collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cool Rock/Gemstone Thread  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Nairamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Rock/Gemstone Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2024, 03:03:16 PM »
Your finds look awesome, especially considering they're from around town and a campground. It's all about picking up what catches your eye, right? Rock tumbling is such a fun way to see the hidden beauty in ordinary stones. If you're ever curious about identifying your rocks or want to explore more types for tumbling, check out https://rockstumbling.com/types-of-rocks-for-tumbling.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 11:26:10 PM by Nairamu »

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2024, 03:23:37 PM »
Wow Minty, those tumbled rocks look so pretty!!!  :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2024, 09:35:06 PM »
Thank you all! :biggrin: I finished off another batch, but I tried a new polish which did not work at all. :( I’ve got another batch starting right now and I figure I may just try and throw the last batch through the polish stage again with my normal polish. I found out my friend really likes rock hunting too so this latest batch is from a spot she recommended. I got a lot of quartz looking stones, so I hope they turn out okay!

You have a wonderful collection! I'm sorry to hear about your rock tumbler. I have a small collection somewhere, but I have no clue where the majority of them are. All I have around is a rough amethyst, which, unfortunately, has a unicorn sitting on top of it. I could possibly remove it, but I'm worried that I may do damage to the quartz in the process.

I personally favour rough ores and minerals over smooth ones; I am primarily interested in a more natural state, seeing precisely how they would appear in nature (or as close as possible). I certainly do like smooth gemstones, though—they are absolutely beautiful and far more pleasant to hold. It's just that I like ores and minerals more because they're fascinating little pieces of nature that just happen to often be very pretty, sort of similar to how one may see fossils, I suppose.

I totally get where you are coming from! The raw stones can be just as beautiful as the tumbled rocks, and if I’m being honest I’ve definitely had a few that I wish I would have kept as is. Sometimes the rocks can lose their character through the tumbling process.

Nairamu, yes that is exactly it! I always have my eyes glued to the ground and living in the desert, it’s not hard to stumble upon rock rich areas! :lol:

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2024, 11:54:55 AM »
I still need to take pics of my collection for this thread.

Eager to see how they turn out, MM!

I'm the same way, re rough stones vs polished. It really depends on the stone.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal