collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Turning Pink Wings Blue (and see through)  (Read 4131 times)

Offline Bunny-san

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ponydex.com
Turning Pink Wings Blue (and see through)
« on: January 18, 2012, 03:01:56 PM »
Ok, so I have one of those  Celestias with the clear pink plastic wings, but my idea is that I really would like to turn her into a Luna custom. SO. Thinking with light like in the theaters, is there such a thing as translucent acrylic paint? Meaning, paint that once I paint it over her wings, instead of them being just pink, the mixing of the wing color and paint color with the light going through it should be like a dark blue or purple color? (Am I making sense?) I'm essentially trying to mix colors of light and paint so that you can still *sort of* see through the wings..kinda a stained glass effect? *facepalm* I'm not explaining this very well...Does anyone get what I'm looking for/trying to do? >_<

Post Merge: January 19, 2012, 05:54:48 AM

:bump: Doesn't anyone have *any* ideas on how to help me out? I just pretty much want her to have blue see through wings instead of pink. Ideas? GO. Halp? <3
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:56:16 AM by Bunny-san »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you artists for my siggys!

Offline Chai

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • yoga pony!
    • View Profile
Re: Turning Pink Wings Blue (and see through)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »
Maybe you could try the paint that comes in those little suncatcher kits? It's translucent and you paint plastic with it. :)

thanks to sunnyrain for my avatar and sweetmelons for my sig.

Offline Bunny-san

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 05:47:22 PM »
That's a really good idea in theory :D Unless that kind of paint has changed since I was a kid, from what I remember, it's really thin and runny, and also, you had to do it drop by drop, otherwise, if you tried to spread it like normal paint you got massive bubbles in the paint v.v Does anyone know if there have been advances in suncatcher paint technology in the past 20 x years? :silly: Because if there have that might actually work.

Butterscotch1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »
There is a product called "Liquid Rainbow" by decoart that is used to create a stained glass effect. They are transparent paints.  It is something you apply directly from the bottle but might be able to paint it on and get the look you want.

Offline suzy.66

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 06:00:28 PM »
This is a very good idea, but I don't know any of this kind of paint ! Hope you will find some

Thank you so much to FanRobinHood for my avatar and ZennaBug for my marvelous persona ref !

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 06:02:11 PM »
Maybe you could try mixing an acrylic paint with a Floating Medium.  It is a clear gel product that you mix with paint to make it "float".  It essentially thins the paint in color, rather than in viscosity (like water would).  Does that make sense?  I use a product made by Folk Art and it comes in a 2 oz. bottle just like other craft acrylics (it is found in the same section at Michael's/Hobby Lobby).  Good luck!  :)
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »
These are all great ideas - You could buy a transparent color paint from the hobby store. It is normally a transparent paint type and I know it is acrylic and can be used successfully on ponies. You may be able to find it online as well. I don't have any specific brand names to help you out though - sorry. Or I would use the alcohol ink from Adirondack (spelling?) These tend to be see through and come in a variety of colors - make sure to get the blending solution as well - this will increase transparency.

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »
I've seen transparent acrylic airbrush paint by Createx.  I've never used it tho, so I'm afraid I'm not much help with how well it would/wouldn't work.
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 09:02:44 PM »
Could you maybe dye them?

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »
thats what i was thinking zenna -- dye would change the color while still keeping the transparent quality of the original wings

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 10:11:36 PM »
I use a glass paint called Gallery Glass to change the color of Fantasy Film wings.
Also, as okiegurl mentioned a light spray of transparent Createx would also work.

Good luck. :)
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline Bunny-san

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 07:35:36 AM »
HOORAY! IDEAS! Thanks guys, I will obviously be making a trip to the craft store later with this thread wide open on my smart phone XD I'm liking the idea of a paint on solution the mest though I think. I had considered dying them, but because of the fact that they're clear, and pink, I'm not sure what color I should dye them in order to get the actual desired end color. And Dying is permanent. Paint you can remove if it doesn't work out right ^^; And also, don't you have to dip it into boiling water to dye it? I don't think the sculpting i've already baked would like being boiled....ANYWAY, I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 09:51:01 AM »
Good luck, can't wait to see pictures  :D

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Butterscotch1

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 10:21:52 AM »
HOORAY! IDEAS! Thanks guys, I will obviously be making a trip to the craft store later with this thread wide open on my smart phone XD I'm liking the idea of a paint on solution the mest though I think. I had considered dying them, but because of the fact that they're clear, and pink, I'm not sure what color I should dye them in order to get the actual desired end color. And Dying is permanent. Paint you can remove if it doesn't work out right ^^; And also, don't you have to dip it into boiling water to dye it? I don't think the sculpting i've already baked would like being boiled....ANYWAY, I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!
One more suggestion - Krylon Stained Glass. It is a spray paint that comes in a 6 ounce can that can be applied to almost anything. It comes in a transparent blue.

Offline StarFaerie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 01:19:53 PM »
Pink to blue may be a challenge as you can't take the pink out first. So the light will be filtered by the pink and the blue when it goes through the wings. It should be an interesting effect though as reflected light will be blue so it will look different depending on how you are looking at it.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman in possession of disposable income, must be in want of a pony.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal