collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best Repro Flutter Pony Wings  (Read 1117 times)

Offline sweetstuff85

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
Best Repro Flutter Pony Wings
« on: October 31, 2020, 01:22:34 AM »
Hello!

I just bought three flutter ponies without wings.

I’m giving them to my niece as a present. I want to get some wings for them but am just wondering a few things...

Will the repro wings break easily too? Are they sturdy to last during play? Also, What wings are the the best price/quality.

Also, I’d love to know how you place them... do you just super glue them into the socket?

I’m also wondering if it’s worth it if they are ultimately going to be broken?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Repro Flutter Pony Wings
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 03:59:05 AM »
Yes, you can buy repros - I think there is someone in Germany who makes very good ones but I will leave that to other forum members to post about, as I have never bought them.

You can just slot the wings into the tab slots and they should stay there without glue, otherwise a tiny dot should help hold them.

By the nature of their delicate design, any wing you place on the pony is likely to fall off (or shear off, if glued) eventually, in my opinion; unglued wings can be slotted back on to the pony again.

But - wouldn't it be more fun making your own, or for your niece to make her own?

There are lots of tutorials online and sellers on Etsy - forum member pinkkittywinks springs to mind, too!

:)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline IceCrystal02

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 08:15:01 AM »
I bought the repro wings form Germany twice, I can highly recommend them. They are very close to the original ones and they are excellent quality. I also bought similar wings in the US once (on ebay) and I'm not happy with their quality at all, so they went back to the box they came in.

I didn't glue the German wings on as they came in a little box so every time we moved house I popped them back into the box and when the ponies are on display they don't fall off even if they are a bit loose in the sockets. Another advantage is that you can switch wings whenever you like.

A forum member makes very beautiful "fantasy" wings, I can highly recommend these as well. They are sturdy and Crowning_Glory13 has a large selection, so I found matching wings for all my ponies. I now alternate between the original repo wings and these more colourful wings. At the moment my flutters show off Crowning_Glory13's gorgeous wings.  :)

Offline MintyMyndi

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 05:40:23 PM »
Here are some easy DIY wings you can make with household items: www.linniekin.net/mlp/restore/flutter/index.htm

Rather than gluing them to the pony, I'd glue a small square of craft foam to the wings to hold them in place if they are too floppy without it. Just squish it until it fits in the tab, then let it expand inside. It allows for interchangeability, which would be super fun with easy-to-make custom wings. I'm not too familiar with flutter wing tabs or the differences between the two versions, since I don't own any, so take that tip with a grain of salt!
Here's my ACNH creator code. I thought I might share it, since I have quite a few pony designs.
MA-2882-9995-3504

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 10:04:29 PM »
Starlight Studios makes some pretty repro wings.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 05:02:10 AM »
The almost identical copy repro wings are pretty much perfect on display.  The ones I get have a white tab on each wing that fits in the pony’s normal wing slots.  No glue is needed, and they should never be glued in.  They should remain removable if you need to pack up the pony, or you find that they don’t work with your living situation(like you cat suddenly discovers the joys of knocking Flutter Ponies off the shelf).  Unfortunately, they’re a bit too good, and they can break almost as easily as the real things.

If this is for a child to play with, I wouldn’t spend the money for the high quality repros.  There are cheaper, and often sturdier, options - including a diy made out of a soda bottle and some glitter.

Offline sweetstuff85

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 03:28:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input and your recommendations! It’s very much appreciated. I’m going to try to make my own and if I fail I’m going to buy a few cheaper ones since they are just for play.

:)

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 09:33:03 PM »
Here’s the soda bottle tutorial:
http://www.linniekin.net/mlp/restore/flutter/index.htm

The end step is gluing it into the pony, but I wouldn’t do that.  You can make tabs out of craft foam, or whatever you can find around the house or craft store.  It might take some trimming and messing around, but I think removable is always the way to go. Particularly if this is going to a child who might end up breaking them.  It’s much easier to pop out a few broken tabs than it is to attempt to dig out the remains of dried super glue.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 09:35:32 PM by goddessofpeep »

Online ZeldaTheSwordsman

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Death to Eclipse" protests DA's dumb new UI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 02:22:35 PM »
I beef up the tabs on my homemade wings with layers of cardstock, myself. Definitely don't glue them to the pony.

The Starlight Studios wings look very excellent, but based on what others have said about the durabiliy... If you go for them, urge your niece to take caution and stow the wings when she's not playing with the ponies.
should be perma-moderated

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 08:44:16 AM »
I bought my flutter wings from Nora in Germany (I think maybe she is the same as Starlight Studios?) and they are AMAZING.  They look just like the originals except the tabs being a different color.

That said, they are just as breakable as the originals.  I wouldn't give them to a child.  If the pony is dropped even once, the wings are gonna break.

I would go to a craft store and pick up a bag of fake butterfly wings instead.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 09:07:05 AM »
I bought my flutter wings from Nora in Germany (I think maybe she is the same as Starlight Studios?) and they are AMAZING.  They look just like the originals except the tabs being a different color.

That said, they are just as breakable as the originals.  I wouldn't give them to a child.  If the pony is dropped even once, the wings are gonna break.

I would go to a craft store and pick up a bag of fake butterfly wings instead.
very true I made wings out of fake butterfly wings I just bought them at various places so the flutters could have different wings. craft stores usally have them :) I even found them from the dollar store.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »
I make my own using Linniekins tutorial. Its a fun and easy craft project. Even for those of us who aren't aren't artsy-craftsy types. *cough cough me.*
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal