collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: American Girl  (Read 44716 times)

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: American Girl
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2016, 11:08:58 AM »
hannaliten - They seem to fit size 10-11, if you haven't found it yet.
Thanks, that helps! Though I was hoping for them to be 11-12, since the girl I'm getting has that sized head and I found some AG wigs I really like. Oh well...

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2016, 12:51:23 AM »
New catalogues arrived yesterday! I have a spare free shipping ($50+ order) code if anyone needs it. Honestly both of my codes will probably be available but I'm crossing my fingers.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2016, 02:08:13 AM »
Hey guys, a friend of mine wants to make me some AG clothes but really can't afford a full AG doll for herself even though she likes them. Do you guy know what knockoff line is closest in size? I can give her my Maryellen's measurements to help but she'd like to have a model to work off of. I have a Springfield doll too but I'm not sure if that's the closest option, although I'm pretty sure its the cheapest if you wait for a 50% off Michael's coupon.

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2016, 09:35:17 AM »
Hey guys, a friend of mine wants to make me some AG clothes but really can't afford a full AG doll for herself even though she likes them. Do you guy know what knockoff line is closest in size? I can give her my Maryellen's measurements to help but she'd like to have a model to work off of. I have a Springfield doll too but I'm not sure if that's the closest option, although I'm pretty sure its the cheapest if you wait for a 50% off Michael's coupon.

I think Springfield dolls are very, very close - their outfits seem to be fully AG compatible, so they're probably a great choice (I know the MA and OG dolls at least have a different body shape, so I wouldn't go for either of those).

Blog

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
Springfield and Our Generation are pretty close, honestly.  Journey Girls are slim body type, so no.

The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

BryteStar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2016, 03:35:48 AM »
I've wanted an AG doll since I was little but they've always been too expensive for me... I honestly want one for play reasons more than artsy or collector ones. :p

Are the Our Generation or Journey Girls dolls as well made and nice as AG?

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2016, 04:58:50 AM »
Thanks for the advice Hervoyel and lovesbabysquirmy! I'll pass it along to her :)

BryteStar - I'm definitely inexperienced with AG since I just got my first at the end of May, but maybe a brand new collector perspective might help you. I got a Springfield doll last year or the year before so I don't have personal experience with OG or JG, but based on what I've seen in stores OG dolls can't even begin to compare to AG. They're not as nicely sculpted or painted and I don't think I could ever own an OG doll now.

When I opened Maryellen, she was heavy. I was really shocked. My Springfield doll is super light (very badly understuffed and squishy) and Ellie just had this weight to her. She stands perfectly in her shoes and just feels like such a high quality doll. Her vinyl is so smooth and soft, the head sculpt is so well done, her paint is so realistic compared to the sometimes completely bizarre choices of OG. I really don't think a $20-30 doll would ever come close to being the same quality. I don't look at JG much in person so I don't have any real impressions there.

As far as off-brand clothes and accessories go, I have some OG clothes and accessories that I love. Things seem to a vary a bit, but overall I love the quality of OG clothes/accessories/playsets. Most of Ellie's shoes are My Life As and they're perfect. I'd never let her outside in her expensive AG shoes but with MLA, I don't have to worry.

I'd suggest trying to find a TLC American Girl doll on eBay or Craigslist. JG dolls seem to be around $30, and when I was poking around with a friend we found some TLC AG in a similar price range. So that might be a good option if you'd prefer AG and are okay with restoration/some flaws.

Here are some Toybox Philosopher reviews that may help:
Our Generation, Our Generation Retro, OG Doll & Playset, Journey Girls, My Life As, AG #29, AG Lea
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 06:45:46 AM by Taxel »

BryteStar

« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2016, 07:03:26 AM »
Wow, thank you so much Taxel! That was super helpful!  :biggrin: Dolls are as new to me as ponies honestly, but that blog is awesome, her reviews are so in-depth!

Since I'm so new to all things dolly I don't think I'm ready for a TLC American Girl yet...but I'll keep one on my want list, in case I find one when I'm feeling more confident about being able to properly take care of her.  :P At least if I go for an OG doll, which is what I'm leaning towards (even though I like the JG faces better, argh) I know that her clothes will fit an AG in the future.

Thank you so much for all your help! :heart:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2016, 09:35:18 AM »
Journey Girls are nice quality but they have that slim body type with the vinyl breastplate so they don't share clothes perfectly with their other 18" soft-bodied counterparts.  Also their feet are just a smidgen bigger than AG so a lot of shoes are a struggle! 

Honestly you can't beat AG for quality - you will be very disappointed with the wig if you go off-brand.  OG don't have the heftiness or much ability to pose as do AG and their hair is a far comparison.

But I have 2 JG's and I do really love them, it's just annoying that all the AG clothes are baggy on them!

But don't despair, there really are lots of ways to get an AG for less than retail - you can get a nicer condition though gently used doll for $50-60 if you are avidly hunting!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:48:14 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »
You're welcome, BryteStar! I'm glad I could help :) TBP has a couple other 18in reviews you might find helpful and her blog is the first place I go when I want to know more about a doll line. She hasn't updated in a while but she's got great reviews of many older lines.

I second the big comment though! My Springfield's wig is a total nightmare. I've gotta get her a new one asap.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2016, 01:10:00 PM »
Another great 18" doll review site:

http://www.justmagicdolls.com/

The Bad Trader List

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2016, 11:43:33 PM »
Wow, thank you so much Taxel! That was super helpful!  :biggrin: Dolls are as new to me as ponies honestly, but that blog is awesome, her reviews are so in-depth!

Since I'm so new to all things dolly I don't think I'm ready for a TLC American Girl yet...but I'll keep one on my want list, in case I find one when I'm feeling more confident about being able to properly take care of her.  :P At least if I go for an OG doll, which is what I'm leaning towards (even though I like the JG faces better, argh) I know that her clothes will fit an AG in the future.

Thank you so much for all your help! :heart:

I would also keep an eye out at thrift stores, if you're actively hunting.  One of my AG girls is from thrift (but I know that I was *very* lucky to find her.)  I've also occasionally found some random AG clothes at thrift.

OG clothes and dolls seem to be common at the thrift stores in my area.

If you do decide you want a historical American Girl doll: Kit, Julie and Samantha seem to be the cheapest/most common on eBay.  Rebecca also seems to go fairly low.  If you decide you want an Our Generation doll, they do go on sale at Target (and sometimes on clearance.)  The accessories often go on sale.  And now might be a good time to shop, since Target is in the midst of mid-season toy markdowns.

Be sure to show pics of whomever you buy.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

BryteStar

« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2016, 02:56:24 AM »
Thank you everyone!!! :heart: I decided to go with an OG girl since they're a price point I can afford more easily right now and I can see if I really do enjoy dolls as much as I think I will. I brought Abril home, and I'm hoping to try knitting her some accessories! I will post some pictures once I've tamed her huge hair a little bit, hehe!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2016, 11:22:30 AM »
I'm excited to see what you make! :D I have some knit/crochet stuff for my girls and its so cute. I think my favorites are the overalls and basket I have.

Omg... guess who just discovered how insanely affordable Girls of Many Lands dolls are?! I didn't even dare to dream it would be possible but omg. Everything else is thrown off my wishlist for now! This is a childhood dream I can afford to come true!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:29:46 PM by Taxel »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal