collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Exclusive revealed  (Read 15122 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2019 Exclusive revealed
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2019, 05:30:08 PM »
Great comparison shots Galactica. Is it just me, or does mcd Wysteria look a little miffed?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2019, 05:46:20 PM »
Wow, it's been so long that I almost forgot what having interest in the SDCC pony felt like. :P "1980s" Twilight looks like an adorable little G3 fakie, and I'm not even mad at it. If Hasbro used that style in G5, I'd be into it... for as long as it took to get all 5-10 characters. ;)

I think a lot of criticism could have been avoided if Hasbro had just labeled her "Retro" or something, instead of the explicit (yet strangely vague) "1980s". That way they could have halfway acknowledged the obvious G3 influences, and not made it seem like they don't know what they're talking about with their own property.

She's not scaled-down replica of the real 1984 version, but I'm pretty desperate to be excited about new MLP, so I can overlook a lot of the odd choices Hasbro made with this Twilight. ^^;

And the box looks so pretty and sparkly! It's interesting that they're using the same "vintage" logo style as on the Stranger Things AJ stickers, with the ligatured tt, open o, and switchback y. I guess that's what Hasbro is going with for their retro stuff now?

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2019, 06:13:16 PM »
I see what else is wrong with her head other than the eye.  The jaw line isn’t right.  At least that’s what it looks like from this angle.  It’s also disconcerting that her neck seam is so far up the neck.  I know that’s how they do G4 but that’s one of the reasons it looks off as a “G1”.

I’m not really complaining, just trying to figure out what it is that looks a little off.  Whether I get her or not really depends on how cheap she is.

I do really wish they had wrapped her mane around her neck.  I don’t understand why they can’t do that for a special item that is never going to be sold in stores.  I always assumed they did they hair like that to make it harder for people to steal the pony out of the package.  But if the pony is never going to be in an open display....?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2019, 06:18:59 PM »
I see what else is wrong with her head other than the eye.  The jaw line isn’t right.  At least that’s what it looks like from this angle.  It’s also disconcerting that her neck seam is so far up the neck.  I know that’s how they do G4 but that’s one of the reasons it looks off as a “G1”.

I’m not really complaining, just trying to figure out what it is that looks a little off.  Whether I get her or not really depends on how cheap she is.

I do really wish they had wrapped her mane around her neck.  I don’t understand why they can’t do that for a special item that is never going to be sold in stores.  I always assumed they did they hair like that to make it harder for people to steal the pony out of the package.  But if the pony is never going to be in an open display....?

Your right about the neck!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2019, 06:32:39 PM »
Uhhhh I love her!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2019, 07:22:08 PM »
How interesting!
I think this little figure is neat, and I do appreciate an effort but it seems kind of odd timing. Like however many people were clamoring for an actual 'g1 pony' for yeeeears and now that the popular StrangerThings and BasicFun are proving what Hasbro never believed (that people are clamoring for actual g1 pony) now Hasbro finally decides to dabble their toe back in.

And, in typical fashion, botch it up a bit.
No, this isn't a g1. Yes, it's cheaper because it's tiny and nobody bothered to sculpt the eye. Even the McDonald G3 had sculpted eye! MCDonald! That yellow clown did it, and Hasbro not. It's not terrible but you can't call it "literally a g1" because it isn't, and that (also typically) is what they're trying to do. I agree with labeling her "Retro Style" or whatever, because that's really what this is. Retro Style. And what gets me is that probably nobody would have minded. Especially at Comic Con, it wouldn't sell a single less or more unit if it didn't false-claim 'it is a literal g1 exactly like old'.

But, typically, a fan is the least likely to be fooled by pulling cheap wool down, and a fan is also the one that cares the most and is the biggest stickler for detail either deleted or added. A fan is the greatest friend of a product (talk it up everywhere/popularize) or it's greatest foe (complain everything/rant online) so doing right by them ought to be priority #1.  Like not having actual dark purple glitter stars or talking about where the neck seam is. THAT is the stuff of real fans. But...if a fan is who you're trying to rope in...it bears more thought than maybe it was given.

But a question or two since I also haven't cared about a release in so long (Pinkiepie in leg warmers exactly.......)
How 'exclusive' are these usually?
Will the average fan be able to get this, like an Arena member who can't attend?
What were their previous price points? / What cost can we expect this /guess this at?
Did they typically sell elsewhere after the con?

All I recall is that ridiculous high cost equestrian doll of what...Mane Iac? Or something who was in literally 1 episode but they acted like she was the new star of the show for like 6 months where blindbox had her henchmen, she was in target, power ponies are everywhere, plus exclusive set of FS ManeIac too. Yeah that single episode was comic themed but....gee whiz.  So this set is tiny, only 2 things and tiny in size as well. It ought to be less?

I want one!
It's nifty enough and novel enough that I've got to grab this set!
It's not exactly G1, but it's pony-like enough (unlike say 1st edition Firefly-Pig & book) where they had to literally steal fan photos to trick people into buying it. ) It's certainly more pony like than the G4.
Like others, I'd be SUPER HAPPY if G5 ends up being THIS. At least it looks like a pony! Not a ball with a smiley face drawn on it. Someone is making an effort to create a horse like fantasy object. They're not there yet....but I do hope this is a bit of test the waters.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2019, 08:05:01 PM »
Ooh! What an interesting exclusive to close out G4. I definitely want one. :D

Granted, the eye not being sculpted is a bummer. :( I feel like they made a pretty accurate recreation of the 80s cartoon/art though, despite using a  G3 mold. I think that’s what they were going for, more than 80s TOY accuracy. Since Basic Fun is doing retro ponies already, this is at least something more than a re-rerelease of BF’s Twilight.

Also... Twilight Sparkle WITH BANGS. =D Sad that it takes SDCC for them to add that detail again, but still! XD

I would dance with sheer joy if G5 looked something like the “retro” pony in this set. T_T
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:08:56 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2019, 08:49:00 PM »
I edited the Twilight:

I fixed her "bobblehead" head/neck, placed her eye up higher, and made her head smaller.

On the bottom row I traced the Twilight in case it's easier that way to compare it to the Retro/"Modern G1" art (which I'm convinced is the intention and not a G3).

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2019, 09:21:20 PM »
Great job, Ragamuffin!  That looks sooo much better!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2019, 09:27:56 PM »
I edited the Twilight:

I fixed her "bobblehead" head/neck, placed her eye up higher, and made her head smaller.

On the bottom row I traced the Twilight in case it's easier that way to compare it to the Retro/"Modern G1" art (which I'm convinced is the intention and not a G3).

Looks good.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2019, 10:46:20 PM »
I am in love! The first pony in ages I am really excited about!
Let G5 look like this, and Hasbro is back at getting my money!

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2019, 11:45:29 PM »
I like her a lot! I think it’s so cool and unique. I’m glad hasbro did this and created a new toy for the exclusive rather than just re-releasing a basic fun twilight repro, which I’m sure everyone here would have rolled their eyes at and the “why can’t we get something different?! Hasbroken is so lazy!” Remarks would be flying. It just proves that no matter what, people will be unhappy, and that’s fine! For every one unhappy person there’s another person who will gladly purchase this.

I’ll be scooping one of these up if I have the opportunity online!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2019, 12:28:44 AM »
I like the g3 twilight, tho I won't be getting them. The g4 twilight sparkle looks like you can also find her in a toy store tbh...
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2019, 12:37:29 AM »
What a funky G1-G3 hybrid! I need 100!!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2019, 02:45:09 AM »
It's a cute set, but the Twilight pose does seem a bit phoned in and like it's only intended for a one-time use. Which is a shame, because a line of tiny G1 style ponies would be a lot of fun, but also a bit superfluous right now as we have the Basic Fun ponies.

As for any possible G3 inspiration, I'm not sure. G3 was itself an attempt to reappropriate the G1 style, so it could be a coincidence that this new pose ends up feeling similar. As fans I think we obsess more over the small details than the actual designers do.

Personally I would have preferred to see G1 Twilight in G4 style, but that wasn't going to happen, as Hasbro clearly wants to keep the two separate. It just bothers me that this new G1 Twilight doesn't really go with anything, she has no friends to hang out with. Unless they decide to do more sets like this later. I guess I could see them doing Rainbow Dash/Firefly or Applejack/Applejack etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal