collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FBR Question and Rehair Glue  (Read 455 times)

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
FBR Question and Rehair Glue
« on: August 26, 2022, 03:34:46 PM »
1. What kind of spray primer do you full body repaint artists prefer to use on your ponies?

2. What glue do you use to keep needle-method rehair pony hair in? I normally do the knot method (no glue) but I won't be able to use that method for one of the projects I've got coming up. I was wondering if there were any good non-seepy glues to use for needle-method rehairing.

Thank you!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: FBR Question and Rehair Glue
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 07:28:32 PM »
I can't answer 1 because I don't use spray-anything, but for 2 I use clear tacky craft glue - I think the brand I have right now is Aleene's.  It is thick enough that it doesn't seep out the plug holes at all.  It does take awhile to dry.  I always set the head with the mane pointing down while it dries, and sometimes in front of a fan to hurry it along.  Best wishes for your rehairing success  ^.^
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 04:57:36 AM »
I've never used a primer for my FBR but I know some people do.

I second Aleene's Tacky Glue for the mane. It's what I use too :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline kaelynn

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 06:53:48 PM »
I’ve never used a primer either. I just make sure the pony is really squeaky clean before airbrushing and then seal with two coats of Testors Dullcote afterwards.

For my rehairs, I use E6000 glue. I squirt a bunch inside the head, spread it around with a popsicle stick and set it to dry in a well-ventilated place. It takes about a day to set completely but then the inside of the pony’s head is like rock and the hair is solid. I’ve never had any seeping either.

I did have a disaster the one time I tried using Elmers glue all because I was out of E6000. It seeped like crazy down into the mane and I couldn’t get it out no matter how many times I soaked and washed it. So whatever you do, don’t use that!!   :lol:

Commissions are OPEN!
Find me on Instagram @ kaelynn_design
KaeLynn Design on Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/KaeLynnDesign

Offline starbritesprinkles

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Lyrical Vault | she/her/hers
    • View Profile
    • StarbriteSprinkles
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 08:04:22 PM »
1. I don't prime. I use an airbrush with watered down acrylics that gets great coverage.

2. Fabri-Tac. It's like not-hot hot glue. Squirt a bunch into the head along the hairline and spread with a wooden craft stick. You'll know it's dry when it no longer smells like alcohol.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 07:19:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! I really appreciate the help!! This is new territory for me. Are these glues waterproof? I'm leaning towards fabritac right now.

And researching all this has brought another question to my mind. How do I know which rehairing needles to get? Are the different sizes for different kinds of dolls? I'm looking at rehairing a rainbow high doll and a hasbro disney princess doll right now.

1. I don't prime. I use an airbrush with watered down acrylics that gets great coverage.

2. Fabri-Tac. It's like not-hot hot glue. Squirt a bunch into the head along the hairline and spread with a wooden craft stick. You'll know it's dry when it no longer smells like alcohol.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 05:45:50 AM »
The description on these needles from DollPlanet might help - link

I only rehair ponies and I've never broken a needle so I've never needed to buy any. But check that description.

The Aleen's glue is not waterproof. It cleans up with warm water. I don't know about Fabri-Tac though.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline kaelynn

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • KaeLynn Design on Etsy
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2022, 09:25:44 AM »
BC - how on earth have you never broken a needle??  I break them often enough that I don't buy them premade any more.  I just buy a pack of smaller eyed darning needles, snip the eye on an angle myself, file the sharp points off and then I'm good to go.  But maybe I'm harder on my needles that you are?   :lol:

On that note, does anyone else use a pushpin to open up the hair holes a bit more before rooting the hair?  I find I break fewer needles that way and it doesn't take as much force to get the hair into the hole.  I'm beginning to think I root more hair per hole than most people though so maybe that's why I have a harder time! 

Oh and the E6000 glue is waterproof and slightly flexible after curing which I really like.  It's enough to make the stinkiness while curing worthwhile to me.

Commissions are OPEN!
Find me on Instagram @ kaelynn_design
KaeLynn Design on Etsy - https://www.etsy.com/shop/KaeLynnDesign

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2022, 09:40:30 AM »
I don't know? XD I do use a pushpin. I spray the hair with water and it separates into plugs and I use 3 or 4 per hole. But yeah, I've been using the same needle for like 12 years :lol: I have three extras from when I first ordered the tool and I did buy some darning needles when I first got into the hobby, but they remain unopened. Maybe I have a super needle :lol:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2022, 05:35:45 PM »
I rarely break needles when I rehair. :) I bought a set of rehairing needles on Amazon ages ago and just use those, with a pushpin to widen the holes before going in. I just kind of pick at random, you can probably experiment and go larger or smaller based on how easy/hard it is to get the hair in and if the hair plugs fall out when you remove the needle; they shouldn't. 

Fabri-tac does seem to be waterproof! :) According to a Google, at least. I've washed ponies with rehaired hair and haven't noticed any fallout from the glue itself.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 06:48:47 PM »

On that note, does anyone else use a pushpin to open up the hair holes a bit more before rooting the hair?  I find I break fewer needles that way and it doesn't take as much force to get the hair into the hole.  I'm beginning to think I root more hair per hole than most people though so maybe that's why I have a harder time! 

i use a T-pin for that but due to  stiffness in my hands of late I've also started to use a hot air gun to heat the pony making the plastic softer and more pliable for a short time to make the whole task lest resistive.

a hair dryer will also work for this.

as for glue  i've used a few types  previously was using PVA  wood glue

now im using an acetone based  quick drying clear glue  450 .

i've not used primers in the past but  I have found that the g4 ponies plastic dosn't assept paint as well as g3 and only ponies  so I would suggest using a primer on those.

either vagelos primers  or the citadel spray ones   but those can be costly.

giving the baits a good wipe over with pure acetone or 100% Iso Pro Alcohol  can help with paint adhesion on the base coat  as it changes the surface of the plastic  a little.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal