collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Aargh, ant invasion in my kitchen!!  (Read 526 times)

Offline daisyd

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Daisy's Crazy Crafts
Aargh, ant invasion in my kitchen!!
« on: March 30, 2015, 03:58:31 AM »
Anybody have any ideas how I can stop ants from literally taking over my entire kitchen?

I don't know where their entry point is - they seem to have a new one each year (this has been going on for a large amount of years now)  :| I do my best to keep the floors clean, but with a three year old who's not so fussed about cleaning up crumbs, there'll be a few that get missed, and I bet that's what is attracting the ants.

I'd love to just cover the floor with bait boxes, but I can't, again because of having a small child around.

Other than using my foot to squash them when they come wandering, how can I get my unwanted guests to leave me alone?
Thank you *wyvernchick* for my lovely avvie!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Aargh, ant invasion in my kitchen!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:57:58 AM »
Have you contacted an exterminator?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:48:47 AM »
I have sprayed dawn dish soap mixed with water around my floorboards (I have pets and a kid) when I see ants in my house. I read that somewhere online, and it worked, no more ants!

My ILs always have ants because my FIL does woodturning in the garage. I think they leave out cornstarch?

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:52:35 AM »
I would probably burn some sage in the kitchen, put orange peels in the garbage disposal, and spray vinegar in the corners and on the cabnet doors. Repelling them with herbal scents sometimes gets rid of the problem, but if this is severe you may have to call the bug guy =(

I havnt had an ant problem since I lived in indiana when I was like 8 years old LOL. The little ant house traps never seemed to work.

Offline jade_surprise

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Pegasu
    • View Profile
    • G3 Was Better
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 08:48:06 AM »
I would probably burn some sage in the kitchen, put orange peels in the garbage disposal, and spray vinegar in the corners and on the cabnet doors. Repelling them with herbal scents sometimes gets rid of the problem, but if this is severe you may have to call the bug guy =(

I havnt had an ant problem since I lived in indiana when I was like 8 years old LOL. The little ant house traps never seemed to work.

This has always really helped my family. If you try it, make sure you get any place they could squeeze themselves inside, not just little corners and stuff. Leaving fabric sheets in suspcious cabinets is also really really helpful for all sorts of unwanted pests.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:49:45 AM by jade_surprise »

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 10:45:19 AM »
ive got a similar problem but with ladybugs (well, the fake ladybugs), only its in the bedroom nd we have no idea how they got here since the window has been closed for months now o.o

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 02:20:25 PM »
You guys are going to laugh, but we don't have ants in our house because we have Buddycat.  If he finds ants, he eats them.  Day in and day out, he will follow an ant trail to wherever they're coming from and happily eat every one of them.  By April they're all gone. 

...Please tell me ants aren't poisonous.  I think he's eaten several colonies by now. 

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 03:11:17 PM »
Dethlac or Acclaim spray. Just spray it where they are coming in and it should finish them off. It has staying power, so it keeps them at bay for a while

I had ants marching in through/under the front door last year.

I also have a serious ladybird problem every October, which I use either of the mentioned products to put an end too.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline FullMoonFever

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Small Cream Coloured Kitten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »
if I could only spell the word I'd suggest it.  It's basically a ground up chalk that you spread around the ants and it dries them out, thus killing them.  Diatamatious earth.. I'm not sure on the first bit of the name. 

I remember having an ant problem in my toilet, yes my toilet.

Looking for Mountain Boys Thundercloud and Sunburst.  ANY condition at all wanted!

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 02:29:55 AM »
When i was little i totally remember our cabnets had an ant problem. They seriously colonized in my  boo berry cereal box! xD i was super super mad because i didnt even get any.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal