collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Names that don't (seem to) match symbols  (Read 10777 times)

Offline RavenFeather

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Names that don't (seem to) match symbols
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2012, 11:51:26 PM »
Kimono: Paper lanterns?
Bunches-O-Fun: Flower bouquet? Why not a game?

I think Kimono=Japanese=Japanese Paper Lanterns.  And in several coloring books and kids books Kimono had her hair pulled into a bun with chopsticks in her hair, and wore Kimonos.  She's always been my favorite G3, such a pretty dark purple!!

One I think doesn't match is the G1, Whizzer.  *Faceplant* 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:53:10 PM by RavenFeather »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Thanks Bronely!

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2012, 12:25:09 AM »
Firefly... Blue thunder?
Fireflies sure don't give off blue light.. Or thunder. :P
Actually, some fireflies are blue but still!
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2012, 07:30:52 AM »
I can never get G3 RDs symbol.. if their gonna have an adventerous name, why the dainty pink rainbow?!

RD wasn't supposed to be adventurous originally, her release in 2003 showed she was the dainty fashionista of the bunch. Her symbol perfectly matches her personality and her name--she's all about the rainbows, daaaahling!

Dash doesn't have to mean to run, it can also mean a dash (little amount) of something. Or the old fashion expression "cut a dash" which means to make an impression, be flashy and showy.

Bunches-O-Fun: Flower bouquet? Why not a game?

Another word for bouquet of flowers is a bunch of flowers, so I think that was a play on words Hasbro was going for. ;)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »

Beebop has a lute.

Beebop is a genre of music, and a lute is an instrument? Maybe it's a stretch, idk.

That said, I don't think you can actually play beebop on a lute.  :P

As long as we're at it, why does Posey not have y'know, posies as her symbol instead of tulips?  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2012, 06:28:34 PM »
Unless I overlooked,I didn't see them mentioned so how about baby rattles and tattles? I get that their names rhyme, but how do they go with the bunny symbols? :)
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

Offline Zest

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »
Unless I overlooked,I didn't see them mentioned so how about baby rattles and tattles? I get that their names rhyme, but how do they go with the bunny symbols? :)

Maybe the option of two rattlesnakes wasn't kid friendly? XD :throw:
I do agree though, espeically since G1s tended to incorporate their names and cutie marks a bit more... succinctly
I mean you got Blossom instead of something like Cheerile Sunbeam Flower Patch.

And kind of late, but oh! Plumsweet and plum pudding! That is actually really, really adorable. I'm glad she's my favorite G4. xD Those straws totally through me off.
* ~ * ~ * Looking for: TAF Yum Yum and Buttons and Spanish Piggies! * ~ * ~ *

Bag of Magic Food

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2012, 07:06:26 PM »
RD wasn't supposed to be adventurous originally, her release in 2003 showed she was the dainty fashionista of the bunch. Her symbol perfectly matches her personality and her name--she's all about the rainbows, daaaahling!
But look at the first few descriptions on this page. It really sounds like Rainbow Dash was always meant to be the adventurous one who "rides rainbows" all day, but the people making the movies must not have picked up on this for a long time.

To be honest, I don't get the name Pinkie Pie. Yes, I get that she's pink, but its still completely unrelated to her cutie mark or talent.
This one makes more sense to me in the new continuity, where ponies don't get their symbols at birth, but have to figure out what they're passionate about as they grow up to make them appear.  So the newer main characters' names make more sense as something they would be named for how they looked as foals, or something their parents thought sounded nice, rather than the symbols they would gain later in life.  Of course, then Apple Bloom's classmates come along and throw this all out of whack.  >_<

So, maybe a lot of ponies change their names to better reflect their symbols, but some don't.  Or a lot of pony parents pushed their children very hard into appreciating the things they were named after.   :huh:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal