collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: American Girl  (Read 44708 times)

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
Re: American Girl
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2017, 07:48:20 PM »
Sorry to show up suddenly and spew negativity, but I've been collecting AG dolls since the 80s, and I am SO MAD about the underwear thing! First, that underwear is so ugly. My dolls have always been happy to, uh, go commando. I will not be buying any of the new dolls with permanent underwear. Just no way. I'll just have to buy older dolls from a 3rd party (which is what I have always done, TBH, except for my very first doll, but I've always wanted to go into a store and buy a doll and have a little shopping spree with her). I honestly feel like AG has been going quickly downhill lately. Probably since they started retiring their best dolls. They're waaaay less about education and more about making sales now.

But I am thinking about going to a store and picking up the "new" Felicity. At least it seems that she won't be wearing stupid underwear.

Also, the new boy doll... so I'm weird. I want a butch lesbian AG doll. I'm thinking about getting him and pretending he's a girl. All of the other dolls have always been soooo girly. That pink underwear is just another step in the girliness of AG dolls.

Again, sorry for throwing up negativity in a thread I rarely visit... but I just had to rant a little.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2017, 08:50:39 PM »
No need to apologize for negativity here, ringwraith10! Its really not a shock to have people "come out of the woodwork", so to speak, over this and I don't mind at all. I'm pretty angry myself. I still can barely believe they're really doing all of this. Honestly, its just totally mind boggling. It doesn't even make sense; how could these stupid bodies even be cheaper?

Ugh... I'm so upset about Nanea. I really hope they reverse these awful changes before her release. She's everything I've ever wanted in an AG doll that Maryellen didn't cover. Her new mold takes everything I love about the Classic mold and just makes it better. Sweeter smile, big doe eyes, beautiful hair, lovely coloring, beyond adorable outfit... she's just perfect. Its kind of crushing to finally see good photos of her after all of this. I want her so badly but I'm not going to support AG at all in this. I'm just going to squirrel away whatever I can of Maryellen's collection off of Amazon and be done buying direct if they don't change. A secondhand Nanea, if the vinyl quality is good, might eventually happen though.

Felicity though... I don't think I'm even going to bother or care. I'd rather just buy secondhand. Its a relief that it seems they didn't decide redheads are gross and stick her in a brunette wig. I was pretty worried there for a while. But people were saying she doesn't even get a collection? No thanks. I don't really like her new meet dress anyways. But that saves me money, so yay I guess :/

Word from AG on new characters and underwear.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2017, 08:57:54 PM »
So is Josephina going to be phased out/retired soon? She's been my top want forever and I've never gotten her. I was thinking I would get her as a gift for myself when I finally graduate, but unless I can find a really nice secondhand doll I probably want to get a new(ish) one. Of course, this all depends on quality and underwear issues. :/

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2017, 09:51:25 PM »
I haven't heard any rumors about Josefina retiring; just a little speculation that AG might retire her if they come out with another Latina doll. Addy is pretty much guaranteed to go at this point and Samantha is another suspect. Rebecca has come up in talks but since she's getting new stuff soon I think she's safe for now.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2017, 10:10:51 PM »
*some positivity*  :)

Oh!  Nanea is so pretty.  And I could really use an Asian doll (as could the BeForever line.)  :)  Anyone know when is she being released?  I may just wait for her... 

I also like Felicity's new dress colors.

I haven't heard any rumors about Josefina retiring; just a little speculation that AG might retire her if they come out with another Latina doll. Addy is pretty much guaranteed to go at this point and Samantha is another suspect. Rebecca has come up in talks but since she's getting new stuff soon I think she's safe for now.

Really?  Are they finally releasing stuff for Rebecca?  :frolic:  My Beckie has been wearing Samantha's stuff lately; I've been wanting to get her new clothes (I'm an AG timeline purist through and through.)  This makes me very happy.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2017, 11:10:29 PM »
Hmmm I really want Addy, too, but I want Josephina more and I can only afford to buy an AG doll once in a blue moon. Things to think about...

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2017, 11:35:13 PM »
scarletjul - Yep! :D She's getting a dress and a totally adorable little game set. I'm not huge on the dress but I adore the games.

ringwraith10 - Good luck figuring things out! Its a bit stressful right now. I wish I had the cash to order Rebecca before there's a chance for her to be changed.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
My advice is to buy what you can from the Historical lines - they may be  retired soon, as they aren't supposedly getting new permapanty bodies, but that could also be AG marketing speak for "We plan on retiring them, so we don't have TWO types of doll bodies for people to switch around if they don't want our NEW dolls." 

yes they released some new stuff for the Historicals,  BUT they did that with everyone before they retired them - trying to capture a few more sales, but in limited quantities, knowing they aren't ordering more....

I took all my GC for Chapters Indigo (the Canadian retailer who took the dolls into their locations), sealed them in an envelope and shoved them at the back of my desk.  No dollies for me.  *Grump grump grump*  If my dolls get more things, it's because they are handmade by someone or they are OG brand.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2017, 07:37:16 AM »
But I am thinking about going to a store and picking up the "new" Felicity. At least it seems that she won't be wearing stupid underwear.

I just want to point out that Felicity will only be sold at the flagship stores. (Chicago, NYC and LA) I see you're in GA. She will not be sold at the Atlanta or either of the FL stores. Sorry. she will be available online though.

sailorstitch

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 16, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »

It is not a prototype Nana's husband bought her at the Orlando store as a Valentine's Day present for Nana. Here's a video Nana made.

https://youtu.be/EK6kFRfjzPg

Well that's horrible quality control :(

Well for everyone here I am going to the sale this summer, at least plan too. My parents health isn't the best so it's hard to tell this far out in advance for sure. They are going to be releasing an item and price list closer to the sale so I can possibly pick up dolls for members here. I think this year is going to be huge with this change people are going to be trying to get any dolls without the underwear change at the sale.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 16, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »

It is not a prototype Nana's husband bought her at the Orlando store as a Valentine's Day present for Nana. Here's a video Nana made.

https://youtu.be/EK6kFRfjzPg

Well that's horrible quality control :(

Well for everyone here I am going to the sale this summer, at least plan too. My parents health isn't the best so it's hard to tell this far out in advance for sure. They are going to be releasing an item and price list closer to the sale so I can possibly pick up dolls for members here. I think this year is going to be huge with this change people are going to be trying to get any dolls without the underwear change at the sale.

I may take you up on that. Last year they had Ivy's Meet accessories. I really wanted those, but on AGPT it's against the rules to ask someone to pick you up something from the MCM sale.

sailorstitch

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 16, 2017, 04:15:47 PM »

I may take you up on that. Last year they had Ivy's Meet accessories. I really wanted those, but on AGPT it's against the rules to ask someone to pick you up something from the MCM sale.

sailorstitch

Understandable I suppose, don't want to flood the sale with resellers. I'll be by myself so I can't pick up too much only what I can carry  :lol: I'll message you closer to sale. Like I said dunno what my situation will be like come summer. Could have stable family or we could be back to every few days in ER visits again.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #312 on: February 17, 2017, 01:01:23 AM »
Melody's PJs arrived today! Amazon is pretty much picked clean as far as outfits go but I've been dying for this set. Maryellen is still in winter hibernation mode (AKA hiding in her box in the closet) so I got Lena to try it on. The buttons are amazing. They're plastic but textured in such a way that they feel like fabric-covered buttons. When I realized this my brain was confused for a moment because its so convincing, haha.

I grabbed Maryellen's crinoline this morning. Does anyone know if they plan to restock the stuff on Amazon? Pretty much all the outfits are gone at this point.

I think I'll go for Wellie Wishers at TRU next. There was another video of a new doll with thin vinyl so I'm still worried.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 17, 2017, 07:09:58 AM »
I almost always get the dolly PJ's when I get a doll.... but Melody's just don't seem worth the $32 CAD to me.... even if the fabric print is pretty sweet.

Of course I say this because I have four GIANT Rubbermaid tubs piled high with fabric.  And a small person who outgrows things, so I always have a supply of fabric on hand to DIY.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #314 on: February 19, 2017, 01:54:04 AM »
I really wish they'd learn to advertise these things literally anywhere, but AG Playthings is back open for registration! :D I have no idea when this happened since it wasn't announced anywhere non-members can see but I'm excited. I think it said approval may take 3-4 weeks but that's not too bad considering how long its been already.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal