collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Will you ever be done with MLP collecting?  (Read 647 times)

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Will you ever be done with MLP collecting?
« on: June 26, 2022, 05:38:25 AM »
I've been collecting ponies for over 20 years now and started with G1. I then started to buy G3s when they were in the shops and never thought I'd bother with G2. However, I now have a large G2 collection as well. Then when G4 came out, I just had to get all those cute little ponies!

However, I have decided, having seen the G5 designs, to stop at G4 and focus on filling in all the gaps in my existing collection and appreciate and care for the ponies I've got, rather than keep on and on collecting.

At what point do you think you will stop? Will you ever? Are there certain gens you will never collect? Do you like G5 enough to continue collecting those or will you collect them purely for completeness? Will you continue if there's a G6, G7, G8...?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!  :)

Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Will you ever be done with MLP collecting?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 06:04:04 AM »
For me it's a bit different because I mainly collect orange ponies. I have a few that I want that are not orange, but they're mostly Nirvanas that I'll probably never be able to afford or justify the cost for. Same with the remaining oranges I need.

I do collect all gens and will continue with G5, but again it will mainly be Sunny, like most of my G4 collection is Applejack.

I think I might take breaks from ponies to focus on another collection, but it's been 12 years of collecting ponies for me and I haven't done that yet so who knows :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 06:58:18 AM »
It's hard to say... I collect G1-G4 (except G3.5... although I do want to get the mum ponies sometime) so there's still lots and lots of ponies I'm after. I'm not a completionist, I just get the ones I want... which is still a lot. :silly: So I guess I'll keep collecting until I've gotten all of the ones I like, unless I lose interest before then. I take breaks and focus on other collections too.

So far G5 doesn't particularly interest me. I've got a couple of little G5 figures (Egmont magazine, Phidal Tattle Tales book) but the actual Hasbro line hasn't grabbed me at all yet. So, so far I'm sitting this gen out for the most part. Maybe it'll pick up later and then I'll start collecting it, or maybe I'll just continue to stick with the previous gens, we'll see! It took me a long time to warm up to G4 too. If there's a G6, G7, etc I'm sure I'll at least be around to see them, even if I don't care for them. I'm in this for the long haul ;)

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 07:37:37 AM »
I was never much into collecting anyway, to me MLP was always about the cartoon.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 08:21:41 AM »
I collect all gens, but only what I like. For G1 and G3, well... that's basically everything. I used to be very anti-G2, but they've grown on me. Europe had so many fun ponies that the US didn't since G2 never took off here. G4 had SO. MUCH. released that it was kind of overwhelming for me, and I am much more selective in what I add to my collection. I only bought three of the regular-sized G4.5 ponies (Potion Nova, Gusty, and Fizzy) and the first set of magic ring blind boxes. And I didn't like G5 at first, but I liked the movie and think the toys are a lot cuter than what I thought they'd be.

I mostly prefer brushables because it's more in line with MLP's original purpose. And lately, I wait until things go on clearance in stores because we bought a house in February and have two growing kids. I'm turning 37 next month, and MLP has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. I do have more defined collection goals now, but it's not likely that I'll ever stop.

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 08:26:40 AM »
As long as there are new/ rare Ponies still to collect, I think no. Besides, acquiring all the Ponies, merch, even sticking with uniques, leads you into save up & wait for the nirvana sale territory. For example, there are a couple of unique Piggy Ponies I'd love to get, which will likely cost a fortune
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 09:15:05 AM »
I have a really small collection, mostly just my childhood herd at this point.  I don't have much interest in amassing them again, for the 4th time. 

yes I have collected a massive collection like 3 times and purged it all. 

I want to build them a crazy unique display and accessories with my 3d printing, I don't need to collect official stuff if it's pricey.
I want to get more involved in the fanart department, I like all that.  I have a binder of all the swap stuff I have been given!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 09:21:21 AM »
Eh, maybe. I would consider downsizing but staying involved with certain aspects like restoration and selling, customizing, etc.

I was very excited for G5 but the releases aren't super interesting to me right now, so I can see my attention getting pulled elsewhere as far as buying new toys goes.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 11:28:28 AM »
I could see myself being done at some point. I've scaled my collecting way back to focus on my health this past year or so. With a cancer diagnosis last year, I started to feel like my collection was more of a liability than anything; what if something happens to me and no one bothers to rehome my collection? It just really shook up my collecting mentality.

Also, it just seemed like prices and shipping went way up very suddenly a year or 2 ago. Paying for shipping is the bane of my existence, especially as my collection grew and it's getting to the point where I can't buy inexpensive lots of ponies anymore and still get several that I don't have. I can't afford to pay shipping on individual ponies off of Ebay, and there is really no local market for ponies here. So any collecting I've been doing lately is for another collection from which I can find things locally.

As for ponies, I'd prefer to focus on the customizing aspect more than acquisition. I have lots of ideas...just not a lot of time. If I ever see any G1s in the wild, I'll probably grab them, but I'm pretty much done with Ebay.

I have no interest in G5. I watched the movie with my kids, as well as the one episode that came out recently on Netflix, but the toys don't appeal to me one bit. For that matter, I'd really like to scale back or completely get rid of the G3s and G4s I have, as they really hold no nostalgia for me and I'm running out of space. I only have one G2, but I like him, so he stays for now.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 11:32:29 AM »
I have no interest in gen 5 at all and very few left to find in gen 4, mainly working on gen one , two and three.

Offline stjarne

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • my teemnsy pone....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 01:20:05 PM »
i have little to no interest in G4/G5 toys so i think i'm good on that front. same with G1's and G2's (except for maybe a handful of G1). G3/3.5's are my main crutch, and i don't know if i will ever be "done" collecting them! there's so much stuff- ponies, merch, plush, books, etc! i can see myself taking breaks at some point, but my collection will always be a source of pride/happiness for me. especially once i get around to sorting & organizing my display once i move.
✧・゚* jar ・゚*✧
they/she ◦ 22
G3 wishes | jars pony junction | my insta

:cloud:

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 03:12:04 PM »
I’ll probably never stop collecting or downsize my collection, but I have slowed down somewhat with buying due to space constraints. I also just haven’t been as interested in G4 or G5…..I love the style of the G5 toys however since they seem to be taking the main cast route only like they did with G4 I’m probably done collecting them unless unique characters start getting released.

I’ve been having more fun buying mini items and playhouses for pony photography, so that has been my focus for my collection as of late! :)

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline applejackbunny

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2022, 03:16:17 PM »
It's really interesting to hear so many varied answers.

stjarne, I'm so pleased to hear that your collecting/collection brings you so much joy! That's the whole point of it afterall. And LadyAmalthea, really sorry to hear about your health problems.

BlackCurtains I love that you focus on orange ponies - you've seen my avatar, right?  :lol:

It's sad to hear that cost is an issue for so many (for me too) and that, for whatever reason, eBay has become such a nightmare especially with shipping fees and customs charges etc.

Also interesting that most seem to have a pony "hiatus" at times. I do this too but it's not a conscious decision, I just kind of drift in and out of actively focusing on ponies.... It just seems to have a natural rhythm of its own  :lol:
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 05:14:49 PM »
Eventually. I only have so much space. And Hasbro just keeps moving further away from horses so...
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SilverLinedStars

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 05:38:30 PM »
I don't think I'll stop - but I did downsize considerably about five years ago. I had a family issue I needed extra funds for - and as much as it hurt - the collection had to go. I only held on to my childhood ponies. Though - I do love the Basic Fun ponies and some of the G1 merchandise I see here and there. I collect - just at a much slower pace and I did have a long hiatus at some point. MLP always brings me joy!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal