collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Exclusive revealed  (Read 15037 times)

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2019 Exclusive revealed
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2019, 09:42:10 AM »
I like this. If I was going to SDCC, I’d want to pick them up.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2019, 09:42:18 AM »
Why are her stars pink? It blends in with the rest of her.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:12:40 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2019, 09:48:14 AM »
IMO the stars are pink light purple because they are that way in RAMC.

Edit for star color . . . They are light, but I don't think they're pink.  Anyway, my main point is . . . she looks inspired by RaMC, where she also had a very pale body compared to "real" toy Twilight.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:52:24 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2019, 10:05:41 AM »
I don't think it has anything to do with RAMC. Aside the fact the pony proportions don't even vaguely resemble the RAMC animation (so why just do the symbol and not the rest?) She's pearly. And there's no way you'd look at RAMC and see "pearly ponies!".

But she did used to be drawn a lot with lighter stars than the pony I guess. Not really sure about that and the influence it might have had because as a kid I only saw her drawn, never in person. I think we'd need to see more G1-3 style ponies to see what is actually influencing them.

Pearly is more a G3 gimmick than a g1 one.

I also don't think it matters that it's Twilight in any sense except the name relationship. Even if she was originally the basis for G4 Twilight Sparkle, the G4 is much more like (and the name seems more related to) Twilight Twinkle, so I think we can see the selection as more random. It's not them trying to nod to the original TV show. It's just convenient because there's Twilight then and Twilight now.

There's not the remotest connection between Twilight Sparkle's personality, character and Twilight's - though I have no idea if Twilight Twinkle even has a personality, so I'm not trying to force that link in that sense. Just that the connection is entirely on the name and nothing else at all.

Though I guess they could have done Applejack, I suppose they wanted to do their Princess of Friendship...

I also don't personally see a relationship between the G1 more recent artwork and the G3ish style of the pony and G3 in general. Maybe that's my wishful thinking or art blindness - I dunno - but to me the G1 artwork is recogniseable as G1, and the pony is based on a G3 pose, with G3 features like the mane tinsel and the pearly, with an attempt to match the G1 colour scheme and species.

Then again growing up with the comics I got used to seeing G1 ponies drawn in a variety of ways. The more recent G1 images are much more like G1 ponies than some of the later comic ones were at times...o.o

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:09:41 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »

Edit for star color . . . They are light, but I don't think they're pink.  Anyway, my main point is . . . she looks inspired by RaMC, where she also had a very pale body compared to "real" toy Twilight.

Edited:
Yeah. I was a little confused when I got Twilight in a trade a couple years back. I was expecting her to be standard pale pink, like Lickety-split or Baby Surf Rider. She seems to lean more towards coral colored.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:11:28 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2019, 10:10:17 AM »

Yeah. I was a little confused when I got Twilight in a trade a couple years back. I was expecting her to be standard pale pink. She almost seems coral colored.

I have a paler pink one. My sister's is the darker pink one and they're quite distinctly different shades. That seems to be a batch thing with this pony.
Spoiler

Italian Twilight is also quite a pale pink I think. It may be the pink that fades though.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2019, 10:12:02 AM »
Oh so its a batch thing. Got it! Italy Twilight's cute.

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
There's not the remotest connection between Twilight Sparkle's personality, character and Twilight's - though I have no idea if Twilight Twinkle even has a personality, so I'm not trying to force that link in that sense. Just that the connection is entirely on the name and nothing else at all.

There is one thing: magic. In RaMC, Twilight is shown teleporting, and is the most prominent magic-user (as far as ponies go). Teleporting is one of Twilight Sparkle’s earliest, most frequent spells in FiM. Twilight Sparkle’s mother (Twilight Velvet) in FiM is also aesthetically based on G1 Twilight. Personality-wise, I agree that they don’t have much in common, but G1 Twilight did provide some lasting inspiration for Twilight Sparkle. :)
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2019, 10:24:34 AM »

There is one thing: magic. In RaMC, Twilight is shown teleporting, and is the most prominent magic-user (as far as ponies go). Teleporting is one of Twilight Sparkle’s earliest, most frequent spells in FiM. Twilight Sparkle’s mother (Twilight Velvet) in FiM is also aesthetically based on G1 Twilight. Personality-wise, I agree that they don’t have much in common, but G1 Twilight did provide some lasting inspiration for Twilight Sparkle. :)

Ah, you see, I grew up in a place where other ponies did teleporting things (ie Lightning). And Twilight basically lived shrouded in mist in the mountains and was very skilled and clever but quite shy and didn't come out much...

Winking in and out was a thing all the unicorns did in the animated series though, hence erm, the song, where have the unicorns gone - they've all winked out and ended up in Tambelon (I think?). So I still don't think that's really a connection. It seems to be something assumed to be done by unicorns in the G1 US canon, not specifically Twilight's ability alone.

Maybe you can argue that because it's the first one, that's why her - but still...it's kind of inconclusive.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2019, 10:25:39 AM »
G1 Twilight the unicorn is one of my favorite ponies. :lovey: I really like this set because it features a G1 inspired Twilight along with the modern Twilight Sparkle but I also agree with Taffeta that I think it's more of the "these ponies share the same name" than Twilight Sparkle being inspired by G1 Twilight.

I've seen some Hasbro art with Twilight shown with stars that were more redish pink than purple so that might be what Hasbro is basing the stars on. I just looked at my G1 Twilight charms and they have redish pink stars instead of purple also.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2019, 10:28:09 AM »
G1 Twilight the unicorn is one of my favorite ponies. :lovey: I really like this set because it features a G1 inspired Twilight along with the modern Twilight Sparkle but I also agree with Taffeta that I think it's more of the "these ponies share the same name" than Twilight Sparkle being inspired by G1 Twilight.

I've seen some Hasbro art with Twilight shown with stars that were more redish pink than purple so that might be what Hasbro is basing the stars on. I just looked at my G1 Twilight charms and they have redish pink stars instead of purple also.

Ponyfan

Twilight Charms?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2019, 10:38:34 AM »
Twilight Sparkle was originally conceived as a reboot of Twilight, back when the rest of the cast was Firefly, Posey, etc.   She was merged with Twilight Twinkle and had a name change (name addition?) somewhere along the way.

But Twilight Sparkle did literally have her origin with G1 Twilight. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2019, 10:41:45 AM »

Ah, you see, I grew up in a place where other ponies did teleporting things (ie Lightning). And Twilight basically lived shrouded in mist in the mountains and was very skilled and clever but quite shy and didn't come out much...

Winking in and out was a thing all the unicorns did in the animated series though, hence erm, the song, where have the unicorns gone - they've all winked out and ended up in Tambelon (I think?). So I still don't think that's really a connection. It seems to be something assumed to be done by unicorns in the G1 US canon, not specifically Twilight's ability alone.

Maybe you can argue that because it's the first one, that's why her - but still...it's kind of inconclusive.

That’s definitely true. I never meant to imply that Twilight was the ONLY teleporter—only that she was the first. Hasbro tends to put a lot of focus on RaMC ponies (Firefly, Applejack, etc.), since they were early on in the line and are still iconic, and also because RaMC was the first pony animation.

I do recall Lauren Faust saying that she wanted to use G1 characters for FiM, but that Hasbro pressured her to use G3. So she compromised and used modified G3 names and likenesses, but based the personalities of the mane six on her interpretations of Firefly, Applejack, Surprise, Twilight, Sparkler, and Posey. Specifically, she once said “I basically took Firefly’s brain and put it in Rainbow Dash’s body”. XD So it may be that Twilight Sparkle is based on Lauren’s own vision of G1 Twilight, more-so than her canon personality. But still, the two are strongly connected in that way, which I always thought was neat. :)

EDIT: LadyMoondancer beat me to it. XD
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:44:39 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2019, 10:44:31 AM »
I'm hoping the hair will be Basic Fun nice.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2019, 10:50:55 AM »
I've seen the concept stuff so I know there's that connection, but it's still just the name really by the time we get to FIM. There's nothing of actual Twilight left in Twilight Sparkle (which by the way I'm not knocking, it's better that way).

I am not American so I can't know to what extent RaMC was influential at the time, is influential now inside the fandom, and more importantly, outside the fandom/to Hasbro. But I should add that Surprise, Posey, Sparkler are in Catrina, not RaMC, so I think that's more Faust than RaMC as an influencing factor.

I feel like there's a lot of love for RaMC in the US especially - and there should be, it's one of the better animated projects - but not everything comes out of it or is necessarily inspired by it. Faust also remembered G1 as being about parties and stuff which RaMC couldn't be more different from. So I think it unlikely that the winking in and out thing and the choice of Twilight were linked specifically because of RaMC. I mean, Dash isn't really like Firefly, either. They both do daredevil flying but personalitywise they are still quite different. So there's a good element of Faust interpretation/memory/creative input there that's not related to the RaMC presentation either.

BUT like I said, I didn't grow up with RaMC being particularly important. I think someone said it was on Tv here once but I never saw it till much later and didn't know it existed till the mid 1990s. We also didn't have a lot of the ponies shown in it, so I may be underestimating it's cult importance overall in the US sense (which is what matters here as it's a US toy, and a US company).

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal