collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: couple quick questions about pony hair and heat  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: couple quick questions about pony hair and heat
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 08:43:26 PM »
I would guess the ends melted? Maybe look at them under a magnifying glass and see if that doesn't give you more information.  The tips probably dry out the fastest which makes them more prone to excess heat.  If frizzy they may already be more spread out too, which again will result in more heat hitting any individual strand.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 09:21:28 AM »
update... i used the iron on a few ponies but something strange happened that i've never had happen before - the tips of their hair became very coarse and hard after a couple passthroughs, so bad that i had to snip it off! thank goodness it was only the tips
what could have caused this? was it too hot? not enough conditioner? why only the tips?
Yup, the ends melted. Turn the heat down and go a bit quicker with your passes. If you take smaller strands it'll work better too.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 09:53:24 AM »
I've used heat to fix pony hair many times, mostly using a flat iron, and I've never had an issue with it. I make sure the hair is wet and covered in conditioner and use the lowest heat setting possible. I also never use heat unless I absolutely have to.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Loreofyore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 07:09:27 AM »
 :blush: Settings haven't provided any failsafe upon my irons. The longer the iron is on the hotter it gets and this is on the lowest setting, unless you let it cool awhile you may not make it through the herd before the lowest setting gets too hot. Fakie hair is usually of a lower quality and quicker to stick, so you can warm up by straightening the hair of some fakies you don't care about... I still do. Also ventilate, whether or not you smell the chemicals it's likely better not to breathe them... for wetting keep a spray bottle of water/cream rinse solution handy, also useful is a plate to allow the iron to cool back down upon. Keys are patience and quickness.

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 02:02:22 PM »
And keep the hair wet.  It MUST be wet and/or full of conditioner, otherwise it can burn and melt.   :cry:

I second this! Keep the hair wet and full of conditioner as you work.
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal