collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Brian Froud Fairy - Glam shots  (Read 2837 times)

Offline PoniesYeah

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tamisery
Brian Froud Fairy - Glam shots
« on: November 06, 2013, 02:32:18 AM »
The subject this time. Brian Froud.
Im gonna come out and say it. Sculpting bug legs... not going to be the highlight of my evening. This mean i'll be looking at some skin crawling reference. Well Beetles shouldn't be too bad.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hi guys,
I really wish I had more to show for this update.
So here let me spend more time explaining my excuse. Ya see... about three weeks back we took our toddler to a jumping castle place. I'm sure you've seen them springing up (HA! Springing.) in malls and strip malls all over the place.
The little jumpin bean loves em. never mind that he gets bowled over by larger kids almost constantly. It's a mess, but it's funny.  So, because kids are petri dishes he got sick. For him it was just a cold. Hardly slowed him down. Then I got sick and it became bronchitis. two and half weeks of gagging, chocking coughs. When I finally did go to the doctor they loaded me up with five medications. And ordered me back on my old childhood friend the inhaler.
My husband saw me take a puff and called me a dweeb. Then yelled at me "Your stuck with me for the rest of your life" and ran away.
They did give me some kind of miraculous cough syrup that not only tasted good... like the bubble gum flavored old days ya'll! But knocked my assets out something fierce! The coughing had kept me from sleep for the last two weeks and I made a big point how much I wanted to sleep again. They wrote the prescription for this stuff and every nurse and doctor stressed how I wasn't to drive for at lease eight hours after.
They
were
not
kidding.
I took a dose and about fifteen / twenty minutes later I could feel it creeping up ever so slightly. Then suddenly It'd feel like my head and shoulders were slammed down to my desk. As though some morbidly obese god of sleep took a flying leap onto my back.  Just ask Diana here on the arena. I was chatting with her one night when the sleep inducing effects came on and my typing went to the dumps. Basically my fingers were slurring.
I had to get my husband to walk me down the stairs to our room. Then nothing. All was black till morning. It was G D great!

I'm cool now but that doesn't account for the total time laps between posts.
What took up the last hand full of days?...
Let me tell ya. And I probably don't have to. I'm sure most go through this. But, nothing will make you clean your entire house harder or faster then an impending visit from your mother. Especially if she's flying in from another state and hasn't seem you in two or three years.
Really we were cleaning and fixing up the apartment side of our home, where she's currently stored for the duration of her stay.
Ah luvs mah Ma!

In other news! I'm very excited to say that after years of wanting, I finally launched myself a portfolio site and blog!
Tap the banner below and take a look. And please please leave some messages. Just for my excitement of getting messages!
Now I won't lie... If your familiar with my work from DA or even Etsy you'r not gonna see anything too new in the illustration section.
And the Blog has only two posts. But please read the first one. I tried my best to explain what you can expect and hope you'll be enticed to follow.
Also please have patience. I am new to this so you can expect things to shift and change. Both these site will always be works in progress.

Thank you and goodnight.

One wing done-ish. I still gotta finish up the back side of it. I've never done a fairy wing before. Well I did do a moth wing once and who we kidding it's basically the same thing. I'll have to dig out pics of that custom some time.
But for now head on over to the blog for more pics and a pro-tip I think many of you will get great use out of. I sure do!
Link is in the sig.

First I have a huge apology to make to assassin. I'm sorry this is taking so long. But unfortunately it seems that the Froud fairy will be my last commissioned custom. Life is starting to move in a new direction for me. Both in a great way and heart breaking way.
My mother came to stay with us during the months of November and December. It was great that she was here with us for Thanksgiving, her grandson's 2nd birthday and Christmas. But in that time we witnessed just how poor her health had deteriorated. She had two strokes in her time with us. Because of that there is an unspoken and mutual fear of her care. So rather then she spend the rest of her life in her assisted living home, she'll be be moving in with us in April. This mean we have to get the apartment side of our house up and running for long term living. It's fine as it is for a short visit but on for someone to live in for the next several years...there's a little more than wall painting needed.
On the good side I've started to effectively build myself more of a web presence. you know career building stuff. And results are happening. In 2015 my "Rampant Rainbow" piece will be published in a collected art book "From rain to rainbows" from Chronicle books. And I'm currently making a piece for the upcoming gallery show "Moon crisis 2014" A Sailor Moon themed show. You can see Progress pics of my contribution on my Blog and facebook pages. Links in the banner below.
This is also contributing to the delay on this pony. Oh yeah I also joined the instagram army. Further updates on the piece are there. @tamiserystreet

Moving on, Pony update. I ended up having to move the wing holes further up the body. So now I have some patching to so. No worries tho. Once painted the old holes wont be noticeable. Once the more open wing is dry I will sculpt it to the body. then I'll move back to the tail. and finally the hair.

She's now wearing her wings and tail. The tail is sculpted in place while the wings are removable. For the easy of painting rather then designed break-points. I'll do a little more "moth" mane around the wings.
I guess then I can move on to hair. Which I think will be the hardest part. I've been trying to do the ear-tucked bangs since the very start and have failed every time.

Sculpting is finito! I do still have to make the flowers, tho.... So technically I guess sculpting isn't done just yet.
I'll be making the little pink / white flowers in polymer. To take advantage of an already color tintd clay. Rather than try to paint such tiny things evenly.
The wings are removable for ease of painting and air brushing down the back. Which has already been done. You can see a bit down the tock. This was my first time airbrushing a pony. I was terrified, but thrilled to find it mercifully easy.
What else did I need to say here?...
I had something else...
Ah! yes, remember my mentioning "Moon Crisis 2014" a couple posts back. Just scroll up a bit.
I finished my piece. I'd love it if you guys took a look. Click the banner then stroll on into the illustrations section.
Progress shots of it can be seen in my Instagram gallery. Search: tamiserystreet

PONAH TIME.

What is up mother lovers!
I'm thankful to say that the Froud Fairy is complete! And I couldn't be happier. Things are getting tight around here. Time wise.
Right after finishing the piece for the Moon Crisis show coming up, I got accepted into another group gallery show. With a much tighter deadline.
So projects be needing to get wrapped up. It's buckle down time is lurking over my shoulder.
And a big thanks goes out to Assassin K for her bottomless well of patience. However I'm gonna ask her to draw on it a little more. I'd like to keep her till Thursday at least. Give her varnish ample time to cure and myself one baby-free day (Thursdays, the tot goes to Nana's) to do a proper photo shoot.

Well here it is, the final post in this thread!
The final glam shots are posted. Just click the banner in the sig and go to the blog. There you'll find the biggest photos showing the most detail.
Thanks for taking this trip with me. Man, I feel like I should have closing credits theme song.

P.S. Up next on the blog: A step by step of how her wings were painted.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: WIP thread for Assassin Kitty -
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 03:06:47 AM »
Looks like a fun challenge!

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 03:10:40 AM »
Looks like it'll be awesome. I love Brian Froud!
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 03:15:52 AM »
I can't wait to see how this turns out, I love his art, I just recently acquired one of my most treasured books about fairies written and illustrated by him :)

Offline Morosan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://morosan2007.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 03:37:06 AM »
this is gonna be very intersting. :) Good luck. :D

Thank you Amenoo for my beautiful  avi.

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 04:33:34 AM »
Oooooh!  This one's going to be raaaaad!  Can't wait to start stalking this thread! 

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline mermaid_splash

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+167)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 06:31:23 AM »
Another thread to stalk, yay!

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 10:26:59 AM »
Woot was hoping you'd be starting up another WIP! Can't wait to watch her progress!

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »
Totally LOVE your WIP threads, and this ones super exciting too!!
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 12:56:10 PM »
Can't wait to see it done!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Pickenprod

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 05:55:40 PM »
Aw it's gonna be so beautiful! I love the way you drew up your concept.

And I even love the idea of WIP threads. I love seeing things come together! Especially from humble bait beginnings.

Offline PoniesYeah

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tamisery
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 01:32:53 AM »
Aw it's gonna be so beautiful! I love the way you drew up your concept.

And I even love the idea of WIP threads. I love seeing things come together! Especially from humble bait beginnings.

The WIP thread for me is more of patience tool.
Not for myself but for my client.
Because I am so SO slow I feel something is needed to show them that I their money is going onto something.
I know if I had put down a large payment and then didn't see or hear anything for week (months in my case) I'd be a ball of rage.
But with a WIP thread they can see the progress and know things are happening.

Also I hope some watching the thread are learning little things along it's progression.

Offline WaePonies

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 03:09:09 AM »
<3 ooh I cant wait to see this done <3
xoxo

Offline assassin_kitty

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 03:10:52 AM »
Haha I'm sorry I made you look at bugs for references!!

I love the concept sketch, it's so exciting to see a piece by one of my favourite artists be transformed into another amazing piece of art by one of my other favourite artists!

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 10:09:19 PM »
Also I hope some watching the thread are learning little things along it's progression.

This, this and more this.

It's like being a dry sponge, coming into your WIP threads.

SOAK UP THE TIPS, DAMNIT!

*soaks*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal