collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 non canon ships  (Read 2167 times)

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G3 non canon ships
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 09:30:36 PM »
Was shipping even a thing pre G4? I will admit to never even having heard the phrase or come across the need for it before this current generation.
I'm right there with you.  Shipping just leaves me scratching my head.  Insert romance where there is none and somehow this is a recipe for success.  I just don't get it.

Minty x Kimono?  I can see only one possible outcome to this relationship.  And it involves Kimono digging a shallow unmarked grave.  Alas, poor Minty, I knew ye well...  :cry:

That said, Minty seemed to have a thing for kissing other ponies.  Rainbow Dash, Sparkleworks, and Thistle Whistle come to mind.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Yeah... Never heard of shipping until G4 within the pony fandom. And I was pretty active during all G3 and the end of G2 around the interwebs. ;)

And yes, people have apparently been making up relationships for characters for a long time, however the term "shipping" seems to have arisen from X-Files fans, so in the late 90s likely.  Source: Wikipedia. ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:34:24 PM by spottedslug »

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 10:09:16 PM »
Well yeah it used to mainly be slash... (like so and so/ so and so). But I know people where writing these pairings as far back as the old Star Trek, cause I remember reading that the cast was all offended by it when they found out XD

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 10:37:52 PM »
Technically every time someone says "Chief and Lemon Drop are dating in my herd", that's shipping too.  Or Mommy Apple Delight x Daddy Apple Delight.  (Or Mommy Apple Delight x Chief, OH HO HO HO.)

But yeah, my G3 ships for the first set of G3 ponies were:

Kimono x Minty
Sparkleworks x Wysteria
Sparkleworks x Sunny Daze because Sparkleworks GOT AROUND
Rainbow Dash wanting to be with Sunny Daze but she wasn't interested
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 03:39:35 AM »
I've always thought of the G3 characters as kids so I've never "shipped" them except maybe in "friendships."
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 07:08:40 AM »
Was shipping even a thing pre G4? I will admit to never even having heard the phrase or come across the need for it before this current generation.
I'm right there with you.  Shipping just leaves me scratching my head.  Insert romance where there is none and somehow this is a recipe for success.  I just don't get it.
Shipping can exist within all medias depending one's own perspective, and imagination - shows like this where everyone just seems so close makes it a lot easier, but I am speaking as someone who has always been a "shipper" since I was a kid, so I would have shipped ponies in someway as a kid if I had watched it more back then.

Where did the idea that people include romantic shipping to boost the success?  If I was to even at the very least imply romantic shipping it's because I personally see it that way.  If we only did what we thought others wanted to see, rather than how percieve things there would be no original fanon anywhere (if that's what Rainbow Dash meant, I appologise if it wasn't).

It may also interest people to know, that there are actually at least three different catagories to shipping; romantic shipping, which is pretty self explanatory, friendshipping when the characters are viewed to be very close friends, while still not romantically involved, but it is more than just "being friends" (this is probably the most easiest form of shipping to use in the Ponyverse) and relationshipping which is when characters who aren't related at all, are given such a close bond with each other, they begin to act and feel that they are.  I have no idea if actually making them related in fanon counts as this or not, or whether it's just viewing each other as family.

Anyway, Minty/Pinkie Pie and Skywishes/Star Catcher are the ones that spring intantly to mind for me - the former is friendshipping, and the latter alternates between friendshipping and romantic shipping.  You would thing that with my undying love for G3 I would be able to think of a lot more, but then it's not like I ship every single pony with someone in the other generations either. 

I've always thought of the G3 characters as kids so I've never "shipped" them except maybe in "friendships."
No offense, but why would them being kids stop them being shipped?  It's your choice, but I just wondering why it would mattter.  I take it you mean romantic shipping in this context right?  I'm sure it could just be innocent childhood (foalhood?) romances if it was, but still, it's your opinion and I will respect it whatever it is.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:12:38 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 07:31:24 AM »

No offense, but why would them being kids stop them being shipped?  It's your choice, but I just wondering why it would mattter.  I take it you mean romantic shipping in this context right?  I'm sure it could just be innocent childhood (foalhood?) romances if it was, but still, it's your opinion and I will respect it whatever it is.

Putting together children in romantic relationships squeeks me out- innocent "foalhood" or otherwise.  I see them as kids, as I have said.  I'm not interested in putting them together romantically.  If someone else sees them as adults or even sees them as kids but wants to put them in "crush" relationships that's fine but it isn't something I'm interested in. 

G1s adults on the other hand, I did separate into families when I played with them as a kid.  Now, not so much.   
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 08:04:19 AM »

Putting together children in romantic relationships squeeks me out- innocent "foalhood" or otherwise.  I see them as kids, as I have said.  I'm not interested in putting them together romantically.  If someone else sees them as adults or even sees them as kids but wants to put them in "crush" relationships that's fine but it isn't something I'm interested in. 

Understandable, thanks explaining it.  :)
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 01:54:20 PM »
Twinkle Twirl x Sky Wishes all the way.

But also Sky Wishes x Star Catcher. 

I . . . have no idea how to reconcile those two pairings.

Yes, shipping was definitely a thing pre-G4!  Not as prominent, but yes. 

(Also, Minty x Kimono.  MINTY x KIMONOOOOO.)

See...I missed this...it really was not something I was ever aware of before.

I know shipping in tv shows in general started wayyyy back with the Original Star Trek..

While I still will admit to never having heard the phrase "shipping" outside of the...well...the post office, I know fans for other shows have always had their own fictional relationships that they write or talk about. My comments pertained to MLP rather than the wider world :)

But, look, its probably its just me. It seems understandable when we are talking about adult humans in tv shows where there is romance or the content is geared at adults against when we are talking about cartoon ponies which are for children. Maybe its just that I have always thought the need or desire to sexualise everything is a little unnecessary. To each their own however.

And before anyone jumps down my throat about shipping not just being about love relationships, I accept that. But in turn I would suggest people do need to accept the majority of "shipping" does pertain to that kind of relationships.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 03:33:59 PM »
My favorite ship is probably the Cutty Sark. *nod*
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 03:56:07 PM »
I like battleships myself. More cannons equals better ships!

*crickets*

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
Battleships can be awesome and now I want to play a round or two.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 06:37:16 AM »
Maybe its just that I have always thought the need or desire to sexualise everything is a little unnecessary. To each their own however.
I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I've never really found anything "sexualized" about shipping, maybe it's because I've been interested in romance since I was about five (yes, I'm talking purely about romantic shipping, here) so I have always been drawn into the idea of shipping in the TV shows I watch, and have done since I was a kid.

I hope you don't think I am disrespecting your opinion, because I agree that things shouldn't be sexualized, but I've just never found romance to be a sexual thing, just a romantic thing.  I'm not forcing you to agree with me, just stating that this is my opinion, but if it comes across wrong, I'm sorry.

You're probably right that most of the time "shipping" is the romantic kind though - it's certainly the most famous, and it seems to be the only one that doesn't get used with its full term (yet, people tend to specify "friendshipping" more).  Which is strange when you think about it, as the name shipping alone would be enough to show that it's all kinds of realationships.

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 10:41:16 AM »
I do have G3 shippings, but I also having a thing where I take many of the G3's who never apeear in the animated specials (Seaspray, etc.) that I turn into male ponies for the others. ^^

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »
(Seaspray, etc.)
But,

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 01:55:59 PM »
i always thought shipping was reserved for shows like live action tv LOL....   ive never heard of it pre g4 in the MLP fandom.   other than maybe slugger and buttons so to speak from MLP and friends but they actually were portrayed as a couple, the only if i recall not counting tales series and their "boys boys boys" song haha.   

i have heard collectors pre g4 refer to herd pairings in their toy collections (i do that all the time). but to be quite frank never heard of it in g3 show or heard any "ship" two characters specifically nor discuss it.   Man g4 has made the pony fandom a LOT more strange thats for sure.  I really have not gotten my head around this huge need for the pony fandom now to have their "team edward/jacob" type stuff all a sudden.   its driving me a bit bonkers.     
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal