collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Please show me... your best de-frizzes!  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Please show me... your best de-frizzes!
« on: February 13, 2013, 06:34:53 AM »
Please!  I want to see how you've tamed unruly pony hair!

I'll even start us off with my Brightglow - got her off eBay and she looked like this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Seriously matted and snarled.  I caught myself just in time, had just started in on her mane, and I took a photo to share!  Some work with the flattening iron at 250F later, she now looks like this:

Hooray for patience, flattening irons, and the unwillingness of nylon pony hair to melt! :lol:  She's still a teense frizzy towards the very tips of mane and tail, but sooooo much better than before. ;)

D'you ever wonder how many ponies wouldn't have been given up if they didn't get all frizzy-haired so fast? :wonder:  I find so many ponies, especially G3s and G4s, who need only a good combthrough and condition before they look splendid again... but enough rambling, please show me your best defrizzes! ^.^

*Edited to adjust temperature setting from Celsius to Fahrenheit... :doh:  Thanks again for pointing that out, PandoraFox! ^.^*
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:38:06 PM by Sugar »

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
Re: Please show me... your best de-frizzes!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:10:23 AM »
She looks fantastic! Nice work!

I just bought a flat iron ($4 at the thrift store, woo!) and I am so excited about trying to fix some ponies. If I actually find the time to try it out and have some success, I'll share photos.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:32:49 AM »
She looks great! I'm looking through my photobucket and I have some matted pony pics but I can't find after pics of the ones I've done. Must get some pics.

Offline Baby Mischief

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Liberae sunt nostrae cogitationes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 11:10:41 AM »
I tried to do that on a NBBE Lickety Split, but it did not work. What did I do wrong? :cry:

flutterwry

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 11:27:55 AM »
Hooray for patience, flattening irons, and the unwillingness of nylon pony hair to melt! :lol:
Hurra til deg! ;)
You totally should make a step by step HowTo, this result is a-m-a-z-i-n-g!

Offline zzzova

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:30:15 AM »
You did a great job, she looks amazing :)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:44:46 PM »
I've got 1 I took pictures of...
It was this Paradise from a lot. Her fuzz was chipped and terribly dirty plus falling out. Her hair was...well bad.

But, with laundry detergent, the curling iron and patience

...plus new flocking!

She became much better. I think another thing she had going for her is that the hair color responds well to  the detergent/curling iron method.

I love seeing a successful de-frizz. Some frizz is impossible to rid of (I think) while some will go out with enough elbow grease. I hope everyone's got cool de-frizz photos to add!

Offline bbassel

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 01:50:05 PM »
I have a ss paradise that needs a good deflocking. Sooooo pretty. I haven't tried the flatiron before but am going to have to now : )

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »
*stalks thread*  I really need to have a de frizz day for some of my ponies...they desperately need it.

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 02:06:15 PM »
wow i have never been able to do this thus i do have a cheap hair straightener aka flat iron so have melted practice  ponies hair in the pass
i really really wish i could do this cos i can not stand frizzy dry hair.

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Pickenprod

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »
I need to start taking Before photos, heheh. I have straightened many ponies with moderately frizzy hair, but haven't had the luck to come across a matted mess yet.

Tell me more about this detergent method...

PandoraFox

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 02:53:40 PM »
Well I've got my stripes, who I'm still quite proud of. Though it's been quite a while since I fixed her up.
She went from this:

To this:

Needless to say, curls were added after that.  :lol:

Some work with the flattening iron at 250C later.

Wait, which temperature system are you using? Is that degrees centigrade? Because I've never dared take my flattening iron over 100 degrees centigrade on pony hair, ever since I got one with adjustable temperature settings. I worked very carefully with a non adjustable one before, but I'm  much more comfortable with the new set up. (Takes a heck of a lot less turning the thing off and on for one!) However, I'd love to know just how hot I can risk going.

Also, WingsOfMasquerade, that Paradise looks amazing now!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:55:21 PM by PandoraFox »

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 03:37:01 PM »

Wait, which temperature system are you using? Is that degrees centigrade? Because I've never dared take my flattening iron over 100 degrees centigrade on pony hair, ever since I got one with adjustable temperature settings. I worked very carefully with a non adjustable one before, but I'm  much more comfortable with the new set up. (Takes a heck of a lot less turning the thing off and on for one!) However, I'd love to know just how hot I can risk going.

You know, I'm so brainwashed accustomed to Celsius, I never even bothered to question if it mightn't be in Fahrenheit. :dragon:

*time passes*

I checked, and it is indeed in Fahrenheit.  OMG, thank you for pointing that out!  Yipes!  So... 250F is what I never go beyond - and even that has resulted in a messy melty moment when I wasn't too quick with the iron (but on a fakie I practiced with, so not so terrible).  I take my own hair up to 400, but that's because I have nasty natural curls that just don't... stay... straight!!!  Darned humidity. :razz:

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

PandoraFox

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »

You know, I'm so brainwashed accustomed to Celsius, I never even bothered to question if it mightn't be in Fahrenheit. :dragon:

*time passes*

I checked, and it is indeed in Fahrenheit.  OMG, thank you for pointing that out!  Yipes!  So... 250F is what I never go beyond - and even that has resulted in a messy melty moment when I wasn't too quick with the iron (but on a fakie I practiced with, so not so terrible).  I take my own hair up to 400, but that's because I have nasty natural curls that just don't... stay... straight!!!  Darned humidity. :razz:

Fahrenheit it is then! Thank you. That ought to be about 120 degrees Celsius actually, if Google isn't failing me.
And man, everything around my parts comes in degrees Celsius. If I'd get an item or device working with Fahrenheit I'd be so confused. XD

Also man, your hair sounds like the exact opposite of mine. Mine is so straight, I've resorted to special anti-slip hairbands. Now, I can finally have it in a high ponytail or something similar for more then an hour at a time. Putting curls in my hair is just not an option, before I'd be able to properly enjoy them, they'd be gone again.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
Wow what amazing transformations - just shows what heat and determination can over come :) Congrats.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal