collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 638
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Junk Journals  (Read 3124 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Junk Journals
« on: February 17, 2023, 07:14:12 AM »
Hello!

I do a lot with digital paper with my miniatures. I have a collection in the hundreds on Etsy :lol:

Most of the shops that have digital paper patterns also sell graphics and sometimes physical things like lace cutouts and stickers for junk journals. Only recently have I taken an interest in them. I think putting one together would be fun. I'd like to do a forest theme.

I'm wondering if anyone makes them? Or even keep a real journal but spruce it up with stickers and labels and ephemera. I guess it's like scrapbooking but more random?

All my life I've tried to keep a journal and always fail, I think because it's too personal. A junk journal just for aesthetics would be easier for me to get into. I don't really need a new hobby but I'm thinking this is something I can do in my downtime.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Junk Journals
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 10:33:03 AM »
I had to google them but yes, now I want one.  :lol:

I do write in journals and sometimes paste things like photocopies in them.

I had to edit for spelling.  :lookround:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 11:09:03 AM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 12:58:49 PM »
I haven't tried making one yet but I'm planning to - I'd love to give them as gifts! A forest themed one sounds wonderful.

I keep a bullet journal but it's fairly simple, I mostly just use washi tape to decorate it, sometimes stickers and/or ephemera, scrapbooking paper etc. I have tons of stuff like this for my deco swapping hobby. However, that hobby means I have very little time for any other papercrafts... But I'm slowly trying to branch out a little. The bujo is something I want to keep simple, though - those fancy handdrawn planners are not my thing, I need my journal in order to keep my sanity, it's my workhorse and it needs to be quick to set up. Actual journalling is something I also haven't done in years, the last time I kept a diary was in my teens, and I was never very active. Now I'm starting to feel like I would benefit from long-form journalling. But maybe I'll do that in the traditional way, too, instead of combining that with the junk journal thing.

Oh, I suppose I have a very rudimentary kind of junk journal - it's a notebook that's almost coming apart because it's so full of all kinds of tickets, leaflets, programmes and other keepsakes from events I've attended over the years. Most of the time I don't really write anything in it, though, just paste in the stuff, and I don't decorate it in any way.

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 03:54:01 PM »
I didn't know what a bullet journal was until I watched Shaiyeh's YouTube videos. I put everything like appointments and reminders in my computer or my phone. My handwriting isn't very good, and I have a touch of dyslexia so I avoid writing whenever possible. It also makes my wrist hurt. I don't think I ever learned how to hold a pencil or pen correctly. Weirdly, it doesn't happen with paintbrushes.

I also have a folder full of stuff like that. I'm a greeting card keeper too and have an overflowing folder of cards going way back to when my great grandmother was still alive.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 11:33:10 AM »
I've really wanted to try junk journalism, I like to collect random things I find in places they shouldn't be. I do have some scrapbook pages in my scrapbook that are junk pages, basically a collage of things I've found in books or otherwise since I started working at the library.

I have picked up and dropped bullet journaling a million times. It was just too much work to set up and decorate the pages. I recently picked up a weekly wellness diary from Typo and that's been nice because everything is set up for you. It has area's for reflective journaling, a habit tracker, a water intake tracker, a budgeting page for each month, and other nice stuff. I'm not using it too heavily, but it's nice to have to keep track of projects at work and the budgeting page is great too.
I'd drop a link but they don't seem to have the online anymore :(
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 07:42:16 AM »
I haven't tried proper junk journaling, but I like the concept and I sometimes watch it on yt :) I (as you know) keep a BuJo - I have done a spread here and there wish sort of art/junk journal influences, but it's been a good while.
I, like Griffin, mostly use washi, and stickers ^^'

I didn't know what a bullet journal was until I watched Shaiyeh's YouTube videos. I put everything like appointments and reminders in my computer or my phone. My handwriting isn't very good, and I have a touch of dyslexia so I avoid writing whenever possible. It also makes my wrist hurt. I don't think I ever learned how to hold a pencil or pen correctly. Weirdly, it doesn't happen with paintbrushes.

I also have a folder full of stuff like that. I'm a greeting card keeper too and have an overflowing folder of cards going way back to when my great grandmother was still alive.

:hug:

just wanted to say, pens hurt me too xD the correct way to hold a pen is holding it in a way so it won't hurt you (aka find a hand position that works for you. I was taught "correct" position growing up and it h u r t s for me)
 there are also grips you can get!
 if I hold a pen the "correct" way (how I hold my pens in videos is different from how I do normally a lot of the time, because it just looks weird xD ) my joints hyperextend and I get hand cramps after a while xD
 I can also hold brushes just fine tho! I think I overall have a looser grip on them? but not sure. 

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 05:17:05 AM »
I watched a few videos of junk journals last night. It looks so fun! :D I did buy some digital elements for my forest journal since they were on sale. I haven't printed anything or gotten started yet.

Thanks Shai :hug: Maybe I should take some time to "relearn" how to hold a pen. I notice I grip it very close to the tip. Curious, I looked at how I hold a paintbrush and it's farther back on the handle, even when doing small details.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline thesugarpuppie

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • formerly Gothic Sugar
    • View Profile
    • My sites
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 08:00:23 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone makes them? Or even keep a real journal but spruce it up with stickers and labels and ephemera. I guess it's like scrapbooking but more random?

All my life I've tried to keep a journal and always fail, I think because it's too personal. A junk journal just for aesthetics would be easier for me to get into. I don't really need a new hobby but I'm thinking this is something I can do in my downtime.

Yes, to both actually.
Sometimes I just sit and make little booklets when I'm in the mood. I also kept/keep journals and one i had last year which was a little composition book was heavily altered and decorated. I really enjoy doing that. As for the handmade one, I pretty much just sew them together and go from there.
Instagram
Twitter
Ko-fi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal