collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What paint and sculpting material do you guys use?  (Read 191 times)

DemureGirl

• Trade Count: (0)
What paint and sculpting material do you guys use?
« on: January 23, 2013, 01:09:14 PM »
Hi there.

I have a gen1 MagicMirror who is in need of a little love so I have decided to customise her and make her into a pretty pony again:)

My question is, what do you guys use to paint your ponies? I won't be doing a full body paint job, just some TAF style decorations on her.

I also plan on adding some accessories to her if possible but all I have to work with is regular air drying clay. Is this suitable? If not, I will be content with just painting her :)

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What paint and sculpting material do you guys use?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »
You can use acrylic paints on ponies; oil based/enamel tend to Bork the plastic. LoveLauraLand uses spray paint, as apparently the formulas have changed to be useable without melting the plastic, but I'm forgetting what kind she said she uses.

Since Magic Mirror is one if the Magic Message ponies, if you plan on painting over her current cutie mark area, you'll need to remove whats there first. As the cuties can start bubbling when they get really bad. If you haven't removed it already, acetone should do the trick, but make sure you wear protective gloves so you don't get nerve damage.

Air-dry clay is very popular, depending on what you have in mind. I have tried das paper clay, It's ok. Apoxie sculpt is very popular. I don't know if any one has used the crayola type yet.

I hope this helps you. :D Good luck, and have fun!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:47:25 PM by Kazzellin »
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

DemureGirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »
Thank you, that's great :D

Most of her symbol was gone when I got her, so clearing off the rest will be really easy ^^
It's the das clay I use myself. I'm going to have fun with this

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »
Yes, acrylics are the type of paints you need. And for sculpting, I use Sculpy, but I don't tend to sculpt much.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:32:09 AM »
DAS doesn't work well with ponies in my opinion, it's pretty crumbly and I find it's very hard to get any detail work done with it. I would recommend trying some polymer clay to start with, they're usually available in small packages (at least Fimo and Cernit are) so you don't waste a lot of money if you don't like the stuff. You need to bake them, but baking ponies is pretty safe if you follow the instructions on the package, and the great thing with polymer clays (as opposed to self-hardening epoxy clays) is that you can continue working with for as long as you need.

Of course if it's only accessories you're doing, nothing attached to the pony, it sounds like a good idea to start with what you have at hand and are familiar with. Then if it doesn't work out, look for other options.

Best of luck with your poor MM, I'm sure you'll be able to turn her into something beautiful. ^^ 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal