collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tips for removing smoke smell from ponies?  (Read 5239 times)

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
Tips for removing smoke smell from ponies?
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »
Several weeks ago I received some G2s and a G1 from a seller who neglected to mention that the ponies they were selling smelled as if they had been marinating in an ashtray.  For at least two weeks, these ponies (which were washed and dried well) have been sitting in bags filled with baking soda.  I finally took them out today and they STILL smell like they've been bathing in ashes.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for removing smoke smell from ponies?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 06:30:31 PM »
I don't know the best way lol, but what I've done with mine is a bit weird but works 90% or better (and I'm allergic and very sensative to smells).  What I do is get a big heavy plastic bag, dump pony or doll into bag, dump a good amount of baking soda and baby powder in there, close bag so only the nozzle of my room freshener febreeze can get into the bag and spray the "fresh linen" scent in there for about 8 seconds.  Then leave to marinate for 2 months of the back of your bathroom closet and then take out and wash the powders off them.  It isn't 100% but it sure is a lot better then when they arrived lol.  Good luck to your stinky ponies. :)

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 06:33:36 PM »
Plastic absorbs smells really readily.  So I would say packaging them up with other materials that soak up smells will help.  But unfortunately most people recommend newspaper, charcoal, or coffee grounds, vinegar to combat smells but some of these will damage your poor ponies. A search threw out odeban but it seems too harsh for ponies, a few people complaint about discoloration on their items.

I've also seen sunbathing helps odors but it can fade out a pony.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 06:38:02 PM »
I gotta do this. I don't know if it's smoke but I have a Cherry Treats that has this really faint but unpleasant smell. Perhaps if I work hard enough I can get a little of her original scent to come through... :(
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »
Put the ponies in a plastic baggie with some baking soda and some dryer sheets and keep it in there for a few weeks. But you might not want to do this with a pony with colored tinsel, because when I did this with my Princess Serena all the metallic coating on the tinsel flaked off and all that was left was ugly mustard-colored strands of plastic.
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »
dryer sheets and seal them with the pony in a ziploc bag. leave alone for a few weeks.  ;)   worked for me
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:33:14 PM »
I have a Seashell who had severe smoke-smell when she arrived. I stuck her in my drawer with some Dove Soap for a couple days and she came out smelling perfectly fine after that. It's been five years and the smell never came back.

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 08:46:05 PM »
dryer sheets and seal them with the pony in a ziploc bag. leave alone for a few weeks.  ;)   worked for me

This works for me too!

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 08:51:21 PM »
I'm mildly allergic to smoke, but mine is kind of more of...an intolerance? My mother and father smoke, but since I no longer live there, scents affect me much more potently than they did before. Unfortunately, at the fair, I was overwhelmed (plus a little congested because of the pillows--gotta love those allergies /sarcasm) and didn't realize one of my purchases stinks to high heaven like an ashtray. In the seller's defense, I got her from one of the many bait bins for like $1-2 or something, so...

If the other suggestions don't get rid of all the smell, you could try conditioning her hair with a scented conditioner (I use VO5 vanilla scent and most of my ponies smell like vanilla  :lol: ). I'm definitely stalking this thread for more odor ridding tips though because there are alot of stinky ponies out there. :/

Offline glory78

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 09:02:18 PM »
Best thing I've found is mint denture cleaner.  Get some hot water (not boiling) and put in 3-5 denture cleaner tabs (generic brand works just as well).  Remove ponies after an hour or so and repeat as needed.  Allow to dry and you should have a greatly improved pony.  I've done this a number of times and have never had a problem with symbols but obviously, your mileage may vary.

glory78
Glory78

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 09:13:37 PM »
Hmm, try enclosing them in ziploc bags with dried tea leaves. Or in a tupperware with a rag cloth soaked with Lysol. Just don't let the cloth touch the pony- Lysol may be harmful to the paint.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:20:26 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 09:22:43 PM »
Fresh air works well too.

I got a vinyl doll that absolutely stank of cigarettes, and I just left her hanging in the shade outside for a month, then cleaned her. Now she smells as good as the vintage vinyl will allow. 

baby_yoyo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 07:34:27 AM »
I have had this problem and have 3 solutions!

1. I found a Parasol which reeked of smoke, so in the washing machine she went inside a pillowcase on a gentle wash with plenty of fabric softener, came out squeaky cleand and smelt lovely

2. I adore Lush products and I have a box which a gift set came in, Ive plonked ponies in there for a few days and they smell wonderful

3. By far the most weirdist! The family doggy Lottie has cancer  :( so when taking her to the vets I noticed designer dry dog shampoo by 'Pet Head'.. which is blueberry muffin scented, the dog now smells devine and works a treat on ponies! Just liberally spray them, leave for a few mins and rub away with a towel and voila! Blueberry ponies!

Offline Loona

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »
Put the ponies in a plastic baggie with some baking soda and some dryer sheets and keep it in there for a few weeks. But you might not want to do this with a pony with colored tinsel, because when I did this with my Princess Serena all the metallic coating on the tinsel flaked off and all that was left was ugly mustard-colored strands of plastic.
awww, good thing I read your post before blindly trying out the baking soda - I just bought some for other purposes last week, and was close to try it out this way too! thankfully only close to...

I also have this problem, heavy smell of smoke (and I'm also allergic to it :( awww, how the hell sellers forget to mention something like this? :huh: :mad: ), but not on a pony, but a Furby. sadly enough it's a Crystal baby, which is one of the few Furbies that has tinsel in its fur. is there a way other than baking soda that might work without hurting the tinsel? I already tried airing and surface washing (which will obviously not work, as the electronics must also smell of it, and I can't wash that :/ )... I also read about kitty litter doing a nice work absorbing smells, but I didn't try it out yet - but now as you mentioned tinsel I became a bit worried... how does that work with tinsel? is there anyone who has experience regarding this?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:54:22 AM by Loona »

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 12:04:47 PM »
Kitty litter!! [good quality cat litter]

Baking soda neutralises smells but kitty litter absorbs it...I honestly have found much more success with cat litter over time...you do have to change the litter occasionally and it is always best to cycle the ponies in and out. So leave them in a sealed Tupperware beside a tray of litter for a week, then put the pony somewhere they will get fresh air, then back in the Tupperware. I have found over time this gradually gets rid of most smoky smells! Sometimes it does take a significant amount of time however.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal