collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Plant Thread  (Read 27185 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: The Plant Thread
« Reply #735 on: March 02, 2024, 10:44:18 AM »
Your plants look great BC.  :D   

I didn't realize it's been so long since I showed pics of mine. 

Mint 1 looks dead. :wail: 

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

When I'm sure we're out of danger of freezing temperatures, I'll remove all of the dead stuff.  I watered it today hoping that deep down it might still be alive.

Mint 2  (please overlook my jeans and shoes in pic)  I need to take the dead stuff off of it too.

Ficus

There's only 2 leaves left.  I hope it's not dying.

aloe

sage

lavender

strawberry plant

poinsettia

Walmart has started putting out plants, but with the unpredictable weather I don't want to buy new plants yet.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #736 on: March 02, 2024, 11:52:48 AM »
Oh no :( I hope the mints can bounce back.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #737 on: March 02, 2024, 02:50:12 PM »
Ponyfan, mine were pretty much like that. they're coming back now that i trimmed off all the dead stems and leaves.

i've been pretty much ignoring my plants since we've been getting some rain lately. and they seem to be doing well. even a couple of the once i thought were dead are trying to make a comeback. not sure what that says about me but i'll take it :D
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #738 on: March 02, 2024, 04:27:47 PM »
Mint is quite resilient, I think it's right to keep watering it until there is no hope. The other plant looks ok, just needs tidying as you said. :)

One thing you can do to check if a plant's branches are still alive (and note, this isn't a sure fire way of proving that a plant isn't alive, but it is a good way of assuring it is) is to gently scrape the stem somewhere low down on the plant near the soil surface and see if it is green underneath. If it is, then the plant is definitely alive and will put out new growth, it's just dormant. If not, it might still be alive at the roots so it's good to leave it a while longer to see what it does.

I was reading up some online blog about poinsettias and caring for them. And it kept on talking about when to 'throw out' a plant, or 'keep it living'. I don't really like harsh language like that, like plants are things and not alive :/ But anyway, it said that 'if you are very attentive, you can keep them going for two or three years.'

I looked at my poinsettia (now about 9) and thought...hrm. Well.

A lot of the advice on there about poinsettias and their behaviour in different seasons also doesn't gel with what I've seen with mine over the last several years. Mine doesn't bract anymore, but she still grows at a mad rate, and never has periods of dormancy.

In the garden, my (frost tender/half hardy) Fuchsia is starting to leaf. It was cold tonight, though, hopefully it's still ok. It's been through 2 prior winters with no covering, though...it doesn't know it's not hardy *shh* ;)

For some reason I generally have better luck keeping half hardy fuchsia alive over winter than I do hardy ones. Go figure.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #739 on: March 03, 2024, 02:56:41 AM »
On the square of Ponta Delgada on São Miguel (Azores) stand a large and a couple of centuries old Poinsetta tree. It's branches are so long and heavy they have put up wooden crutches to help keep them up. According to the tour guide it still blossom now and then, at least it did ten years ago :). Unfortunaly, the pics on my computer and on my easy access hard drive only goes back to 2015. I will have to find and go through my cable driven hard drive to find the pics of it.

Ponyfan I dare say the mints are okay. Rememeber they are like a weed. The green will return :).

Yesterday evening I brought all my plants to the tub and got them the yearly shower to wash away dust from the leaves and give the dirt a good soak. Then I left them overnight and brought them back this morning. They all look so much more happy and lush :).

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 03, 2024, 07:33:38 AM »
Ah, that sounds awesome :D Something for mine to aspire to. Though she's usually more concerned in dropping leaves on my bed when I'm not looking, and operating my audible app on my fire tablet with her leaves ;)

I accidentally knocked over one of the seedlings on the windowsill today and it has a bent stem. I have had luck splinting plants before, but never this young. I've propped it up and we'll see how it goes. If it survives then I will transplant it so that the bent section is below the soil level, which will give it a chance to recover - but trying to do that now will disturb the other seedlings and I don't want to lose more than I have to.

There are five through properly (including the damaged one), plus one which has popped up with its seed case still on its leaves (if it can't remove it itself I will have to do that verrry carefully for it)...and one that looks like it is just about to come through. Think they're all datura.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Beldarna

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 05, 2024, 04:35:21 AM »
it always feels weird starting to grow seeds when it's so much snow outside.. but I've planted cherry tomatoes and chillis for pots. I'm gonna plant cucumbers in a month. The chilli is a no show but the tomatoes are a couple of centimeters high now :).

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 05, 2024, 06:34:01 AM »
Update on the damaged seedling - it likes its splints and is continuing to grow normally. I'm going to try and transplant it and the others in its tray soon, as I don't think any others are coming through.

The seedling with the seed head on had not developed properly, the whole lot was still fused together. The stem was going black so I removed what I could. I am not sure if it has enough surviving leaf to survive, but thus far it seems to be trying.

It's in a different tray from the others so for now I'll let it grow on there. It has one larger companion who should be pricked out but it may have to wait.

Spider plants are flowering. :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #743 on: March 05, 2024, 10:16:57 PM »
Hey Ponyfan, I'm not sure about the ficus but I would pull it out and smell the roots - check that they aren't stagnant in that bonsai pot. The Aloe looks great but the lighter colour in the crowns maybe means it needs a feed - could try a homemade one with banana skins.

It's sowing season here. I'm trying to get around to sowing a lot of seeds this week. Main veggies indoors for plugs will be onions, true spinach, peas for pea shoots and some herbs.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Beldarna

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 06, 2024, 01:44:09 AM »
So.. photos..

My plants in the tub.

My thriving little Ufo-plant. Still hanging in there.

My ficus, returning to life.

My tomtaoes.. no chili, yet. Might need to resow those. Right part is left for the cucumbers.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #745 on: March 06, 2024, 07:30:29 AM »
All your plants look so happy in the tub!

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 06, 2024, 12:27:11 PM »
"Yay, bathtime!"

I swear my spider plants are way too curious about other plants on the windowsill. Trying to get at the seedlings today, having to move spider leaves several times. These leaves were not in that direction last night - this morning one was trying to get in the vent holes...

Bless :)

These are plants who put their runners into the room (towards me/the TV/the poinsettia) and not the window (where the light is!). I swear they're watching the football.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 08, 2024, 04:24:00 PM »
I have a strawberry  :rasp:

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Beldarna

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 09, 2024, 03:59:24 AM »
BC They were so happy! A years worth of dust gone so they could breath properly again :).

Taffeta I have a spiderplant in the kitchen that has little runners aiming for the windowsill. It hangs from the roof a bit in. It's interesting to see how hard it tries. But I can't have it in the windows, the cats would eat it up.

Ponyfan yaaay!

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #749 on: March 09, 2024, 06:07:37 AM »
the peony i planted last year is coming back! i thought it was probably dead but then i saw some green. so i just left it alone. yesterday i looked outside and saw a bunch of green shoots :)
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal