collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Was Your "Newbie" Mistake/Assumption?  (Read 13184 times)

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
Re: What Was Your "Newbie" Mistake/Assumption?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 12:46:02 PM »
I don't think I have made any huge mistakes. I have knowingly overpaid for a few ponies because I've been impatient etc, but then again I've gotten some bargains as well. I paid less than $15 for each of my wingers, for example.

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 12:54:37 PM »
I thought that I had to complete all sets to be happy. Now I regret it a little, because I wouldn't sell any pony that I do have, but there are a few that I bought purely as set completers and now I am so short on pony space - again!

Offline willa

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Greek Ladybird Mint in Egg
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 01:18:30 PM »
Many years ago now I found my chlldhood Forget Me Not flutter pony, her wings had long broken off but I always really hated the way her wing holders just stuck out so I hacked them off!  I didn't realise at the time you could get replacement wings : (  I got her out of storage a few weeks ago and promptly put a lovely lilac ribbon round her middle to hide the scars x
SEEKING... Princess Taffeta & Pristina, 7 Tales Bon Bon and Peru Unicorns Moonstone & Windy x

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline KaibaGirl007

• Blue Eyes pony
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • Depends Pony
  • Screw the rules, I have ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
When I first got internet access I went on an eBay shopping spree and bought several common ponies as over overpriced BINs :blush:  It doesn't bother me too much now though as they were ones I had always wanted as a child but never gotten and they were in excellent condition.

FOR SALE! visitors can't see pics , please register or login

On holiday between 18th to 26th April; unable to reply to messages during that time

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 01:20:13 PM »
When I started, I KNOW I paid way too much for some ponies. And even more recently, I placed a little too much trust in sellers... a few months back I bought a bunch of ponies from a private seller... out of slight desperation for a set completer and the fact that I was getting grumpy over not being able to find a Sugarberry without awful hair, I paid NZ$20 for one she described as mint - she couldn't flaw her, and the photo appeared to show all was well. When she arrived, she had pindot all down her legs...  :mad: (she looks gorgeous now though, all fixed up...)
I also bought from the same seller a Quackers, also described as mint. She has brown mould spots all over her.

My dumbest mistake though, I think, was starting to deflock two childhood ponies whose flocking was awful. Shady went into the water first.... uh huh... you can see where this is going, right!?  :lol:  I thought to save on time I'd shove North Star in there too. Well... that lovely chartreuse did its work, and North Star's hair.... oh dear. I had no idea at the time that the chartreuse would leach. I subsequently lost interest in de-flocking them and on-sold them as bait  :whistle:

Offline ristvak

• Trade Count: (+88)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »
My accidental G3 Fizzy Pop army...

Everytime I go to a meet or go on a pony shopping spree I go "OMG SHE'S GORGEOUS I MUST HAVE HER!" and buy her.
Only to get home and find the other Fizzy Pops that got bought the same way XD Darn that pretty pony!
If you haven't received feedback from me, give me a nudge!

Babushka

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 02:29:22 PM »
When I first joined the Arena, I started trading to build my feedback. Besides making a few stupid trades (I do believe some older members pulled the wool over my eyes with some sea ponies), I traded with a since-banned member who was a nightmare. She later tried to do the same thing over at the TP.

In short, I have a very sad Peachy and flutter pony who need some love (who were supposed to be mint, including wings for the flutter).

Now, I watch my trades and traders. Lesson learned.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:32:53 PM by Babushka »

Offline hokuspokus

• Undiscovered 8th pony in the 7TALES series
  • Trade Count: (+108)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 02:46:51 PM »
I had a few, but dont remember the axact amount i paid but;

Buying pretty common ponies for wááááy more then their value. I could have gotten some for a lot less!

cody_sunday

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 04:11:06 PM »
i regret some of my sales i made when i first started clearing out my old collection, thankfully coming on here and asking about my massive childhood lot saved me from putting them all on ebay in one huge group and losing god-knows how much money, but i'm sure some people definitely got some good deals from me parting with rarer ponies before i really knew anything about them! there's a few i definitely wish i'd put on ebay now i see what they go for! haha
oh Baby Sapphire! you naughty thing >___<
xx

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 04:31:38 PM »
I wasnt a NoOb but I sold MIP..ah crap. I forget their names but they were 2 super long hair ponies that were only found in some hardware store in the midwest..for $25. I had NO IDEA their value had skyrocked to over $100. One was blue and one was white with a green bird. GAH, its gonna drive me crazy till i remeber their names! 

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Dyzarktarzk

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 05:11:53 PM »
My mistake?  Almost letting go and not buying a Macau Blosscoth at the flea market because: "But she is not a 'normal pony'!! Her colors are way different... is she a fakie?"

But bought her in the end XD  And years later... found out what a nirvana pony was o.O

I don't think I've made mistakes while buying ponies...  I believe...

But I've made other mistakes... that's why I now prefer to sell and post a lot of pictures and sellers ask questions about ponies...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:15:49 PM by Dyzarktarzk »

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 05:18:30 PM »
I had a bit of a panic attack when I realized that I had customized a Thailand baby.  Then did some digging and found that is where all the FP babies were made.  For a few minutes I thought the Pony Patrol was going to get me.   :P
:socks:   :frog:

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »
I got a Heart-Throb with a very short mane, I figured that I could reroot her with a nice long one... I didn't know how to take the hair out of the head properly, and I didn't know how to fix the rip that I got in the head as a result, so I just left it and rooted around the hole... Now Heart-Throb has a mane, but a big bald spot. :( But she's my first G1, as well as my first REAL MLP, so I can't get rid of her.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Tribble79

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 05:42:41 PM »
The only thing I've done so far is with a custom FBR that I rehaired before I sealed. But then I've only done 4 customs so far, so lesson learned. Plus it wasn't really that big of a deal cause the custom was for hubby and he doesn't mind that the hair is a little crispy at the edges of the mane and tail....

Offline windsong

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 06:10:03 PM »
I got a Diamond Dreams in a lot on eBay. Since I didn't want her for my own collection, I decided to sell her on the Arena. Since I didn't know her value, I set the price at $2.00. She was a bit dirty and needed touch-ups on the paint, so I thought that was a decent deal. I had 5 messages in my inbox the next day--all requesting Diamond Dreams.

*facepalm* Lol.

~ My Etsy Shop ~ Arena Sales ~ Wants ~ My Book Blog ~ TY Badjuju86 4 avatar  :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal