collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Yellowed Barnacle - thoughts/advice?  (Read 287 times)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Yellowed Barnacle - thoughts/advice?
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »
Hi all!

So I got this lovely lad in a lot off eBay:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I love the Big Brothers, and I'd love to restore him to his former glory!  He has the inevitable brown spots, and his symbol and eyes will need retouching... but it's his body that has me pondering how to pursue.  He's rather yellowed (moreso than the photos would lead one to believe), and I don't know if dark blue ponies fare well in sunlight.  I know his hair will need to be securely covered, eyes taped and symbols masked... but will the sun do weird things to his blue?  Does anypony have experience sunfading blue ponies?  Or brothers in general?  Thanks in advance! ^.^

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline bbassel

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Yellowed Barnacle - thoughts/advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 05:52:29 PM »
I can't help sadly but I am going to be stalking this thread. I have a barnacle with a couple brown spots as well. He is the only one in my collection with the breakdown and I originally bought him as a fixer upper but never got around to him yet. I am excited to see what people suggest although I don't think many people have too much luck sunfading breakdown. Good luck :)

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »
Barnacle is certainly prone to cancer and discoloration. (I seem to have more of an issue with Quarterbacks here.)
As far as I know, sun fading would not eliminate that.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:47:59 PM »
I can't say I've had any luck sunfading yellowing, as the yellowing seems to be a result of it, rather.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 07:10:32 PM »
Yeah, I think sadly sunfading a discolored blue pony is more likely going to discolor him further. Aside from attempting to re-dye or paint over it, I wouldn't think there's anything you could do for yellowing. :/
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 07:46:57 AM »
It depends what is causing the yellowing to be honest - is it a result of the chemical break down the same one causing the age marks or is it perhaps staining from another source [such as something pressed up against the pony or from nicotine] or is it a result of natural fading [as often plastics no matter their colour will simply fade to a yucky yellow with time - mainly because the other 2 pigments are much more readily faded].

Unfortunately without knowing which one of the above is causing it, its tough to say if fading will work - if its option 1 you could cause further further plastic break down by exposing the pony to the sun, if option 3 then the colour is already faded out and the sun would simply make it worse. However, if it is option 2 then yes you could manage to fade it out - but I would warn that as the pony already has age marks sun exposure could make them worse.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »
Thanks for the answers, everypony!  I popped Barnacle's head off, and now I'm beginning to think I've got a pony with outside staining only - he's his normal gorgeous shade of blue inside. *whew!*  Though he doesn't smell, I'm thinking tobacco might have been the culprit once upon a time (possible, considering I have next to no clue of his provenance).

Anyway, since it's getting sunny here in the Great White North again, I'm going to have a go at sunfading him... very, verrrry cautiously.  At best, he'll look spiffier; at worst, he'll break down further.  But he's got a good home no matter how the sunfading turns out. ^.^  Shall I keep you posted? ^.^

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal