collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thrift Store Olympics  (Read 3209 times)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Thrift Store Olympics
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 06:27:05 AM »
I have never done anything like that, but then there is nothing ever good were I live.

Offline BabiChuld

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • With pony powers, come pony responsibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »
Digging around through boxes and stalls on markets is about as far as Olympic feats go, sometimes the digging is hard work but you never know ^_^
Thank you Lindsay1988 for this beautiful Sig!  :lovey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Don't worry, be happy!  :P Come visit my pony page to see my collection grow ^_^ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Joannas-collection-of-Vintage-My-Little-Pony-toys/171365783052710

My Ridiculously huge Wishlist XD http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,347431.new.html#new

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 09:54:51 AM »
LOL I was upside down in a large box, digging through the stuffed animals....I found Red Fraggle!! 59 cents!!

Offline Jahlila

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • DA Page
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 11:07:10 AM »
Oh, I love everyone's stories!

I've only ever found ponies at a thrift store twice. I found a really nice SS Twilight in the very bottom of this huge bin of toys I dug through and I also found an Applause Firefly plush on another trip at the same store.

Flea Markets are where I do a lot of my Olympic events. I'm an extremely clumsy person by nature, but when I spot ponies, I can cross a stall in a few seconds without tripping. Lol just this past Monday, I walked up to a stall and spotted a pile of G1s near the back. I had to dodge past two women and a few cranky kids to reach them, not to mention jumping over a mound of stuffed animals. :P
*~*Jahlila*~*

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 11:20:46 AM »
Of course I've done thrift store Olympics and block sale Olympics.

My dad and I will race to the toys to see if we can beat each other to the score!!  We dig through all of the toys.

Block sale Olympics mean that you have to be able to carry everything you pick up till you can drop it off at your car.  Once you hit the 3rd block you start to think can I carry this all the way back.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 02:13:35 PM »
Oh wow! These stories are making me giggle tonight. Alas I am never lucky enough to find anything at charity shops no matter how hard I search or how much effort I put into it...clearly I was not meant to be a pony olympian
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

moonlight twinkle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 02:48:23 PM »
I find ponies at thrift stores all the time! And the other day I literally ran to the toy section because they had minty and snuzzle!

Offline MandarinCupcake

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Mandrixa - Etsy Shop
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »
I've loving everyone's stories! My Thrift Store Olympic story is one time I was checking out the toy section and at first didn't see anything at first glance. Then I noticed a little Blind Bag. Cute, and it wasn't one I had so I was happy. Then I looked down. I saw a hot air balloon. It looked familiar, so I picked it up, and sure enough it was Twilight Sparkle's balloon. Cool, but I didn't see any ponies, so I contemplated putting it back or buying a Twilight when I noticed a tuft of purple and pink hair poking out from behind a stuffed animal. It was Twilight! None of the items had prices, so I asked. The cashier took it too the back, and came back. She gave all three to me for $1.49!

I found ponies this past weekend too. That was a thrill. First I found a G3 that had gunk in her hair and her face chewed up. I wanted her, but I didn't want to restore, so I left her behind. Then another pony appeared. Then another, and another. I swear they just poofed up out of no where because I didn't see them on my first go through xD In the end, I had 3 g3s. 

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 03:40:21 PM »
I love these stories! XD

The only ponies I've ever found in a charity shop are two G2s:

I saw Wingsong's hair, freaked out, and then dug through the box of toys frantically until I found her and Cupcake (and the Beanie Baby horse - IIRC it was cheaper to buy 3 things instead of 2, or something). :P

edit: Oh, just remembered - I also found G2 Sweet Berry in a (different) charity shop! Unfortunately she was in a bag with several fakies, but still. XD

Offline Saiko

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »
I once saw 4 pink hooves sticking out of a pile of plush in a thrift store... 4 feathered hooves. I don't think I'd ever moved faster in my life! I scored Steamer for 50p, as well as Cotton Candy and Cherries Jubilee, who was wearing his bandana.
:heart:

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 05:20:42 PM »
Well, this didn't really happen, this was a dream that I had, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

There's this antique store close to my grandma's nursing home and I've popped in there a few times to look for ponies. None so far, but I had this dream that I found a whole bin of them, some MOC and some nirvana! But they were way overcharging them, so I let it be and went to go look at something else. Then I noticed that the cheapest pony in the bin was a Mimic and must have said to my mom how much she was worth a little too loudly. Suddenly, this whole crowd of women start running towards this bin of ponies to get to Mimic, kicking and screaming and clawing and grabbing this pony out of each other's hands. They were even ripping out bits of her hair! But somehow, I got her, and was able to outrun everyone to the cash register. But by the time I had gotten there, it had turned into a cheap doll.

I woke up and thought "eBay in a nutsell!" :lol:

In real waking life though, I did spot Bouncy at a flea market from several blocks away and practically ran just to go snatch her up. She's got a nice factory curl in her tail too!

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 05:41:25 PM »
Hahaha, I'm stalking this thread.  Such amazing feats of strength, all for the love of small colorful plastic horses. :lol:

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 05:58:35 PM »
These are hilarious!!!! I actually JUST found my first thrift store ponies today (just posted a thread with a pic of my find). G3's. No olympics though lol. Although I'm lucky, I go with my daughters, so I have lots of extra grabby hands!!!!
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 06:07:53 PM »
Fun thread!  :)

I go to the local thrift store once a week.  A large portion of my collection is from there.  Twice, I've found lots of multiple g1s.  Once, I found 90+ g1s, all bagged up 2 to a bag.  That was a crazy day.  I checked the toys and I just started spotting them but I didn't have any place to put them.  I couldn't just leave them there though!  So I grabbed like an Easter basket and began filling it up and filled up my arms with ponies, which I then dumped into my mom's cart.  I dragged her cart over and just dropped ponies in there.  That day was awesome.  :D
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »
I think I need to move to your town, scarletjul!

Finding a secondhand G1 where I live is a rare, delicious treat. I've collected for three years and found 1 G1 sleeping bag, 2 Hasbro softies, Duck Soup, Water Lily, and Megan and Molly. The Flutter Lily, Bouncy, and Little Flitter are all from out of town. And my dad found Moondancer at a yard sale.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal