collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thinking of selling bait and customs  (Read 335 times)

Offline AllyKat

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
    • AllyKat Designs
Thinking of selling bait and customs
« on: July 22, 2022, 05:51:31 PM »
It's been a hot minute since I did any customs and I think I'm finally willing to say I'm done. In a recent move I found a box of bait G3s. How much do these girls sell for these days? I'd say there are about 20 of them, so would it be better to sell as a lot, or individually?

I also have a bunch of customs I bought, commissioned, or received in trades back in the day. I have no place for them, but I feel weird selling them. Would people want them back? I'd be fine sending them if they paid shipping. Does that seem fair? Or should I just put them up for sale if I can't find the original creators?

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Thinking of selling bait and customs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 04:26:15 AM »
I put true baits (rough and/or fully prepped) at $1 to $3 personally.  Depending on their shape.  You could start individually for cherry pickers and then shortly thereafter sell them as a batch of what is left.

I think offering the customs back to the creators is a very sweet and respectful idea.  It could be worth offering the creators "1st dibs" of sale customs (that can include paying the sales price as well if you prefer) to the creators before offering them to the public. 

Hope this helps, everyone probably has different opinions. No wrong answers :)

I'm sad to see a talented customizer retire but you gotta follow your muse. 

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 05:41:02 AM »
G3s sell good for bait, as far as I'm aware (it's been a while since I bought baits and things are so expensive now). I agree with CSA.

If you can get a hold of the creators, I don't think there is anything wrong with asking if they'd like it back :) If you can't find them all, it's okay to just sell them. They are still yours even if you need to rehome them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 03:40:26 AM »
I agree with the advice already given :)

Contacting the original creators is a lovely gesture but not compulsory by any means, the customs are yours now. As a creator I would only have a problem with resales if it was a swap custom and rehomed very soon after the swap (and even in that case there's nothing I could do about it, I just think it would be poor practice). After years though? No issue at all :)

Good luck with your sales!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 07:53:16 AM »
I agree with what the others said about rehoming customs. Creators may enjoy being offered to get them back.  I know I would, kind of out of curiosity about how well they held up over time. But I would also be fine with my customs being sold, especially to other collectors.

For your G3s, if you still them in here maybe sell individually but with a minimum number so it is worthwhile?  Or for ebay or something like that maybe break the 20 up into 2-3 pre-set lots and sell that way. I'm usually interested in getting about 3-10 baits at a time. 

For your baits, if they are unprepped and with haircuts or other damage I would say $1-2 each.  Unicorns maybe a little more?  If they are fully and well prepped or actually in pretty good shape (maybe not really baits?) maybe $3-4 each.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 08:00:23 AM by SunPony »
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal