collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Marks on paint/symbols  (Read 463 times)

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
Marks on paint/symbols
« on: December 30, 2015, 03:11:36 AM »
So I've got a bit of an issue.... Over the summer I got some G3s at a yard sale. I've finally gotten around to having a hardcore "spa day". These ponies were well-loved and they all have some marks on them, however, the I'm concerned about is a Pretty Patterns Royal Twist. Some of the paint has been smudged, scuffed off entirely around the edges of the hooves and she also has marks on top of her airbrushed details. I can live with missing paint for the time being but what concerns me are the marks on top of her painted details. I've tried a basic soap/water with a gentle scrub but these marks are the stubborn variety. It doesn't look like marker/pen or stains set in the plastic from accessories. It looks like it was transferred onto the pony from some other toy/item she was rubbed against or stored with.

Obviously I'm not going to try acetone and sunfading will just ruin the paint. I'm also worried that magic erasers will be too abrasive.  Is there really any safe way to get marks off of symbols, eyes, and other painted detail while keeping the original pain intact?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Marks on paint/symbols
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »
Unfortunately the only option is to hope the paint underneath is made of sterner and more determined stuff than whatever has caused the marks on top. I have used acetone and magic eraser and rubbing alcohol in the past to remove (partially) stains that are on top of symbols. However its only been partially successful and a couple of times I ended up with more problems than I started with.

This is one of those cases where you either need to decide to keep the marks or try to remove them very delicately in the normal way you would remove pen marks. But if the latter do it with the knowledge you may have no luck or worse you may end up with more damage.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline CarolSpain

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »
Sometimes alcohol is a good friend.
Until now, it hasn't erased any of my pony eyes or symbols.
If you have pics of MIB with text in Spanish, please, share with me!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 04:27:09 PM »
Curious: has anyone used ethyl alcohol to try to remove marks? 
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 07:44:10 AM »
Yes, alcohol can remove marks without removing the factory paint, but I have found that it can sometimes remove some types of factory paint, like the kind used on Dream Beauties. I don't know if/how it affects gradients on G3s, but it might be worth testing it on a less-visible spot on the pony to see if it will affect it before trying it on the spot you want to remove.

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:27:51 AM »
Magic Erasers can work, I've done it.  It really comes down to what kind of mark it is though.  If you want to test it you can do what I do and use a very small torn off piece of magic eraser and use that to try and rub it more precisely.  Good luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 08:36:19 AM »
Magic Erasers can work, I've done it.  It really comes down to what kind of mark it is though.  If you want to test it you can do what I do and use a very small torn off piece of magic eraser and use that to try and rub it more precisely.  Good luck!

I second this. I haven't had any problems with magic erasers removing symbols or paint just glitter from the glittery ponies if I pressed too hard. Good luck!

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 01:11:25 AM »
Thanks for all the info! I'm glad that there's actual potential to get marks off of symbols and other painted areas.

As for the rubbing alcohol: Is there any percentage that works best or that I should avoid using? I've currently got 50% at home.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal