collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sculpting questions  (Read 262 times)

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Sculpting questions
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »
I'd like to sculpt some wings onto a blind bag pony.  I was wondering, would super sculpey be alright for that?  I only ask because I already own some.  If there'd be something better to sculpt on a blind bag with, I'd love to hear about it!

If I do use sculpey, don't I have to bake it?  And wouldn't that melt the blind bag? 

Also, do I need to adhere the sculpt with glue or some other method?  If with glue, what kind should I use?

Sorry, I am such a sculpting newbie...

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
Re: Sculpting questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:14:20 AM »
Hmm as to the medium, ill wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer but for the glue bit I'd suggest drilling a hole in it with a pinning vise (found in miniature/hobby/gaming shops) and gluing some wire in it to sculpt off of. Might not be necessary but might not hurt. But that's if you wanted them larger or unfolded... you can prolly skip the wire if you just want them folded on the sides.

I'm new at pony sculpting... so far I've only worked with GreenStuff which is a 2 part epoxy putty and no - bake, and I have a brick of no - bake  something or other ( wanting to say Das brand...) that I got from the art store, but I haven't tried it yet.

CarnationTwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:30:26 PM »
blah- stay away from DAS air dry clay.  It's no good to stick to ponies unless you encase the entire thing.  And it gets a bit too crumbly.
Milliput superfine white is a really nice and affordable 2 part epoxy clay that you can smooth with water, and once it's cured it can be sanded, filed, drilled, etc.
I agree with pinning if you've got sculpture that needs support.
I'm not sure how well the blind bags take to heat, but the regular ponies need to be fired at the lowest temp you can while still being hot enough to cure the polymer.  Invest in an oven thermometer.

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:16:05 PM »
You would have to make the wings off the pony and as suggested use some wire and leave a little bit sticking out to pin it into the sides and then use super glue to attach once baked.

Alternately you can go to Micheals if you have one near by with a coupon and grab some of the jewelry "clay".  It comes in colors and is actually an air dry two part apoxie which should be stronger then the clay.  I would still drill two small holes and  then use wire to form your basic shape and cover. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions and help, everyone!  I do plan on doing folded wings, so I'm wondering if I could just glue them on without using any wire, or score the pony's body where the wings will attach, then glue, for a more secure fit...

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 05:20:35 PM »
You could do that, any roughing of the surface will allow for better adhesion.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:47:33 PM »
Poop... so Das is no good then??? Good thing I found out before I started that custom I've been thinking of... been using GreenStuff atm but it's pricey and the next personal project would be sculpting heavy... at least this brick was cheap... only like $7, but still a bummer. =(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal