collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Little Pony references in other media!  (Read 1631 times)

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
    • View Profile
My Little Pony references in other media!
« on: February 02, 2022, 10:12:25 AM »
A little while ago I was watching Bluey with my Fiancé (the show is adorable and has become one of my comfort shows :lovey: )
In S2 EP37 "The Quiet Game" Bluey and Bingo's Dad has to buy a toy for their cousin Muffin. Turns out Muffin is a huge fan of a toyline called "Moonlight Unicorns"

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Seeing one of my favorite shows mention MLP is just a dream come true!

Anyway I want to see if y'all have any other examples of media referencing MLP!! Good or bad portrayals, whether you love or hate the media its from, I wanna see!  :nerdy:

:heart: Instagram is princesskittyowo! :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: My Little Pony references in other media!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 10:43:19 AM »
From Black Widow-

Love the 90s!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline PrincessKittyDragon

• Ouchy Roids Pony
  • All Ponies are Best Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 11:49:32 AM »
From Black Widow-

Love the 90s!

Oh isn't that one of the TY plushes? ovo

:heart: Instagram is princesskittyowo! :heart:

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 12:19:22 PM »
Ahhh I love Bluey! I haven't seen many episodes, but that looks amazing! I hope I can find that one somewhere to watch! :lmao:

Wasn't there a Princess Sparkle in Dawson's Creek, and it drove up her prices for awhile? Oops, I googled it and it turns out it's from The OC!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 02:19:26 PM »
Yeah the OC comes to mind immediately. apparently the shows creator's dad worked for Hasbro and worked on the development of toys.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 03:30:04 PM »
I don't have a screenshot but on The Cosby Show Rudy has a plush Bowtie in her room.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 03:32:12 PM »
I believe the first new live action Transformers movie back around 2006 or so had a big plushie Pinkie Pie in it!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 04:20:09 PM »
From Black Widow-

Love the 90s!

Oh isn't that one of the TY plushes? ovo
If that's what I think it is, the fact they used a G4 was doing the rounds on Twitter - it goes with out saying that they should have used a G2 or a G1, if that scene was supposed to be set in the 90s.

Edit: Yeah, it appears to be what I thought it was.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 04:23:25 PM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 05:46:16 PM »
gah, yeah. That infamous time traveling Twilight Sparkle. Egregious.

A lot of shows will use MLP expies as the default for girl's toys and cartoons. It's the easy thing to go for, and unfortunately tends to also be an easy target for belittling young girls. Ain't nothing wrong with wanting to brush a pretty pink pony's hair, y'all are just jealous ;)

My family used to get Bart Simpson (and mainline Simpsons) comic books when I was a kid. I recall one issue had a story where Bart wins a sweepstakes that will give him 15 minutes in a toy store to fill up a shopping cart for free. Most of the story was about Bart being harassed by just about everyone he knows, trying to coerce him into getting a product that they want. Lisa just asks if he can get her a My Pretty Expensive Pony. He's not planning on honoring his request, but shenanigans occur in the climax, and at the last minute on the timer he accidentally crashes the empty cart into a display of the pony toys. Lisa and Maggie are delighted at all of their new ponies, and Bart gets pushed around by bullies for getting a sissy toy.
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2022, 08:41:20 PM »
You see some similar motifs in the work of painters like Marc Chagall and Paul Klee
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022, 10:55:26 PM »
In an episode of Bojack Horseman, there’s a flashback where Diane Nguyen remembers getting a Dream Castle as a Christmas present. It’s not a big plot point, more set dressing, but it is is funny because the castle comes with a pony who more closely resembles a green horse headed Barbie doll. It makes sense since all animals in that show are people.

This one’s a bit more esoteric, but Centaurworld feels very g1 MLP inspired to me, only it’s the kind of MLP story you might make up as a kid, and certainly the kind you could only make with zero Hasbro execs involved.  Like, if you owned a bunch of My Little Ponies and a well meaning uncle visiting from out of town heard you loved horses and bought you a realistic Schleich horse with armor, Centaurworld feels like the story you’d make up about her meeting your ponies. See also: the old Nostalgia Chick (Lindsay Ellis) review of My Little Pony the movie that contrasted how that movie was written with her friend Nola reminiscing about the stories she made up about her pony toys.

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 10:50:18 AM »
In an episode of Bojack Horseman, there’s a flashback where Diane Nguyen remembers getting a Dream Castle as a Christmas present. It’s not a big plot point, more set dressing, but it is is funny because the castle comes with a pony who more closely resembles a green horse headed Barbie doll. It makes sense since all animals in that show are people.

I watched Bojack twice and don't remember that!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Purpleglasses

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 02:49:02 PM »

I watched Bojack twice and don't remember that!

Oh man, that’s making me wonder if it was a different character in a  flashback who got the Dream Castle (maybe Sara Lynn?). I just remember finding Barbie Pony pretty striking!

Edit: ah, it was indeed little Sara Lynn, in the Christmas special.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 03:04:58 PM by Purpleglasses »

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 10:41:20 PM »
Aha! What a great spot! Hilarihorse too.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 12:22:53 AM »
I think the OC was one of the more impactful, when it was airing, since it was an ongoing storyline with Princess 'Sparkle' and whatever the breyer horse was, if I remember right. Seth and...Summer's relationship? It's been a long time but I think I watched the OC when it aired.

There was also a scene in the Brittas Empire where a pony ends up in the swimming pool. I keep looking for a clip of it to recall which one, since I think it was a MGR pony, but other people remember others. That was a British comedy from the nineties I guess...

I've seen other more vague references lately, but can't remember any off hand.

Pony anachronisms irk me. I didn't know about that plush, but I am still annoyed at Stranger Things using a backpack for what, 1986? Featuring a pony from 1991.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal