Pony Talk > Pony Corral

~Out Now and Coming Soon ~

<< < (239/255) > >>

Taffeta:
I used to see kids in the pony section of toy stores, and also kids walking around with pony design clothing, or build a bear plushes, or the ponies themselves.

I have not seen that for G5, once.

I think variety would help.

I do see kids in other aisles and with other toys. Just not ponies.

Leave a Whisper:

--- Quote from: Taffeta on February 16, 2024, 11:53:03 AM ---I used to see kids in the pony section of toy stores, and also kids walking around with pony design clothing, or build a bear plushes, or the ponies themselves.

--- End quote ---

MLP is boring because Hasbro is boring.

sd_dreamcrystal:

--- Quote from: Taffeta on February 16, 2024, 11:53:03 AM ---I used to see kids in the pony section of toy stores, and also kids walking around with pony design clothing, or build a bear plushes, or the ponies themselves.

--- End quote ---
My Walmart doesn't even have a pony section any more :( I have yet to check the other Walmart(s) or Target

lovesbabysquirmy:
G1 MLP was a major success because at the time, there was pretty much nothing else like it. 

Animal care + fashion doll hair play + a touch of fantasy + virtually unlimited possibilities of collecting

After a decade though, there were enough ponies in every family's toybox to fill it up,   unlike action figures, which tended to have the Core Characters and then relied on playsets.  Plus if we are talking GI Joe, there were several refreshes on the Core because who didn't use firecrackers or bury them or fire them out of Nerf guns, LOL  then you needed another one!  My friends and I unintentionally wrecked a number of Joes and a few Ninja Turtles...

G2 was just too radically different in style than G1 plus it had no accompanying TV show. 

G3 was amazing in its first 5 years, because it had been so long since ponies were on shelves, plus they really went overboard on the variety and gimmicks.  There was so much stuff that TRU had an entire section devoted to it and it was easier to find than the "pink Barbie aisle".  Also I don't think there were too many competing lines of Fantasy Animal Care Fashion Dolls yet.  LPS had a comeback but it wasn't as huge as MLP. 

G4 had a wonderful start - a TV show produced by big names in animation, a large assortment of characters, and fans who were ready to collect MORE after G3 slowly fizzled out with Mane 6 re-releases.  Unfortunately, they decided to 1) repeat their Core Character re-release mistakes, and 2) listen to the very vocal fanbase who wanted MLP to be more adult-oriented so that they felt comfortable filling their shelves and bedrooms with it.  Nothing will destroy a kids toyline faster than "unsafe for work" Google search results! 

Somewhere between G4 and G5, technology for children exploded onto the market.  What toddler DOESN'T own at least 3 things made by Vtech? 

Plus now there are too many Animal Character shows right now for kids to have MLP claim its market share.  Paw Patrol and its Cats Crew.  Miraculous, almost all the "heroes" are animal-themed.  all the blind box toys and plushies like Squishmallows... even Disney has come back into the spotlight with Doorables, ILY, Tsum Tsums, the little backpack toys, Animator dolls and now American Girl Disney Princesses. 

and if you prefer Fashion Dolls, we have Barbie, Monster High, LOL, Rainbow High, NaNaNa...  it's going to be hard to shock the toy market with something unique and different because everyone is throwing all their ideas out there.

Leave a Whisper:
I can safely say I've never blown up my toys.  ^^;
There have always been animal character shows and toys

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version