collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: (x-post) Best way to give a doll a repaint?  (Read 424 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
(x-post) Best way to give a doll a repaint?
« on: November 13, 2013, 12:30:24 PM »
Ok I'm x-posting this from dollhouse since I've given it pretty much 3 days to see if there is any suggestion

Ok I wasn't sure if I should have asked this in customs or here.. but since I figured it was sort of doll related I might try here first.

I've been putting off working on a 'doll' from a toy set that I've been wanting to give her a new look (It's one of the Build a Bear Furfabulous friends) and while I have some paint on her already (trying to turn her from yellow to white) I'm running into the problem of the areas where she pivots having the paint come off...

I admit I wasn't using an airbrush to paint her but I figured if I can avoid the air brush right now till I can get to it then I'll do that...

There is another reason why I need to know this.. I'll be repainting two other dolls that have similar arm rotation as the build-a-bear 'doll' I'm working on.. the areas are not as tight as the BaB 'doll' though. Since this was doll related I thought maybe someone in Dollhouse could give me a suggestion, but a 3 day wait.. yeah need to ask here now XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

CarnationTwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: (x-post) Best way to give a doll a repaint?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 05:01:25 AM »
Points of articulation are just plain prone to paint wear.  If you can, pull it apart and paint the pieces separately, seal really well with dullcoat, and give it a couple days to make certain it's fully cured before reassembling.  Even then, it'll still rub quite easily if you move it frequently.

It may help to tell us what kind of material the doll you're painting is made of?

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: (x-post) Best way to give a doll a repaint?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:58:33 AM »
Points of articulation are just plain prone to paint wear.  If you can, pull it apart and paint the pieces separately, seal really well with dullcoat, and give it a couple days to make certain it's fully cured before reassembling.  Even then, it'll still rub quite easily if you move it frequently.

It may help to tell us what kind of material the doll you're painting is made of?
Well one of the 'dolls' is a build-a-bear that I posted in off topic a while back (http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,319960.0.html)

I'm not 100% sure what kind of plastic she is but I can tell you the head holds paint better than the body seems to... and really I saw no visible seams in the body so wasn't sure how I'd put her back together later... The other is two Cupcake dolls from the 80's that have a a harder plastic body and softer plastic head/arms (I was honestly able to take one fully apart... Never again!)

So I'm hitting a crossroads now XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal