collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tail rust help please?  (Read 4504 times)

Gogobinsin

• Trade Count: (0)
Tail rust help please?
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »
I recently got Nice n' Spicy and whilst she is in a mostly good condition I noticed at the very base of her tail that she had a tiny bit of rust on the left side. I was able to clean the rust off pretty easily and the rust problem is now not at all noticeable from the outside. She is only my 7th G1 and I've never dealt with tail rust before so I'm a little bit scared of removing her head and removing the washer etc. Should I bother tackling the rust or will leaving it create further problems inside the body? If it should be removed I'd be grateful if somebody could link me to a good guide with details on how to remove and replace the head easily as this is the part that worries me the most, thank you :)

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
Re: Tail rust help please?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »
Toothpaste is good for tail rust,  you just brush it onto the area with an old toothbrush then rinse off.

You need an exacto knife to take the
 head off and it takes a lot of precision to get it right. I dont have much experience in chopping the heads off though so hopefully someone has some good advice on how to do it!
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:51:30 PM »
Don't use an exacto knife!
Cutting a pony's head off should be a *last resort*, not a first choice.  See if it's loose already - most of the older G1's heads pop right off with a little pulling and tugging. Try starting at the back of the neck, by grasping the body firmly in one hand, and the pony's head in the other, pulling apart and twisting up a bit.  If that doesn't work fairly easily, try the sides or front.  If that still doesn't work, use a bit of acetone (CAREFULLY! Keep away from painted areas!) around the glue seam, repeat.  You can also try hot water to soften the glue.  If that still doesn't work, try dental floss dipped in acetone to help get through the initial part of the neck seam. 

If you get a partial area opened but the rest is being stubborn, see if you can pop out the "lip" of plastic that holds head heads in firmly.  A hemostat or metal handle, or needle nose pliers can be used to help lever up the head. You want to get behind the inner ring and pry from there, so it won't tear the plastic. Not all ponies require this, some come apart very easily.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:57:55 PM »
Sugarberry, looks like you said what I was about to. I would suggest taking the head off of one with loose glue first to see what you're working with, if this one's head is still glued tight.

I also second toothpaste for removing rust, and if you can get inside, I'd get rid of the washer (assuming that's the rusty part). The tail will generally stay in place without one.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 01:04:54 PM »
Yes, toothpaste is great for getting the remainder of rust out of a tail....however before you get that far you need to decide if you are happy enough to remove her head as thats the only way to get at that washer! If you are not overly bothered by the rust then you should just leave her...she is your pony and its your collection you can leave her as you wish of course...however if you are confident enough then try the below...

Before you get as far as a knife... occasionally the glue holding the head in place can be softened and removed enough with acetone on a cotton bud/q-tip and warm water...or simply some determination...only resort to the nice if you have to and if you do make sure you gently break the seam and then pop the head off - dont cut all the way through the plug.

Then with a pair of tweasers and some determination pull the tail out...remove the rusted washer and metal clip [you ll probably need pliers for this]...scrub the tail with a toothbrush and allow to dry...in the meantime clean out the body of rust [you may as well when you have her head removed!] then secure the tail with a plastic clip and then using a ribbon/string to thread the tail back into the body...head back on [you can glue back into position if you wish or simply replace]

Good luck!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:08:16 PM »
Cotton Candy bravely volunteered for photo assists.  ^.^

Prying the head from side to side.  Old glue seams are often easily "cracked" open this way, with no damage to the plastic. 

This is the inner ring you're trying to get under, don't make the mistake of sawing through the recessed middle ring between this and the head.

A loose G1 head. There's some extra plastic flash around the base ring.  Once you have a head off like this, they pop back on very easily with a little pushing and twisting, and are quite secure.  As an added bonus, your pony's head is posable now too.

I highly recommend removing rusty washers/any loose rust if at all possible, because it can discolor right through the plastic, especially around the tail hole over time, and any further moisture will only make the problem worse.  Removing the rust and rusty ring will ensure no more problems.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:32:48 PM »
I don't have much more info that hasn't been said but also soaking the tail in water and dawn soap for a while can help remove rust, along with the toothpaste already mentioned.
Here's a tutorial on how to replace the washer. :)
http://www.mlptp.net/tutorials/makingtails.html
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »
Tail rust looks nasty but it really isnt hard to get rid of. If the head is difficult to remove, heat it first with a hair dryer to soften the glue around the neck :awake: 
Here is my rust removal tutorial visitors can't see pics , please register or login

You'll need to open your pony up and remove the ruust because otherwise it just gets worse, spreads through the body, comes out the mane plugs, and discolors the plastic evetually. Even a little rust could be a lotta rust inside ...take a look at this Snowflake...

Doesnt look bad right?  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 45KB.

but inside...( mom calls the first picture the dirty toilet )- eeeuuwww!! visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 21KB.

Take some long nosed pliers , like my hubby has in this pic, (if you have thinner , longer ones than these thats even better)V and grab the tail, then pull it out through the neck hole visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  (if the tail is a bit frizzy, wet it and comb it first to make this bit easier)

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 27KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 44KB.

rust is easy to remove with some toothpaste (any sort will do) , a firm toothbrush and a bottle brush for inside the body  visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  You can get bottle brushes of various sizes from supermarkets (in baby section), or sometimes hardware stores

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 20KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 22KB.

Remove the rusty washer and the metal clip -I use pliers to prize the clip off (hubby is doing it for me in these pics while I take the photos visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 )   . Sometimes if its very rusty it crumbles off easily. clean off any remaining rust with toothpaste, and dry the tail n pony either naturally or use a hair dryer visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 37KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 33KB.

Use some cord (I use nylon parcel cord) to tie tightly in the centre of the tail and push through the tail hole and pull out through the neck hole visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 46KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 29KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 32KB.

use a plastic cable tie to secure the tail around the middle bit and cut off the long plastic ends.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 51KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 35KB.

Back to beautiful and no more rust problems ever again  visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  It's easy once you get brave enough to try.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 33KB.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 615x461 and weighs 27KB.

The head will push back on. If there is a slight gap around the neck seam then super glue will hold it but most ponies dont need glueing unless you want to visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hope that helped a bit, and if you have any questions feel free to ask  visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:27:24 PM »
What a great little tutorial, Ringlets! Taking the tail out is always the biggest pain because I don't have any tool to do it. Maybe I'll buy some once I'm back home.
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 10:02:21 PM »
What a great little tutorial, Ringlets! Taking the tail out is always the biggest pain because I don't have any tool to do it. Maybe I'll buy some once I'm back home.

Get some pliers from the hardware store, they'll rip that sucker right out! :D

The first pony is always the hardest and makes you feel the worst, but now I take their heads off all the time with no worries :P It's quite humorous really

gypsyunicorn

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 11:55:33 PM »
Yea it's funny how we find ponies,are excited to have them only to rip heads off to inspect them for a deep thorough clean,we are meaner then prison guards...our poor ponies...
I will have to try the toothpaste...and I usually leave the clamp on mine...I guess I figured the tail is fine under there and I let the pony dry for weeks with the heads off before putting them back on to display...as for the clamps I figure if the heads been off I can replace the clamp if it rerusts away,I dont really like taking off original clamps...am I the wierdo for leaving clamps? :cry:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 11:58:07 PM by gypsyunicorn »

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 02:20:51 AM »
Ringlets, that tutorial is great!

Urm, am I totally overkilling tail rust by using bleach rather than toothpaste? :P (just the affected area, not the whole tail)

Rococo

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 02:34:31 AM »
Great guide! Thanks for that. I'm gonna need to open up my first pony soon (G1 Lemon Drop) as she is rattling, for some reason... No idea why she is rattling. Loose tail washer? It's like there's something inside of her in her hoof lol.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 03:59:36 AM »
I'm glad you thought it was helpful :lovey:  it really is much easier than it looks as well once you try it ;)

LOL Rhini!! :lmao:  that made me almost spray my cup of tea over the computer screen!! :lol: 

Ringlets, that tutorial is great!

Urm, am I totally overkilling tail rust by using bleach rather than toothpaste? :P (just the affected area, not the whole tail)

Just be careful as bleach can take the color out of the tail as well as the rust ;)   it can also dry out the hair

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 04:19:44 AM »
Check your tail "clamp" for rust first before you pry it apart - rarely have I found the metal binding part itself rusty, it's almost always the tail ring that is the culprit.  If it's not rusty then you shouldn't have a problem leaving it in.  If it has rusted, the safest thing you can do for the long term health of your pony is to remove it. 

A pair of pliers is a must for any pony collectors basic first aid kit. Let us know how it goes!
 :accomplished:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal