collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you only collect toy lines that you had growing up?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Do you only collect toy lines that you had growing up?
« on: January 06, 2016, 08:00:41 PM »
For the most part I only collect toys from the lines I had when I was young. I have made a few exceptions and they are mostly from Goodwill finds.

My exceptions are:
-Fluppy Dogs- found almost all of them on Goodwill trips and one at a antique store. I never had any growing up, but I loved the movie. I found so many that I decided to keep them!

-Wuzzles- found all the main characters on Goodwill trips except for Moosel who I am still missing. I even found one of the cousins(I think they were called that?-anyway the less common charcaters.) I remember watching the show, but never had any of the toys, unless Shrinky Dinks count ;) I also found so many that I decided to keep them.

-Little Pretties- I found a dog at Goodwill and searched and discovered the kitties!

So I'm curious as to what toy lines you collect that you didn't have growing up and how/why did you start collecting them?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:03:15 PM by Sukey »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Do you only collect toy lines that you had growing up?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:02:37 PM »
I just tend to collect toys that I find aesthetically pleasing. Sometimes I also have a nostalgic connection but other times I don't and I just discovered them through the Internet or on store shelves. Ironically MLP is something I came into as an adult since my main thing as a kid was Kenner LPS. Just one day I wandered into the toy aisle and decided I was going to collect modern LPS and then G3 MLP which caused me to find this place and the rest is history as they say.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 12:01:40 AM »
I have amassed quite the collection of Kenner Jurasic park and lost world  toys
I used to be  mad into dinosaurs as a kid and I can still remember going to Target an getting my first JP dinosaur the steggosarus!

there all in storage tho and im torn if i should move them on since I don't have any of them on display.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 06:29:57 PM »
No. I never had any TFs growing up, though I did play with my cousin's Optimus Prime.

Some of the toys I collect now are:
Transformers
Schleich
Safari Ltd.
Kid Connection
Mega Man toys
Amiibos
Skylanders
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline GazeboMouse

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 11:04:25 AM »
I've either added to my childhood toys (Cabbage Patch, MLP, Pound Puppies,) or re-collected what I had in childhood and added to them (Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears). I have a big collection of black fashion dolls, Barbie, Christie, Stephen etc, when I only had Sindy as a child, but I collect black dolls anyway, they were hard to find when I was a child.
I have owned a few toys I didn't have in childhood, such as a few Glo worms, Wuzzles, and there are 3 Popples upstairs, but I try and sell those on Ebay so I don't build up any more collections. Still a few odd 70s/80s toys I would love, but only certain ones, not entire collections.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 03:14:57 PM »
For the most part I stick to either toy lines I had as a kid or ones I really wanted as a kid. This excludes new, modern toys, though. I do collect Monster High, and I collect Skylanders a bit, though that's just for playing the game. I often don't understand people who see a vintage toy and say, "Well, guess I need to start collecting those now since I've seen a picture!" I mean, if you have no connection to the toy whatsoever why do you feel a need to collect it? Some of those people (I don't see them here; they're most often on Facebook) seem like they might just be hoarders...

That said, when I find things that I don't collect at a thrift store or yard sale, I may still pick them up. I have a bunch of Care Bears that I got because I thought someone might want to trade ponies for them (and then I decided that some of them were too cute to not keep). I was never really interested in Care Bears, even though I did have one when I was little.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 05:20:58 PM »
I often don't understand people who see a vintage toy and say, "Well, guess I need to start collecting those now since I've seen a picture!" I mean, if you have no connection to the toy whatsoever why do you feel a need to collect it?

The same reason I collect modern toys. Because I like how it looks. If it's aesthetically pleasing to me I want it.

That said there are some toys I had as a kid that I really don't want to collect. Things that were fun as a toy but kinda creepy looking. *coughfurbycough*
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 05:29:49 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Sukey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 06:14:14 PM »

That said there are some toys I had as a kid that I really don't want to collect. Things that were fun as a toy but kinda creepy looking. *coughfurbycough*

Yeah, there are toys that I had when I was little that I have no real interest in collecting- such as Cabbage Patch dolls.  For the most part not really interested in Barbies. Although, I do have a reissue of Barbie and the Rockers doll- I didn't have her growing up, but I thought the doll was cool and I remember the commercials. There is only one Barbie that I would like to get someday...

A Furrever Friends Site

*** Looking for a Glory tin- I have a Starshine tin for trade ***

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »
On occasion, I've bought some Matchbox or Hot Wheels, if I find something interesting that looks reasonably close to a production model. If I find any more, I may take home some more of my old Micro Machines playsets.  And the only Beanie Babies that I've gotten since I was little have been ponies.

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 09:23:14 AM »
No, I didn't actually collect MLPs until I was an adult :) But I also collect Game of Thrones and LotR action figures, which I didn't have growing up. I do remember seeing the LotR figures in a store when I was a kid and I wanted them, but I was too embarrassed to ask for them at the time.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:03:10 AM »

Yeah, there are toys that I had when I was little that I have no real interest in collecting- such as Cabbage Patch dolls.  For the most part not really interested in Barbies. Although, I do have a reissue of Barbie and the Rockers doll- I didn't have her growing up, but I thought the doll was cool and I remember the commercials. There is only one Barbie that I would like to get someday...
Oh yes, there are a lot of toys I had as a kid that I wouldn't even think of collecting now! I only have a few new Barbies (and my childhood Barbies are stored away somewhere) and I totally have no interest in collecting Hotwheels cars and stuff like that.

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:17:49 AM »
I started collecting only because I ever liked Fizzy and never had one! I absolutely adore the TEs, but now I collect nirvanas and wingers. I never had a cotton candy, but I collect her now. :)
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 04:54:00 AM »
Some of my toys are from lines I had toys from. Some of my toys are from lines I wish I'd had toys from. And some of my toys get started as a modern collection and then end up going more retro--that's actually what happened with me and My Little Pony. My parents were great parents and I had lots of lovely toys, but I'm sure most of us had toys we wanted but never got. There are some of those that I've gone out of my way to get, or that I have on my list of potential things to buy. I also follow a lot of toy channels and enjoy getting modern toys. I collect Hallmark Itty Bittys, for example, and I was just given my first three sets of Lego.

Most of my vintage toys are either Value Village / Goodwill finds, gifts from friends here, or items I buy alongside items for swaps. I hate paying S&H without a really, really good reason so I pick my vintage toy purchases with great care Between Itty Bittys, Lego (which I'll no doubt keep getting, even if I decide to stick to the Elves line--we'll see), Monster High, Ever After High, and Shopkins, modern toys keep me very busy.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 02:30:29 AM »
Oh I totally forgot! I started collecting these old moomin figures I had when I was small, they came out of cookie packages and candy boxes and are probably about 1" tall. So far only moomin mama has been found, they are kind of HTF.
I also have these ½" tall pokemon figures from the 90s that I enjoy. They have a key feature of a square slit in the bottom and are slightly rubbery, like they were supposed to sit on something. So far I think perhaps bandai produced them, I have had a hard time finding them.
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline Shadoweon

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 09:02:16 AM »
I have some toys left from when I was a kid such as micropets and snubbies but I really just get newer things. Just whatever I like really,for example I like the Crystal Surprise Babies that came out recently.

Pokemon is something I had when I was little and continue to collect today,but otherwise everything else is newer prettymuch.

Oh I totally forgot! I started collecting these old moomin figures I had when I was small, they came out of cookie packages and candy boxes and are probably about 1" tall. So far only moomin mama has been found, they are kind of HTF.
I also have these ½" tall pokemon figures from the 90s that I enjoy. They have a key feature of a square slit in the bottom and are slightly rubbery, like they were supposed to sit on something. So far I think perhaps bandai produced them, I have had a hard time finding them.

Would you mind showing a picture of one of the Pokemon figures? I could probably identify for them for you. There's quite a few different lines of PKMN figures, Tomy figures were the most common in the US during the 90's. You're not in the US though so they could be something else.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:06:17 AM by Shadoweon »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal