collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thrift Store? Flea Market? Antique Store?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Thrift Store? Flea Market? Antique Store?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
I find them at thrift stores, maybe every few weeks? But I really think location matters. I'm in a fairly populated area. By my parents, though, I haven't seen a G1 in maybe 10 years, even though they have many more second-hand stores. And the fact that many don't sell old toys anymore hasn't helped.

Dyzarktarzk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 04:10:05 PM »
My flea market...  even if I haven't found anything in a long time *sad sad*

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 02:08:50 AM »
In all my years I have found 3 Baby Stellas - thats it - in all the car boots and charity shops and other locations...Baby Stellas and some Cabbage Patch dolls.

The search continues...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 02:18:01 AM »
I used to find ponies ALL the time at Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Valueland. However in recent years (Last 5 or so years) I have found nothing. My Goodwill doesn't sell collectibles, they send it to the Goodwill Auction site. It makes me sad! :( I miss finding ponies!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 02:42:00 AM »
First off, people are more Internet savvy now, so if they think they can get some money on eBay they will do that rather than donating to a charity shop. That's why it's harder to find stuff now.

Second, you have to venture out of town. Think about if you have local competition ( I'm aware of competition now lol so I think outside the box ;) )

Sometimes you can find ponies where you wouldn't expect. Does your area ever have church tabletop sales? Also schools sometimes have summer tabletop sales.

Most importantly you have to be looking all the time, preferably every other day, it's the only way to find the good stuff ;)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 03:31:51 AM »
All I can say is keep looking...
I used to (and I mean years, and years ago) go to the flea market every week and come home with ponies... But then it dried up. It's been years, and years since I've found ponies at then suddenly this summer, ponies again. Not many G1s but a few. I also found about a half a dozen at yard sales this year too...I just keep searching.
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline blu_clouds

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 03:35:13 AM »
My mom and dad used to find G1s all the time at thrift stores and antique malls, but somehow the word is out and now they are all empty.  In the early 2000s my mom used to find bags and bags of G1s, she hasn't found any in about 4 years and she checks all over the country, anytime they travel, which is a lot. 

HippieBex

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 06:02:34 AM »
Car boots are always a good place to look. I also check the local papers for jumble sales and the pages where people are advertising things for sale. Charity shops but the ones in my area never seem to have any ponies except fakies.

When we go to Florida on holiday, we go to thrift stores, yard sales and flea markets. We have got friendly with some of the people that run the main toy booths at one of the fleas who knows what time we come out to the states every year so she keeps a look out for the stuff we collect for when we come to see her.

We went to a yard sale last year and got a g3 playset with loads of accesories and about 10 ponies including Anchors Away for about $4. So it is worth all of the looking for the times you do turn up some ponies you have been looking for :)

Becky
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 06:09:06 AM by HippieBex »

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »
My goodwill isn't good for ponies, but a wonderful place to go for me is Once Upon a Child.  I have made 2 fantastic hauls there in one month so that is a place to try.

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 06:01:15 PM »
There was a thrift store around the corner from me, but it closed down all of a sudden! I swear it was there last week, and now [I guess with the change in month] there are "For Rent" signs in the windows and they are GONE! Sad face....

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »
I'm sure a lot of it depends on the area you live and where you look. We have tons and tons of Flea Markets here, but most are those booths people rent individually long term. Half the time they are clothing or items they want to get rid of, so I found a few G1s a month or two ago? Now I haven't seen anymore since the people renting the spaces do not have anymore G1s. I wish we had a place with more options. That being said though I almost always find Breyers and models. That makes me happy. ^.^
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 06:09:48 PM »
I find mine at Goodwills, Value village, consignment shop, flea market, antique store, and a vintage toy store.  I only had a small piece of luck on Craigslist with a lot of pony clothes & accessories.  I haven't been to garage sales very often, so I don't know how my luck would be there.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 06:47:09 PM »
I wanted to add that, if there happens to be a vintage toy show in your area, that might be worth hitting up, also.  There was one here last month.  It was $8 to park and $6 to go in, IIRC, but at least 4 booths had g1s and most of them (except the insanely overpriced booth) had them priced at $5/ a pony.  I came out of it with a Lady Flutter, Banana Suprise and Crunch Berry.   :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Mirage

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »
I see half a dozen ponies at my thrift store a month and a G1 once or twice a year.

I think it's because I live in a college town that has fluxes of young people moving in and out, I think they donate out ponies in all that moving.

who else here lives in a college town?

"College Town" would be an understatement! :P

Nearby me, we have: Marist College, Culinary Institute of America, Vassar College, and two Community colleges! Lol

I haven't noticed the ponies being any particular rarity... kinda one here and there.
I have not gotten much "hardcore" hunting done this past spring/summer - went to like 2 flea markets out of 6 I heard about - my friends & family schedules have been too busy and I don't dare go alone due to anxiety and blood-sugar problems. I think most of our thrift shops have shut down while I wasn't paying attention - 2 new ones opened up that I visited but they are to raise money for animal shelters and pretty much have pet supplies.

I've tried yard sales, but maybe one out of 20 will have a few ponies. I try to find ones that mention toys on CL or etc.. and if I can contact before hand, I try to.

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
I gave up on going to thrift stores specifically for ponies, because G1s are so rare.  I've found them when I was looking for things for my son, though.  I was looking for Dr.Suess books for a baby shower I was hosting this summer, and I found 13 G1s, including a baby brother with his bandana, and Edgar the elephant. 

Usually, though, I only find G3s that I've already got, and I leave them behind.  Every now and then they show up on local online listings too, like kijiji.

Good luck pony hunting!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal