, but it's still not about us, it's about those kids.

On another note, I think people underestimate the character design and development G1 had, across multiple canons. Let's not forget how many details G4 harvested from G1 to make FIM work.

Plus, I get irked when people act like G1 had no canon at all. It had multiple ones, they were just optional because kids could ignore them if they wanted, the ponies were not tied to the show like G4. And the comic goes a lot further than the cartoons do because it ran for longer, including character development for a large proportion of the G1 line (more than the G1 cartoons). I realise not everyone has read the G1 comics, but let's not forget that they exist.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 12:29:00 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 04:32:37 PM »
pony size of G1

Those already exist. The Fashion Style size ponies are pretty much G1 size.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 05:43:52 PM »
I don't even know what they would do with a G1 reboot?  Remaking the exact same toys wouldn't bother me.  But I don't consider the G1 inspired Hasbro toys to be G1.  They just don't have the same feel.  I wouldn't even make the connection if they didn't have it written on the box.  I'd basically consider it Gen 5.  :P
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 05:47:07 PM »
I don't even know what they would do with a G1 reboot?  Remaking the exact same toys wouldn't bother me.  But I don't consider the G1 inspired Hasbro toys to be G1.  They just don't have the same feel.  I wouldn't even make the connection if they didn't have it written on the box.  I'd basically consider it Gen 5.  :P

Yep. They had to go to a lot of trouble to claim that Twilight was Twilight, but I doubt she is to anyone who grew up with Twilight (I mean Twilight here, not Twilight Sparkle in abbreviation, for clarity.)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 07:15:35 PM »
That and they've proven they can't even handle their older iterations respectfully, or appropriately for children who may have been watching. Resorting to creepy, gross, tasteless humor.

Had the comment section been on, I imagine some POed parents would have ripped them to shreds.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline eveningstar79

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2020, 06:50:12 AM »
This is pretty much how I feel too

I'd rather have a reboot. Leave the old stuff alone. I'm sick of the constant reboot parade -_-

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2020, 07:04:44 AM »
I think they should keep moving forward. Some of the retro stuff that keeps coming out across the toy board feels patronizing to me. The Basic Fun ponies are done well, and they are enough for me.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2020, 03:27:12 PM »
Getting pretty meta in terms of fandom definitions and whatnot, but... Wouldn’t a “redo” still be a “reboot”? I mean, you could use all G1 or G2 characters, make the toys look retro, even build on to an existing world/story... but it would still be new and disjointed from the original version of what it’s emulating. Most fans would never accept it as “G1 canon”. It would always be “G1 REBOOT canon” or even something like “G1 2.0 canon”. Lots of franchises choose to use classic characters, designs, and backstories *cough*Transformers*cough* while still keeping those generational “universes” separate.

As for whether I’d like to see a redo attempted... I really wouldn’t. I like seeing cameos of characters from past gens (like Tirek And Scorpan in G4), but I wouldn’t want to see a current series actually attempt to be a sequel or reimagining of an existing gen. MLP is a franchise that does best when it innovates IMO, so I want something new. :)
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2020, 06:26:25 PM »
I think OP meant a reboot in the sense of same franchise name but completely different toys, line, concept etc. And redo as in a reboot based on a previous gen characters/location/toys...whatever.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal