collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did you hear? Cecil's killer is dead!  (Read 5512 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Did you hear? Cecil's killer is dead!
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2016, 01:03:59 PM »
Now that's karma whoever it was. The only way I can get behind shooting an animal is if you live in a poor country and are hunting to feed your family or if an animal is attacking you or a loved one.

I'm not sure what you define as a poor country. Plenty of people in the US rely on controlled, legal hunting to eat.

As in 3rd world, plus there are people who still retain the same lifestyle as their ancestors.

Walmarts and grocery stores don't exist on every single street corner, and even when they do their goods are sometimes unaffordable. There are even some areas where hunters can donate meat they don't need/want to places like soup kitchens and shelters. Poor people exist in every country and everyone needs to eat. Some areas of the US have really extreme poverty. When my boyfriend first told me about some of the areas he drove through in Mississippi I was shocked.

And I mean, all of our ancestors hunted... even in first world countries. If our ancestors didn't hunt we wouldn't exist. You don't have to live in a third world country to prefer to do things "old school" the way your ancestors did.

Also hunted animals have a much better life and death than the meat you find in the grocery store. Factory farming is pretty awful towards animals from birth to death.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2016, 05:33:31 PM »
To rejoice over another human dying is sick.

Then I guess I'm just sick, eh? ;)

---

Regarding "hunting for food" - I agree that some people need to hunt for food. People like those in Appalachia, a lot of whom don't have running water or electricity and the soil they live on is poisoned. They hunt raccoon, rabbits and squirrels. With dogs and traps. Because they NEED TO hunt for food.

They don't sit in a tree stand with a six-pack watching the corn they set out for a squirrel to wander by.

They do not have exclusive membership to a lodge where they gather 'round the fire and talk about that legendary raccoon that got away.

They don't kill the healthiest, biggest buck (rabbit) "That's a prize 8-pointer!", take pictures with it, brag about it, post everything on Facebook and then make sausage out of it.

So, yeah. I agree some people need to hunt for food. But it's not the same people any of you are talking about.

PS. You don't need meat to OMGLIVE through the winter.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 07:27:01 PM »
Careful guys--no need to pull on some sensitive strings.

I believe the point was some people live in areas where they rely on hunting to live--like a homestead in Alaska for example.  They rely on the stuff they gather and hunt in the fall to get them through to the winter months <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 10:35:25 PM »
No one ever said anything like what you're implying, BlackCurtains.

Please do not put words in my mouth or make baseless assumptions about what I do or do not support. People all over the US and the world need to hunt for food for all kinds of reasons. That's all people have been saying.

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 11:09:29 PM »
I think that this topic is only going to get uglier... everyone has there own opinion on the matter that they feel very strongly about (I have my own) but I can't foresee this ending on a positive note.

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
Re: Did you hear? Cecil\'s killer is dead!
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2016, 04:00:27 AM »
I think that this topic is only going to get uglier... everyone has there own opinion on the matter that they feel very strongly about (I have my own) but I can't foresee this ending on a positive note.

[removed - df].

Post Merge: December 21, 2016, 04:04:18 AM

To rejoice over another human dying is sick.

Then I guess I'm just sick, eh? ;)

---

Regarding "hunting for food" - I agree that some people need to hunt for food. People like those in Appalachia, a lot of whom don't have running water or electricity and the soil they live on is poisoned. They hunt raccoon, rabbits and squirrels. With dogs and traps. Because they NEED TO hunt for food.

They don't sit in a tree stand with a six-pack watching the corn they set out for a squirrel to wander by.

They do not have exclusive membership to a lodge where they gather 'round the fire and talk about that legendary raccoon that got away.

They don't kill the healthiest, biggest buck (rabbit) "That's a prize 8-pointer!", take pictures with it, brag about it, post everything on Facebook and then make sausage out of it.

So, yeah. I agree some people need to hunt for food. But it's not the same people any of you are talking about.

PS. You don't need meat to OMGLIVE through the winter.

I'm so glad you had any idea what it was like growing up poor in northern Alabama. When yes, that deer kept us from growing hungry. So did the goats milk from the two goats we raised and the vegetables my mom was able to can from the summer. You have no freaking clue. There were no jobs, people were lucky to have one person working a minimum wage job or if you were really lucky maybe the one factory in town was hiring. Way to be rude.

[edited - please watch your language and do not call other members names. DF]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 07:25:12 AM by dragonfly »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2016, 04:44:16 AM »
So... you DIDN'T sit in a tree stand with a six-pack? Or go to a lodge? Or take pics and post on social media? And you ate other things, like canned vegetables?

Cool. So maybe I'm not talking about you?

And I might not have grown up poor, but after I moved out I was super poor. Like, couldn't afford both rent and electricity poor. I ate rice and beans *shrug*

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2016, 05:02:23 AM »
So... you DIDN'T sit in a tree stand with a six-pack? Or go to a lodge? Or take pics and post on social media? And you ate other things, like canned vegetables?

Cool. So maybe I'm not talking about you?

Who are you talking about?

Who is saying that is acceptable behavior... NO ONE HERE is, that's for sure.

What everyone is saying is-- Some people need to hunt to provide food on their table for their families. While I have mixed feelings on that, and I don't because it's not necessary, but it's very hard to argue that SOME families NEED to do it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:03:58 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2016, 09:06:01 AM »
Sigh, I was afraid this thread would risk being locked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think I'll just repeat that I don't believe anybody is celebrating this person's death and leave it at that.

....Tee hee not quite. I do remember learning that many communities in Alaska live off the grid like that! No electricity or anything, they grow and hunt their food for themselves. They actually have veterinarians fly out and use community shelters to care for the pets, since regular animal clinics are inaccessible. As much as I am addicted to technology I think that's really neat.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »
I too am afraid this thread will be locked.

I will not celebrate his death. Why? Because his family is hurting. Death is horrible. There is only one person in the world whose death I will be celebrating, if he gets that penalty, but that's another story.

I have been desensitized to hunting. My dad hunts. But he also eats the meat. And if he knows bringing home the meat is a waste of time (the rest of the family hates it), he will pay to have it processed and donate it to a homeless shelter.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »
I apologize DF. Obviously I'm to close to this topic. I'm going to gracefully bow out.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2016, 09:38:06 PM »

"Hunters"

Go back and read. It's totally okay to kill endangered species because it feeds local tribes. It's basically the same thing, and it's the same "hunters" that do it.

What everyone is saying is-- Some people need to hunt to provide food on their table for their families. While I have mixed feelings on that, and I don't because it's not necessary, but it's very hard to argue that SOME families NEED to do it.

Same! I already covered that.

---

Maybe, I dunno. I follow more of this kind of thing than most of you? Did you know that you can even watch TV shows on American TV where people "hunt" zebra and stuff? That's sick. Unnecessary and disgusting. People brag about the animals they kill on social media all the damn time. And it's isn't because it's a VITAL NEED. They just want to kill something. Like that guy who killed his neighbors dogs when they got loose in the woods. He was sitting in a deer stand! He knew they were his neighbors dogs! He shot them anyway! He bragged about it on Facebook! It took place in Ohio, I believe, recently.

When I hear someone say "I hunt" - I automatically assume they are THOSE kinds of "hunters" because the fact is the majority of the time, they are!

---

As far as the other topic of being pleased when a gross, destructive person is killed? Hell yes, I am.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2016, 10:19:54 PM »
No one here has supported people randomly killing pets. That is not hunting. It is obviously not what anyone is talking about in any way.

You are seriously twisting things and making way too many assumptions.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 02:24:10 AM »

"Hunters"

Go back and read. It's totally okay to kill endangered species because it feeds local tribes. It's basically the same thing, and it's the same "hunters" that do it.

I did read it! It seemed people were misunderstanding one another, and talking about two different things. It was confusing.

You were talking about someone sitting with a 6 pack, killing a bunny, and bragging on social media.....  Not a tribe killing endangered species when I asked my question.

Which no one here would disagree with. That's disgusting.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal