collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: guinea pigs and poops etiquette.  (Read 2134 times)

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
guinea pigs and poops etiquette.
« on: March 13, 2013, 03:10:59 AM »
okay, most piggies I've had over the years have a kind of poop etiquette, where they poop in a certain part of the cage and not others. sure they'll be a slip up occasionally but. Not a major one.

And I've had this new one for the past 3 weeks and well, he has no manners what so ever!  :lol:

He poops EVERYWHERE. on the ramp, on the spaces and in the food bowl and anywher his butt will fit. My other piggies have never done this. So. Any suggestions, I know they're smart,  really smart and I'm trying to find ways to connect with him to teach him 'YES! GOOD BOY' and 'no, that's not so good D:', i'm hoping the older pig Baloo (aka Tom) would have taught him but he only really asserts his authority when there's food. He'll shove the other one out of the way, have his fill and then  Custard will have his share.

Which is why I suspect he wees/poops on it, because then Baloo won't eat it. Any ideas? What do mama pigs do to tell their bubba's no?  I know shouting won't have any effect, booping noses is for dogs. so. I'm outta ideas xD

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: guinea pigs and poops etiquette.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:09:30 AM »
This is not my area of expertise so I will defer to others' advice ... though I must admit the title of this thread made me expect something different.  XD

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline duckie

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:41:48 AM »
the boar i have now was my first, i have only ever had sows before him. and i've found that he is the only one of all my pigs who poops everywhere instead of mostly just in a corner. i think some pigs just have better manners than others :)
i would suggest that as you've only had him three weeks, give him a bit more time to settle in. i found that all my pigs were a little "scatty" at first, but once the cage began to smell of them (even after you've cleaned them out, the smell will stick after a while) they would choose a favourite spot and pretty much stick to it.
i doubt that he deliberately poops in food to stop the other from eating, my boy poops in his water bowl all the time haha and he loves his girlfriend. i know that pigs are clever, but i've never seen or managed to train one to the point where they respond to voice commands. food/fridge or cupboard noises, yes, and if i make a certain noise to mine they will come over to say hi, but i think trying to force him to only use certain places might be fighting a losing battle!
a little tray may work, but again i think that would just be chance. worth a try though :)

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:24:42 AM »
This is not my area of expertise so I will defer to others' advice ... though I must admit the title of this thread made me expect something different.  XD

It was suppose to be a bit tongue and cheek lol!  I'm curious as to what you were expecting though!

Post Merge: March 13, 2013, 05:29:58 AM

the boar i have now was my first, i have only ever had sows before him. and i've found that he is the only one of all my pigs who poops everywhere instead of mostly just in a corner. i think some pigs just have better manners than others :)
i would suggest that as you've only had him three weeks, give him a bit more time to settle in. i found that all my pigs were a little "scatty" at first, but once the cage began to smell of them (even after you've cleaned them out, the smell will stick after a while) they would choose a favourite spot and pretty much stick to it.
i doubt that he deliberately poops in food to stop the other from eating, my boy poops in his water bowl all the time haha and he loves his girlfriend. i know that pigs are clever, but i've never seen or managed to train one to the point where they respond to voice commands. food/fridge or cupboard noises, yes, and if i make a certain noise to mine they will come over to say hi, but i think trying to force him to only use certain places might be fighting a losing battle!
a little tray may work, but again i think that would just be chance. worth a try though :)

well. me also! I've only ever had girls, and they all toilet trained themselves, we had a leveled cage and they lived on top, and I said to her 'Why is your level always clean?' and as I had my hand in the middle level, she came over on the top and wee'd through the hole all over my arm. So, that's how I found how how her level was so clean, and I guess her room mates approved of a clean place and they just coppied her xD

But I guess your right, maybe it is too soon to be worrying (Plus i've had to put them on boarding since two days ago also orz). I've also noticed, that, the new comer (Custard) will squeal his ears off for food (his little ears flap ermehgerd), while Baloo sits in the corner all sullen. But as soon as the foods arrived he's pushing him out of the way and chowing down after poor little custard, has done all the hard work xDD
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:29:58 AM by bagheera86 »

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 06:33:42 AM »
I have nothing helpful to add, but... AwWw, Custard squealing his ears off for food. :biggrin: cuuuute.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline duckie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 06:47:20 AM »
I've also noticed, that, the new comer (Custard) will squeal his ears off for food (his little ears flap ermehgerd), while Baloo sits in the corner all sullen. But as soon as the foods arrived he's pushing him out of the way and chowing down after poor little custard, has done all the hard work xDD

i wouldn't worry about that, boars will have more of a hierachy than girls so a bit of pushing and shoving is nothing to worry about. and i guess he's just sitting there feeling smug because he knows he doesn't need to squeak for food! haha :)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
Piggies can respond to voice commands when being taught tricks. Teaching them where to poo is really a lost cause usually though. Some are neat while others just don't care at all. They go where they choose. The ones who have a tendency to be neat can be "litter trained" but the others, not so much. Your boy seems to be one of the "others".

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 10:26:37 AM »
Usually there will be atleast one area thats clean though, no? Pets in general usually like to keep their nesting or sleeping area clean?

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Scooterbec122

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »
I have had 2 female guinea pigs for a year now. They are shy so they tend to go in houses where they can hide and in corners.  Sometimes they just go where ever. I have found that they like soda can boxes/ Kleenex boxes and other cardboard boxes and will choose to go in those if available. I didn't have any luck with a litterbox

Post Merge: March 13, 2013, 11:08:40 AM

The brown one (maya) likes to bring her bowl inside to eat her food. I have 2 food bowls. Maybe putting the food bowl inside of an iglooo would help. not sure. I havent had a problem with food. My piggies love their food! Good Luck!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:10:34 AM by Scooterbec122 »

Offline kayveryn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 12:28:02 PM »
I noticed much the same when I had mice... I think it's a guy thing...lol

kayveryn

Offline Dludnerad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 04:08:09 AM »
I have a little shelti girl named Jetta (yes, after the Jem charater. They share a similar hairstyle) and she has very dirty habits. I have to bath her every two weeks because she really doesn't care where she goes.
Her long hair has to be trimmed very short at the back or it gets food and poop tangled in it within days. Messy messy piggy!

She's very cute though :)

odd little thing. Absolutely refuses to drink water. Have to make sure she always has lettuce, carrots and grass in her cage.

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 04:17:22 AM »
I have a little shelti girl named Jetta (yes, after the Jem charater. They share a similar hairstyle) and she has very dirty habits. I have to bath her every two weeks because she really doesn't care where she goes.
Her long hair has to be trimmed very short at the back or it gets food and poop tangled in it within days. Messy messy piggy!

She's very cute though :)

odd little thing. Absolutely refuses to drink water. Have to make sure she always has lettuce, carrots and grass in her cage.

maybe she doesn't know how? Mine go through phrases of that. or it's not fresh enough. sometimes algae grows in there before I can catch it and then go 'wow, no wonder they ain't drinking! bah! Maybe wash the lettuce and leave the water on it?

Post Merge: March 14, 2013, 04:18:12 AM

B'aaw thanks for all your words guys, I feel better that it's not my doing but just them being poopy meanies. They must love having me run after them! haha :D Also, more piggie pictures!

Post Merge: March 14, 2013, 04:20:44 AM

Here's a pic his current carer took yesterday, she's spoiling them so much I don't think they'll want to come home!  :lol: I kid, she's doing marvellous ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:20:45 AM by bagheera86 »

Offline duckie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 05:21:07 AM »
Absolutely refuses to drink water. Have to make sure she always has lettuce, carrots and grass in her cage.

my boy used to struggle with a water bottle, he'd chew it instead of pushing the ball with his tongue. have you tried switching it between a bottle and a bowl?
seems like we all have very special piggies :) who would have thought such small animals could be so finickity!

Offline bagheera86

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 06:41:24 AM »
Absolutely refuses to drink water. Have to make sure she always has lettuce, carrots and grass in her cage.

my boy used to struggle with a water bottle, he'd chew it instead of pushing the ball with his tongue. have you tried switching it between a bottle and a bowl?
seems like we all have very special piggies :) who would have thought such small animals could be so finickity!

Because they know they can get away with it xDD

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 06:55:44 AM »
My bunny does that with his water bottle too (but we can't give him a dish b/c he makes such a mess - tips it, bathrooms in it, drops paper and stuff in it... he soon has undrinkable water). Countless times you can here us say "lick it - don't bite it! you don't drink by biting!" :rolleyes: :P

But one of our other buns is so used to using a dish, when we try to switch him to a bottle he just doesn't drink at all. So he gets a dish.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal