collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Basic Fun 2023 New Releases: Celestials! RaMC Figures! Plushies! Etc!  (Read 27688 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Fun 2023 New Releases: Celestials! RaMC Figures!
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2023, 01:38:51 PM »
MLP Tales with Miss Hackney as a Chase figure might be an option. That would be interesting, don't you think?

They're animated so in blind bag form it's possible. I don't see them making retro versions of those ponies in full though.

I'm certain now that those placeholder pictures on the box for the RaMC are the pictures they used either to promote their retro release sets or the ones from the boxes. Which makes sense if they aren't ready to use their own yet.

There's part of me that things 40th anniversary is the finale, though, at least for the pony line. I suppose we'll see what happens, but it wouldn't surprise me if they branch out into blind bags more, given their other products in that area, and that might be the bulk of it going forward.

Are there other sets that they didn't release, or are we only dealing with prototypes that look different (like the first tooth baby sundance which was a repeat pony if a different release plan).

The final Celestial's product number is probably 35344, based on the others, but I can't find anything for her at the moment.

It sure would
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2023, 02:22:58 PM »
Not sure these are Colorswirls:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2023, 03:40:38 PM »
I think she's Milky Way, yeah, unless they've changed it from what they had at Toy Fair. which I wouldn't complain if they did, I much prefer Nebula to a recycled name XP

yeah the placeholder is so weird!! I really think they just used whatever G1 images they found first, haha. It's odd they're even using a placeholder when we KNOW they have a proper stock photo of the actual ponies all ready to go... online listings are so weird :P

I'm not sure where I got Nebula as one of the names.  :shrug: For a long time I had Dazzleglow and Starglow mixed up and thought they were the opposite pony.

I'd love a set of MLP ponies with Miss Hackney even if they were blind bag sized. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2023, 09:00:32 AM »
Someone on Facebook posted comparison shots of the Basic Fun Minty from a couple years ago versus the new Basic Fun Minty, and they have slightly different eye styles.  It's hard to describe, but with the first set the eye paint kind of overruns the original eye socket mold.  (Probably to avoid the lizard eye thing that the Hasbro retro Collector ponies had . . . Molds tend to shrink a little when they are recast.)

The eyes do look cuter on the newer set so I guess I'm buying all of them again, ha ha!  Oh, also the two Mintys had slightly different hair shades.  One had white hair, one had more silvery-white.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2023, 09:13:54 AM »
Someone on Facebook posted comparison shots of the Basic Fun Minty from a couple years ago versus the new Basic Fun Minty, and they have slightly different eye styles.  It's hard to describe, but with the first set the eye paint kind of overruns the original eye socket mold.  (Probably to avoid the lizard eye thing that the Hasbro retro Collector ponies had . . . Molds tend to shrink a little when they are recast.)

The eyes do look cuter on the newer set so I guess I'm buying all of them again, ha ha!  Oh, also the two Mintys had slightly different hair shades.  One had white hair, one had more silvery-white.

Does this mean repro Minty is a lizard person?  :P

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2023, 09:38:49 AM »
I'll get back to you on that one after I put on my tinfoil hat :P

I've been thinking about making a custom set of BF Twinkle Eye collector ponies so it all works out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 09:42:21 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2023, 10:13:39 AM »
I'll get back to you on that one after I put on my tinfoil hat :P

I've been thinking about making a custom set of BF Twinkle Eye collector ponies so it all works out.

:snicker:

If you do make that set, please show them off. Would love to see.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2023, 08:21:00 PM »
I am so hyped for the celestial ponies! I really hope I can have the whole set!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2023, 02:48:57 AM »

"They want more green ponies, they say! But you give em a green pony, and suddenly it's lizard this, Bigfoot that!" - A Hasbro exec, probably :lmao:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2023, 07:42:54 AM »

"They want more green ponies, they say! But you give em a green pony, and suddenly it's lizard this, Bigfoot that!" - A Hasbro exec, probably :lmao:

:lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2023, 12:38:50 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2023, 02:38:21 PM »
:lmao: @ Lizard Minty

I'm excited to hear there IS some sort of obvious difference between the 35th/40th though, even if it is just a little nitpicky one :D Was trying to find a reason to justify keeping my 40th CC. Now I need to compare her to my 35th ann. ver!!

A Miss Hackney toy would be AWESOME. And the boys! And Knight Shade. I also want Lady Lessons but she's probably an unrealistic hope :P

and aaaa that photo haunts me XD I wish we could have a closer look at it. They're not Colourswirls, IIRC people that saw the pic in-person said they were experiments with giving ponies horse markings, socks and blazes (like Bubbles/Seashell have). Though the colours are Colourswirl-y so maybe they turned into that set?

I think the Celestials are probably the most "famous" prototype but any proto repros would be amazing. The Princess Furbobs and Pony Friends dolls are probably my most-wanted after the Celestials (I'm aware they're also the least likely to happen :P) but even an alt. pose/gimmick/etc proto like FT Baby Sundance, Blue Pretty Beat etc would be great.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2023, 06:58:42 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if that did happen, but it's interesting seeing it closer up (sorry, too busy laughing at Lizard Minty to reply to the picture question LOL). I do think that there's a chance the flower fantasy or the colorswirls were actually derivative from the Celestial idea. The box art for the Celestials seems around the same time, so maybe not - but I've always wondered whether that was where the idea ended up.

...I'm sure there are pipecleaner wings on some of those prototypes.

I'd love to have Lady Lessons more than Miss Hackney, I admit, but either would be amazing. Or a set, you know, with Ace, Lancer and Teddy. But I'm thinking again more blind bags. I don't see these ever being actual ponies, I'm sure they were invented for the show. Blind bag releases of the tales ponies could even include the family ponies, though, as well as a couple of non-made characters (Squire? Meadowlark?) as chases.

I'm getting carried away with the idea but it's something BF and Hasbro haven't touched since G1 happened, and the US release basically abandoned the concept before it could do anything stateside. It'd be like the impact of Glory, Medley etc here, because the recollection of growing up with something vs never having the toys sticks in the mind.

Just something I'd like to see.

I don't need BF to make the Tales ponies/7 Characters. Unless they made them different poses, I wouldn't buy them, since my sister and I had all of the original set from new. BUT I can see why they'd be a good choice if pitching to a US market. There's actual animated media still around and that would help.

Providing they know those are G1 of course. Bronies haven't helped with that misconception.

I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't go after that for the anniversary. Maybe they don't have all the poses...? Patch, Clover would be difficult...but Melody and Starlight are posey, Bright Eyes is Tootsie, Bon Bon and Sweetheart are Bow Tie. They have 5/7.

If they made Patch and Clover using the poses they do have - maybe one of them sitting down (Clover? LOL) then...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2023, 05:37:12 AM »
The Amazon listing for the RaMC set has been updated with proper photos of the figures!

It's soooo good to see them properly. They're SO CUTE! :lovey: :lovey:

Re: the Fair photo - yes, I think there's a good chance the Celestials turned into FFs and/or Colourswirls, too. They're similar enough ideas that I'd be surprised if it was a total coincidence, anyway.

I found the old thread for these pics, that has a slightly bigger/higher quality version of the photo:
https://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=380943.msg1566772#msg1566772

According to that thread, the ponies with socks, blazes etc were called something like Patchwork Ponies or Quilt Ponies.

Repro Tales ponies would be lovely :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2023, 07:36:53 AM »
Ooh, I do like those. Especially seeing AJ/CC in walking poses, it's refreshing :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal