collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Spring Song's ribbon...  (Read 418 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Spring Song's ribbon...
« on: December 15, 2016, 09:33:55 AM »
So I got a MOC Spring Song recently. Here in the UK she came in a box, my sister had her from new and her ribbon was definitely yellow. That agrees with the Wiki, which says yellow ribbon and shows the boxed version with a yellow ribbon.

The MOC US version I have, and the one pictured on the Wiki has a peach ribbon.

But the wiki still says yellow.

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Spring_Song

Did the US one come with either/or or is the wiki just incomplete?

I haven't decided whether to keep the MOC pony at the moment since she's US carded and not boxed, but I was curious because the ribbon looked odd.

She is firmly sealed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Song's ribbon...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 10:02:53 AM »
Mine is loose but that was one set that I never removed the ribbons from; so, I can say with certainty that my Spring Song came with a yellow ribbon (the loose picture in the wiki is actually one I donated of my girl).  So, it looks like the US must have gotten both colors.  I wonder if one color was more common than the other though.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 04:51:33 PM »
My sister and I did similarly for a long time with our two childhood SHS, but in the UK it's really easy - we had four ponies, and they all had flower brushes, lace ribbons and earrings that matched. I've got MIP images for all four of them MIB to confirm that, but as the US Spring Song release has a butterfly and not a flower brush, I was prepared for variations.

Do you remember for sure if yours came on a card or in a box?

I have some MIP images someone sent me of their ponies a while back and going through them now to look at what needs to go on my website, I realised she also has a carded Spring Song with the peach ribbon (which from the card looks like it ought to belong to Frilly Flower?) So I wonder if Hasbro ran out of yellow and just substituted a whole batch...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 05:15:07 PM »
I still have the backcard and you can see where the bubble was ripped off so definitely just a card and not a box.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »
The backcard illustration shows a yellow ribbon, so if there's misinformation, that is probably the source of it.  I don't have her MOC myself, but I will keep an eye out for her on eBay.  :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 06:49:59 PM »
The backcard illustration shows a yellow ribbon, so if there's misinformation, that is probably the source of it.  I don't have her MOC myself, but I will keep an eye out for her on eBay.  :)

Yes, it does. Because of that and the UK /European release, I think that's probably meant to be correct and that's why I wanted to make sure Breyer600's one was a US release, because that also implies she should have yellow.

But clearly didn't always.

Maybe it's like Princess Amethyst over here. She's meant to have a pink damsel hat, but she usually has the one that goes to Sapphire instead. Only a few childhood collectors actually have reported having the pink hat, whereas all the MIB images of her have the purple.

Thus far Spring Song seems to be in a similar position. Which makes me wonder how often that yellow ribbon comes up in US sales/trades?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline summerday

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Thanks Brightberry for my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 07:05:13 PM »
Thus far Spring Song seems to be in a similar position. Which makes me wonder how often that yellow ribbon comes up in US sales/trades?

I don't see it that often. It took me a coupl of years to finally acquire one.

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 08:06:14 PM »
A friend bought a card one this summer with a purple ribbon!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 10:37:28 PM »
A friend bought a card one this summer with a purple ribbon!

Oh dear...sounds like a bigger quality control issue than I thought O.o.

I never totally understood what was going on with Frilly Flower and Fancy Flower (and I get them mixed up and think I might have done above, actually) because they didn't seem to follow the rules of the other four. Because we didn't have them here they always look kind of like afterthoughts. I don't have a loose ribbon for whichever one it is that has the peachy ribbon, but looking at the one on the card with Spring Song I'm sure it must be the ribbon designated for that pony. Maybe rather than Frilly Flower and Fancy Flower being afterthoughts, it was more a case that Hasbro weren't going for such a firm matching theme and really didn't mind what colour ribbons each pony had.

Edit to add:
Apparently I was wrong about the UK release of Spring Song and the type of brush. At least I always remembered Naynie's having a flower brush like my Wild Flower did, but looking at the picture of the MIB one (box language Italian) I've got to put on my site, she has a butterfly. So that might just be my mis-remembering.

Ribbon is clearly yellow though.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 11:39:17 PM »
My spring song has a yellow ribbon. It's original from childhood!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 02:12:14 PM »
The SHS mix-up I see most often is Flowerburst packaged with Dainty's purple ribbon instead of a pink one. The Sweetheart Sisters are so matchy-matchy that I can't help but see them as having the "wrong" bow, but I guess it's more kind to call it a variation, especially when it's so prevalent. ^^; I'd say a good third of the MOC Flowerbursts I've seen have the purple bow!

(My own pet theory is that Flowerburst is "supposed" to have a lavender-pink bow, but Hasbro cut corners and gave some Dainty's purple bow and some Frilly's pink bow and called it good. But that doesn't explain the anomalies with Spring Song.)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 01:27:43 AM »
It's just like the princesses here.

I haven't yet seen an error match on any of the boxed SHS we had in Europe but because we didn't have Frilly and Fancy Flower, I think they were dealing with simple colour matches. Ponies were essentially one colour, earring one colour, bow on the symbol, hairbow, brush matched that colour. Problem solved.

I have Flowerburst in Italian box and her ribbon exactly matches her earring. It's only a tiny image but I think that it's meant to be like this:

As I said before, I absolutely don't understand why Frilly and Fancy Flower are in the set, as they don't follow the rules of the others. I'm sure that if they were some kind of design afterthought, their ribbons would have gone into production later, and so it makes weird sense that they'd be the ribbons left over to go in the packages of other US release ones.

Europe had these in around 1990-1. I remember I had Starflash for Christmas 1990 and then bought Wild Flower with my Christmas money in the week after that - sister bought Spring Song at the same time. So the Glittering ones and the regular ones overlapped here, though the regular ones probably came into stores first. I think Starflash was quite new when I had her.

This thread is interesting and just shows the weird logic in accessorising ponies...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal